Released Matrix Freeway 1.7

6KM-long freeway inspired by the Matrix: Reloaded

1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Never take the freeway. It's suicide.

Freeway7.png

This is a semi-accurate recreation of the setting for the famous Freeway Chase, a nearly 20-minute long action sequence from the [otherwise misguided] 2003 action film, the Matrix Reloaded. The current build supports waypoint AI, allowing for high-speed chases around the freeway's bends and on its overpasses.

Freeway8.png

Installation

As of the inception of BeamNG's mod repository, the installation no longer requires unzipping. Simply place the full .zip under Documents>BeamNG.drive>mods and enjoy.

As a further result of these changes, I cannot verify the functionality of the color ramp. Follow the instructions below at your own risk.

The download also includes a color ramp meant to mimic the color-tweaked appearance of the Matrix films. To use it, remove it from the map folder, and put in in the main installation area of BeamNG under core>scripts>client>postfx. Then, while in game, press ESC, and navigate to the PostFX Manager window under the 'graphics' tab of the options menu. Due to recent updates, the selection method has gotten a bit tricky, so replace the default 'null_color_ramp.png' with the custom 'color_ramp_matrix.png' by literally typing or pasting the latter over the former in the text box. Do not use it while it's in the map directory, or else you'll get something very trippy.

Content Warning

Do not distribute this map to other websites or use its content in your own projects without my permission. If you ask my permission, you're likely to get it anyway, so, really, just ask. It doesn't take long.

Update Notes:

As of October 23, 2016, the freeway is a little longer, features some middle-ground buildings outside the walls, and features a brief patch of alternate pavement.

Attached Files:

#1 Occam's Razer, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Insanegaz

Insanegaz
    Expand Collapse

Re: Matrix Freeway

Nice little section of road thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

This is cool. More freeway is always good. Will make for some nice props.:cool:

4. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

opened map, 1st thing: enabled anisotropic filtering on materials.
    2nd: slapped some normals around

thoughts?

+
    screenshot_00000.png the sidewalks dont seem to have a texture. ?

#4 Ghost187, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I don't think those are sidewalks but rather some sort of HOV lane. I'd prefer it be asphalt with the nice fat divider line.

Good for crashing sit yet.
    screenshot_00004.png

6. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

They're not sidewalks, they're some form of inside shoulder/divider lane. I can't quite say, as I don't live in anyplace urban enough to have its own counterpart. And it does have a texture, it's probably just being blown out from the light. If I make any updates, I'll try to add a little more texture and color to that mesh.

Edit: and make the freeway longer.

I need to spend a little more time with the materials, I guess. Anisotropic filtering does wonders for the road surface, but the details in just about every other material are too vague to bother applying it map-wide. Good catch, though.

As for the normals, I'm not too keen on adding large amounts of detail to a surface. I'm not quite sure why. At any rate, the real-world freeway set was built on some abandoned runways, and therefore was pretty smooth.

#6 Occam's Razer, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

Don't you hate it when there's traffic?

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00003.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

Good idea to do this

9. Monsieur

Monsieur
    Expand Collapse

Really good job, if you plan to make it longer it would be awesome!

10. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

I like how its even tinted a little green in the OP. Attention to detail

11. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

I like the map but the colorramp does not work. The option menu keeps changing it to null_color_ramp.png.

12. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Hmm. Can you upload a few images or perhaps a short video? I'm not at all an expert on troubleshooting, but perhaps I can give some small direction.

- - - Updated - - -

I just updated the download. The road material now includes anisotropic filtering, and the freeway is now much longer.

A note for any current or aspiring map makers using the current build of Beam, saving the level in the editor will place map-critical files under Beamng.drive>levels, even if your map files aren't in there. That's why the initial release freeway was about 1.5km long, as opposed to the 5-6km it was on my computer at the time of release. Sorry about that.

13. Your Cat

Your Cat
    Expand Collapse

(T75 heavy plow is seen in the distance)

14. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I just updated the map again. It's a few extra kilometers in length, now features a spawn sphere so the map won't start with the player sticking out of the ground, and has some textures tweaked a bit for accuracy's sake.

15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Had to re-enable anisotropic filtering with latest edition. Wonder if this is yet another issue with 0.3.7.7 messing with Torque.

16. Monsieur

Monsieur
    Expand Collapse

this map get better and better. Keep up the good work! i really like it. thanks for making it.

17. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

No, sorry, that's just my bad file management tendencies. I'll get a new one uploaded momentarily.

Edit: Yup, there.

18. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, after I enabled it and re-started Beam it held.:cool: I agree how this is getting better and a definite thanks for releasing!

19. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

How exactly did you get the colour ramp to work? Whenever I select the colour ramp nothing happens and it defaults to null_color_ramp.png. This is in 0.3.7.7

20. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Suggestion for fun: Spawn 5-9 vehicles. One by one send them straight down the road. Follow behind with the last vehicle and watch the goodness.:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice