On Hold Subaru BRZ From Beam Ng

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by benjysane, Jul 20, 2013.

1. benjysane

benjysane
    Expand Collapse

Bonjour tout le monde , je présentai mon deuxième modèle qui est bien loin d'être fini , si vous avez part des conseils ou remarques que ce que je fais quelque chose de mal, ne pas hésiter . Donc je déjà très avancée dans la modélisation , je mets quelques des photos . Tell moi ce que vous pensez . J'ai fait le côté rapidement , mais il a été tout à fait manqué si je sépare chaque partie de la carrosserie .
    Désolé pour mon anglais (je suis français et je l'utilise un traducteur)

Attached Files:

• BRZ1.jpg
    • BRZ2.jpg
    • BRZ3.jpg
    • BRZ4.jpg
    • BRZ5.jpg
    • BRZ6.jpg
    • BRZ7.jpg
    • BRZ8.jpg
    #1 benjysane, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Re: Subaru BRZ From Beam Ng (Toyota GT86,Scion FRS)

Are you afraid of poly's or something? So damn boxy...

3. benjysane

benjysane
    Expand Collapse

I did not understand what you say

• Like Like x 1
  4. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

He said that you can apply a lot more polygons to make it look better. Cars made by Gabester are around 50-70k polygons.

5. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Basically I said this looks like your first mesh.

6. benjysane

benjysane
    Expand Collapse

I done gradually , I currently work on the inside of the frame

Attached Files:

• BRZ9.jpg
  7. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

I see that you have some skills, but your method of extruding each piece once lengthways makes your mesh difficult to manage in later stages. So, to help you and other budding vehicle modellers, I present Zappy's Clean and Simple Modelling Tutorial.

I'll be modelling a rough approximation of the GT86 door.
    First step is to add a plane and delete all but one vertex. Align the remaining vertex in the corner of door. I've started at the bottom left. Highlight the vertex and extrude it up along the outline of the SIDE of the door, like so:
    Tip: Holding 'Shift' while extruding will enable a precision mode, facilitating accurate vertex placement.

(imported from here)

Next, highlight all the vertices (pressing 'b' and dragging with the LMB will multiselect vertices) and extrude to the right, like so:
    Tip: pressing 'x', 'y', or 'z' will constrain the extrusion to its respective axis, making a much cleaner and precise mesh.

(imported from here)

Continue extruding at regular intervals until you reach the other side of the panel. You could probably get away with doing half the number of extrusions I did :s
    Align the vertices so they fit snug against the outline of your reference, and adjust stray vertices (like the ones along the bottom) as required:

(imported from here)

Now, we have our door in two dimensions. Add depth by adjusting your view so depth can be judged easily, highlighting a row of vertices, then grabbing and moving them along the x-axis:

(imported from here)

Rinse and repeat until your door matches the dimensions of the door on the real car. Fine details can be added later on. This method can be applied to model most parts.

(imported from here)

That's my method of building things- it might not be the most efficient, but it works fine for me. To those who are more experienced than I, let me know if I'm spreading misinformation or bad habits ;)

Bon courage avec le voiture, Monsieur benjysane.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

No there's a more efficient way :p
    Line up the verts on the side of the door like you did. Then, extrude them all the way to the other end of the door, and line them up with the door shape. Now you add edge loops where needed for smoothness, this keeps the mesh clean :)

9. benjysane

benjysane
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for this is valuable advice,I would try to apply : D

10. benjysane

benjysane
    Expand Collapse

Is this better like this,how should I do to smooth two elements and let an angle between them

Attached Files:

• BRZ10.jpg
    • BRZ11.jpg
    • Probleme 1.jpg
  11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

It looks very nice so far.

Here are the things that i think may be issues. I have numbered them because i realize you may want to google translate the text.

1. Triangles are bad, they are difficult to subdivide and generally cause a messy model. To be honest you haven't done too bad there.

2. This doesn't work very well because the point does not connect to the square next to it. This in general may cause many issues down the line.

3. You should try and keep the lines straighter. If you middle click (press down scroll wheel) you can select which axis you wish to move in which will help you a lot.

Hope this helps and please correct me if i am wrong on any of these points. Just so no one complains i have avoided more technical words for the sake of google translate in the hope it does better
    :p

EDIT: I have no idea why my text is two tones of black and grey. The editor says they are the same colour and i cant seem to fix it. Sorry about that.
    EDIT 2: Ermergerd the edit is also grey :/ So much OCD

Attached Files:

• BRZ10.jpg
    #11 aljowen, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  12. Treevus

Treevus
    Expand Collapse

This isn't true. If you go around looking at wire-frames of car models, you will see that many if them use triangles as a way to keep the poly-count low in curved areas such as headlights and fenders. Even in windows too. :)

#12 Treevus, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

i can give you that one. there definitely are exceptions to the first rule.

14. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, you need to align all your verts as they are not in a straight or even equally curved line. Don't use too many polys to start off with otherwise it will all be lumpy...

15. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

Woah, you have way too many edge loops :p
    You can delete ? of them.

16. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Selectionner les sommets que vous voulez angle, appuyez sur Ctrl + E, puis selectionnez "division d'aretes".
    (Select the vertices you would like angled, press CTRL+E, then select Edge Split)

17. 0xsergy

0xsergy
    Expand Collapse

Way too many segments lengthwise. That door should be 4, maybe 5 segments at most. Not 10.

18. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

Those edges are really messy. A nice rule of thumb for making nice models is to make sure that your edges look like nice orthogonal shapes from every angle while representing the shape they're, well, representing. So from the side they'll look nice and smooth, from the front they'll nice and smooth, so on so forth, all the while your edges will be echoing the actual shape of their surface.

I like to imagine them like ripples, the shape of the verts 'exploding' out from the 'stress' points of the complex points of the shape, like say the door handle, a sharp angle or converging of curves, the shape fading out along the surface of the mesh, meeting with other shapes. I find this does a lot of work in engines to contort the shading to better describe your model, but mabye that's just seeing something that isn't there, iunno.

Oh, and personally, i say model simple outlines and loop cut the detail in when you're assured of the basic shape. managing all the edge loops from the get go is a nightmare, and will always hurt the final mesh

#18 TrilbyHarlow, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  19. benjysane

benjysane
    Expand Collapse

Good evening,I have applied your advice,is this better?

- - - Updated - - -

And also thank you for all advice

Attached Files:

• BRZ12.jpg
  20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That is much much better. Tres bien :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice