Audio format test

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by aljowen, Apr 10, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

So Lets do a test. Which audio format sound the best?
    This is to test whether audio format and settings actually make any difference to human ears.

Music details:
    I am using a small snippet of audio due to fair use / copyright laws. The album is pay what you like so you can get the full album for free anyway.

Song: Intrepid Journey
    Album: Redemption
    Artist: Aaron Static
    Get the album/song here (pay what you like): http://thisisforyouaus.bandcamp.com/album/redemption

Method:
    The original flac file was cropped within Audacity and then exported to multiple different file types within Audacity. I then used Any Video Converter by Anvsoft to convert them all back to flac files out of convenience (batch converting) while taking a list of which each file corresponds to. The internet will then vote on what it prefers.

The File types are:
    flac (the original file)
    mp2 (384kb/s)
    mp3 (80kb/s)
    mp3 (192kb/s)
    mp3 (320kb/s)
    ogg vorbis (quality level 0)
    ogg vorbis (quality level 10)

How to cast your votes: (No longer available)
    The files are attached in a zip file, just extract it to your desktop and then delete when you are done.
    Fill in the Google Form that can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YPDBlFv9ORMzgyW6C98i-brVDhbdh8oIG3V032Na34k/viewform

Results:
    All results are anonymous, feel free to discuss your thoughts below but please dont use that discussion as a basis for your opinion.

Results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YP...032Na34k/viewanalytics#start=publishanalytics
    File relationships:
    File 1 = mp3 80
    File 2 = MP2 384
    File 3 = flac
    File 4 = vorbis 0
    File 5 = vorbis 10
    File 6 = mp3 192
    File 7 = mp3 320
    Everyone got the naff format correct, one person got the flac file and the other 2 guessed that the 320kb/s mp3 was the best. The person with the Afterglow AG.1 gaming headset got the correct format, my guess is that it was luck but they responded saying that they were fairly certain so who knows, they were equally as sure as the guy with the Valhalla 2 and HD800's which probably says everything that needs to be said.

File sizes
    File sizes.png
    I was fairly impressed by the lowest quality ogg file since it sounded pretty damn good despite being even smaller than the rather appalling mp3 80kb/s. So if you really want to save space ogg is the format for you. Since most people thought that mp3 320 kb/s was the best sounding it makes a pretty good argument for using it, it is considerably smaller than the flac file and arguably just as good.

Thanks to anyone who responded :)

Attached Files:

#1 aljowen, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Will do once I get home.

3. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Done. Yes? Would it be OK if I put this test on reddit, pre-extracted?

#3 Kitteh5, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, preferably if you can link to the same response page so that all results are together. Feel free.

5. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

#5 Kitteh5, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. Jacob Hoppe

Jacob Hoppe
    Expand Collapse

would love to test, but vlc crashes every time i open this file 1

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Thats odd, is it just file 1 or is it any file?

If possible you could try opening it with a different music player. VLC should be able to open flac files so im not sure what the issue there is. Personally i use Foobar 2000 to play music, all not awful media players will sound the same, its just the user interface.

8. Jacob Hoppe

Jacob Hoppe
    Expand Collapse

every one, though it's not just your file. let me try MPC-HC and get back to you.

Works with MPC-HC, doesnt with vlc on win8.1

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have now added the results, there were 3 responses.

10. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Only 3..... I chose the MP3 320k, the FLAC I thought was close. Maybe classical music might have been an easier pick. It's easy to find the differences in the instruments.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I did think about that before the test but ultimately it came down to this being a freely available bit of music that is in a high quality audio format to begin with. Its a shame there were only 3 responses.

I have also added file size information to the first post as well. I am super impressed by that ogg file that is smaller than the naff 80kb/s mp3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice