WIP Beta released Foothill Mines V3

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Driv3r1142, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I am starting a new thread for Foothill Mines V4, since this thread is filled with me trying to figure out the terrain editor and also a bit of me complaining about my PC. So its time for a fresh thread. V3 will still be here for download, although all development will be moved to a new thread. This version will remain up for compatibility issues and as a stable version in case I put out a bad release of V4 by accident.

The rest below, is an edited version of the original thread;

IF YOU HAVE V2 OR AN OLDER VERSION, REMOVE THAT VERSION ENTIRELY!

Im sure you dont have an older version, but check and remove the older version if you have it.

My first terrain. Get off the beaten path and you will discover more than just pavement for your cars!

Welcome to the Foothill Mines, Or Foothills for short. An old desolate abandoned part of the foothills, located somewhere on the earth. Old roads and buildings are sure to give you both a good and hard time. But if the roads are not hard enough for you, there are plenty of caves left over from years past for you to try your luck in. Be warned, These caves kill even the best of rock crawlers!

Current credits
    BeamNG.Drive devs. for the use of the default textures, buildings, Trees, and smallgrid map(As a base for this map)
    DoullPepper for the Canyon of Speed textures.(His map is great too, Go check it out!)
    And credit to all who have assisted me in the testing of this map.

More credits will be added as I get further into the development of this map.
    Want to help me out some? Post ideas here, and I will take them into consideration. And feel free to point out issues with the map, so I can correct them.

PICTURES(3/16/15; Current, V3.)

foothills_preview.jpg

screenshot_00066.png

PREVIEW;(Note; I am working on a better one, for now, its a simple short clip with some music I made. This is of the OLD V4, but everything you see in this clip is in V3.)

This video is of the old V4, which I lost in an update. The stuff seen in this video may or may not be in the new V4!

Attached Files:

#1 Driv3r1142, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Re: Foothill Mines

George likes... George wants

:)

3. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I want to release this as a beta in a few days. I just have to smooth the roads a bit more and texture the terrain.

I would like some advice on how to smooth the roads in my level.
    screenshot_00012.png You see, this is the area in question; I need to smooth it out so you can speed up/down it without flying and damaging your car. neither the slope smoother or the flat smoothing tool do any good here. Can someone tell me what I should do?

#3 Driv3r1142, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  4. xerodephex

xerodephex
    Expand Collapse

Wow! This looks really good! The only thing I find weird is the building in the ground in the 2nd picture.

5. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, Can you show me what you mean? I dont see any buildings in the ground in any way unusual to me.
    And I am trying to upload the .ZIP for testing, but the damm art folder is too big.(Compressed the zip is 471 MB)
    Help?

6. xerodephex

xerodephex
    Expand Collapse

The building on the right is in the ground. About the art folder- sadly I don't know what to do because I'm kind of new. Wish I knew because i'd love to play on this map.:(

7. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Oh, that building; Its the way I want it. Most buildings in this map are set into the ground a bit, and its quite realistic for the Terrain. First image the house is sunken into the ground, as for its on a sandy area, and it has had time to sink.

And about the art folder, Well, Transplanting files can cause a large 730 MB folder of art.

8. jetcoasterfan

jetcoasterfan
    Expand Collapse

Add vast underground mines to explore and drive around.

9. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

You probably have 3 levels worth of useless art that needs to be removed. Common occurrence with many tutorials saying to bring over entire
    art folders from other levels.

10. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

tipp:
    1. find out what files you want/need for your map,
    2.make a new "art" folder and copypaste only the needed stuff in there,
    3.make new "material" files and copypaste the needed stuff from a existing one and edit the datapaths to your level.
    (like: levels/your map/art/-)

...works for me

#10 Ghost187, Mar 7, 2015
  11. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I was able to reduce it ennough to upload. The canyon of speed textures are what make it so big.
    And sadly, all the textures are needed.
    Now, anyone experiencing bugs with this terrain? I want someone without canyon of speed to test this and see if I need to redo the materials.cs text file.
    [EDIT; I made a test to see if I could change the texture routing, I will upload it once I can test it.]

- - - Updated - - -

I will. I want to figure out some bugs first.
    And can someone give me some pics to use as for what to make the mines with? Like textures and such?
    Any contributions would be helpful.
    The whole idea was a mining town, which is where you spawn in. BTW: does the map work for you?

#11 Driv3r1142, Mar 7, 2015
  12. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

anything in mind on how to make these "mines"?
    like with not being able to make holes in terrainblocks.

13. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I may get creative with static objects. Right now, I need to get someone to test this and tell me how the map works. can you do that? Its too much of a pain for me to test on my other PC's.

14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Tunnel structures are not currently feasible with terrains in Torque. You will need to make "roof" meshes and texture over them. The tunnel/mine
    in GridMap is an example of that on an epic level I believe.

Your download has the map named as smallgrid. I suggest you get all the folders and files named to your level. It wrote over my stock small grid
    without asking.:mad:

#14 Aboroath, Mar 7, 2015
  15. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I will look into it, I never intended to add drivable mines, BUT I can do it if people will test this map for me and let me know the bugs so I can safely continue releasing betas. Right now Im just working on adding collapsed mineshaft's using existing static objects from the default maps.
    I used to be a mapmaker on ROBLOX(BrightAndCreative is the account I use,) So I do have some experience at laying out a map.
    I wish I could figure out how to turn my exported maps into BeamNG maps... only thing is that I cant make a height-map from meshes.

Guys. PLEASE TEST This map and post your bugs so I can figure out what to do. This is not a one man task. There is a reason why I released a beta; I need testers.

16. mecke96

mecke96
    Expand Collapse

It sounds that a lot of people have some problems with it. Have not downloaded it because of the big size of the map and with my slow Internet. If you need support i can give it to you. I have also made a tutorial with videos in the "content creation" posts.

But you have already done a lot on the track and i think it will be hard to follow the tutorials to fix them.

Contact me on skype and i will help you :)

skypename: melkerfox

17. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Its not impossible to fix. I have already lost some textures from correcting the material.cs files.
    And I dont use skype, so I cant talk to you.
    Please describe the issues, and are they actually reading my post?

- - - Updated - - -

I warned people it would overwrite the map. Can I have some advice as to how to do this? And how did it load for you?

18. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Map loaded with out a sun or sky, vehicle spawn was still at old GM coordinates, no basetex or terrain materials. It loaded just as if the heightmap had been
    imported and nothing else. I'm learning all this as well and my only advice for you right now is several things:

Every single file everywhere needs to have the level name. EVERY SINGLE FILE/FOLDER. It shows up as small_grid in the level selector.

Pursuant to the above go into ALL document folders EVERYWHERE and locate the newly updated .mis for your level, copy and move it to contents\YOUR LEVEL.
    Overwrite the original .mis with it. The updated .mis will show it's date and modification time and should be newer than the one sitting in the contents/level spot.

Another piece of advice, from here on out get someone to do a private beta test. Releasing a map like this makes people want to run for the hills.
    Another piece of advice, say please and thank you more often. You are coming across like a selfish asshole.

And finally an observation, if you've made maps elsewhere and have experience doing beta testing of any sort your approach here makes that story very
    suspect. Cheers.

19. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Well, Me being an asshole is your perspective, not what I intended to get across. Sorry you have that impression of me.
    Have you tried the latest version? And did you transplant the .ter file to the right location?
    I have repeatedly gone through my .cs files and renamed the level paths.
    I know what you mean by the updated .mis file. The map loaded correctly for me on my laptop. Let me do a clean test and get back to you ok?
    The loading issues are of cache problems. All files that belong in the cache have to be manually placed. I get foothill mines as the name of my map.
    And please dont walk away with the idea that im an asshole. Its kinda difficult to test a map and I cant get the testers to say much more than it overwrites.
    Thank you for posting. you are the first to actually post something other than it overwrites the smallgrid. And if you tried the new version, and it didn't work for you, try uninstalling the entire mod and reinstalling it, placing all the cache files in their correct places.
    If you have a fix, I would appreciate a more in depth response on it.
    Thanks for posting.

20. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I did not say you were an asshole merely that you were coming across as one. I don't think you are an asshole at all, just extremely frustrated like I am.
    I'm at work right now and away from the machine but I will gladly do what I can to give feedback on your map later. As for the version I looked at I
    downloaded and ran it this morning. I want to get this figured out just as bad as you do my friend.:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice