Proposed Camera Changes

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Xphome, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Xphome

Xphome
    Expand Collapse

Right now if you have moved forward and set the camera a specific way, then move backwards the camera will rotate (which is fine) but it won't rotate to the standard "going backwards" view (which is annoying) instead you get the mirrored view. I'd like the camera to be more similar to other games, like GTA where if you just moved the camera it will stay in that position no matter what you do and then after a while go back to either viewing forward or back (depending on if you are going forward or backwards). Also the camera right now feels a bit sluggish, like it has momentum.

2. CoffeeCrazy

CoffeeCrazy
    Expand Collapse

I think it would also be great if there was the option to remap the camera controls (Without getting into the complicated config files).

#2 CoffeeCrazy, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. superhobo666

superhobo666
    Expand Collapse

Personally I feel like the camera controls themselves are awful.

You sit there for 20 minutes flailing your mouse about like a spastic turdburgler, and one of a few things happens.

1. Nothing
    2. Nothing.
    3. Camera moves two pixels in the wrong direction.
    4. Nothing.
    5. Camera jumps to the next side of the vehicle and locks there, won't move again.
    6. Nothing.
    7. Camera movement is very jittery.

Mind you, it's not my computer or mouse, I'm running a higher tier gaming PC, with a high end Gaming mouse, no other game behaves this way.

perhaps they should look at other games and see how the mouse for camera behaves, and lets you look where you want to look, with the angle you want.

That's by far my only really big annoyance with this game.

4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

we will improve the mouse issues, i guess since it doesn't happen here, the bug is framerate dependend and happens so drastically on your end as you have such a good frame rate?

5. Austin

Austin
    Expand Collapse

It's possible. I've all but given up using the mouse to control the camera. The numpad works most of the time but sometimes even it get's locked in a position and won't move unless you tap a key over and over again. I'm getting 120+ FPS.

6. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

So thats the reason then, as thats lots more FPS than here. Need a faster computer ;)

Will work on fixing the issue now.

7. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Are any aspects of the camera's movement configurable in the current version? The only real problem I have is how much momentum the camera seems to have, it's quite sluggish and doesn't tightly follow the car.

8. postman

postman
    Expand Collapse

It would also be pretty nice to have different camera views in the Cliff level. I really want to try that with a first person camera.

9. superhobo666

superhobo666
    Expand Collapse

I have the same case as above, I get over 100 FPS, but the camera function doesn't work at all. I also feel like turning radius should be tuned down to the range of 400-500

10. LeafBox

LeafBox
    Expand Collapse

I would be happy if the camera just stayed put and did'nt circle around all the time ;_;

11. MisterCrow

MisterCrow
    Expand Collapse

Having a Camera Reset button would help a lot. I like watching the crashes in slow motion from different angles and having to manually move the camera back each time is cumbersome. Just a single button press to reset the camera behind the car would be super useful!

12. Xphome

Xphome
    Expand Collapse

Numpad 5 resets camera.

13. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

If you're playing with an Xbox 360 controller there already is a camera reset, just click the right analog stick.

14. MisterCrow

MisterCrow
    Expand Collapse

Oh man, I totally didn't try either of those, thanks guys!

15. AstonishingA

AstonishingA
    Expand Collapse

I will just chuck my 2 cents in here,
    I would like to be able to move the camera around like you can at the moment, (ie move so you are looking down the left hand side of the car, then when you drive the camera stays in that position)
    Instead or camera reset button, hold the button down to look behind you and when you release the button it puts the camera back to default position behind you.
    So for instance if you are driving around moving the camera around you to look at your car and want to put the camera back to default position behind the car all you have to do is tap the lookbehind you button

I hope you can understand what I'm getting at here :D

16. MisterCrow

MisterCrow
    Expand Collapse

It'd be nice if there a mode to disable the smart camera and just have it look at a rotation value. Without the acceleration either, just have it 1:1 with the mouse movement, it should be easier to move the camera around.

Also invert mouse PLEASE!

#16 MisterCrow, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  17. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

i agree - camera needs improvement
    it is very annoying when the camera is lost
    and not shows direction of movement

i reseting camera by num-5 all the time - and it did not help much
    (im not use mouse for camera.. it very slow - only num keys)

also camera must be restarted "num-5" after any "reset car" - now it is not..

ps. good point about gta game camera \ many arcade games can be good reference

18. AlexanderHC

AlexanderHC
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to change the inverted look on the Controller input?
    Kind of drives me crazy when you are trying to look up or down, especially in first person view! :p

19. Candlekeeper

Candlekeeper
    Expand Collapse

Edit: Nevermind, found the camera reset for the 360 pad.

20. BreadForMen

BreadForMen
    Expand Collapse

Possibly, just keep the camera the same as RoR where you set the camera at a spot you like, and it stays until you reset/move it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice