1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Tutorial - How to play BeamNG DRIVE with a PS3 controller

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeroPie, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ZeroPie

ZeroPie
    Expand Collapse

Some of you are probably a bit annoyed over the hyper-steering and the aggressive acceleration from the keyboard and you're thinking controllers, but unfortunately you don't have an Xbox 360 controller. Fear not! I will help you set up your PS3 controller.
    First things first, there is one program you need to be able to make this work, it's called MotionInJoy and it's completely free, HERE is a direct download link OR if you don't like ads and the need of being connected to the internet while using it, use THIS program but you will need THESE MotionInJoy drivers installed first. (Thanks for the suggestion SuperBagel ;P)

Now onto the step-by-step tutorial:

1. Run the .exe inside the .zip file, or extract it first and scan for any viruses if you want. The program should now install.

2. When it's done installing, open it up and plug your PS3 controller into a free USB slot on the computer before doing anything else.

3. Click the 'Driver Manager' tab and you should see one or two ports, now use the checkbox on the port you have plugged your PS3 controller in, or if you're not sure which one it is, check both.

4. Click 'Load Driver' (You may have to allow the drivers to be installed through a Windows popup)

5. When it is done installing the drivers, click the 'Profiles' tab and choose your PS3 controller in the drop-down labeled 'Connected Game Controller'

6. Now select 'Xinput-Default Xbox 360 Controller Emulator' below. (we want to do this because it gives the same controls and such as the 360 controller, wich BeamNG is compitable with)

7. Click 'Enable' further down and click 'Vibration Testing'.

If your PS3 controller vibrated when you clicked 'Vibration Testing', you're good to go!
    Thank you for reading and have fun!

#1 ZeroPie, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking about doing this, but you beat me to it! Also, are you going to add this to the wiki?

3. Fred22

Fred22
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I did this too. I recommend changing the bindings to that triangle and circle change the simulation speed (bullet time).

4. SuperBagel

SuperBagel
    Expand Collapse

There's a bit of a mixed opinion to MotionInJoy. Some people have no issues, some people have had to re-install their entire operating system due to it messing with drivers. I don't want to sound paranoid or bias, but the software is filled with ads, won't function without an active internet connection and talks to remote servers in China. It has also opened dodgy web pages without me doing anything. I would personally stay clear of the software.

There is a program which can use the drivers installed by MotionInJoy, but offline, with no ads and no talking to remote servers - Better DS3. You need to have MotionInJoy driver version 0.7.1001 installed first (which you can get from here) before you can use Better DS3. I have tried Better DS3 on a friend's computer and it worked well, does everything MotionInJoy can.

#4 SuperBagel, Aug 6, 2013
  5. BigMorgan

BigMorgan
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for sharing. I've been using a DualShock 2 controller with MotionInJoy for about a year and have always hated the software. Fortunately I've dodged any an all bullets but I'll be switching to Better DS3 immediately if it has the same functionality. Right now Drive is working GREAT with my DS2 set to emulate a X360 gamepad. :D

6. Pyroxyde

Pyroxyde
    Expand Collapse

Mhm, I have an unofficial PS3 controller and it works fine without any software...
    By the way, my unofficial PS2 gamepad isn't working (DirectInput failed to enable).

If someone want the Inputmap of my Essentiel B PS3 controller, here it is :

7. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

MotioninJoy has always worked great for me.:confused:

8. Lentomakkara

Lentomakkara
    Expand Collapse

Nice, I like the better DS3. I'll have to wait a week for my G27 to arrive so I rather use my PS3 controller than the keyboard.

9. ZeroPie

ZeroPie
    Expand Collapse

I might do that soon! :p

I've never had any problems with MotionInJoy, except for the ads wich are just in the way.
    But this sounds good so I'll edit the post and add it as an alternative choice of download!

10. SuperBagel

SuperBagel
    Expand Collapse

Glad I could help, and thanks for putting Better DS3 as an alternative download ZeroPie!

#10 SuperBagel, Aug 7, 2013
  11. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I use motioninjoy. Just plug and play in this game.

12. bones2oo21

bones2oo21
    Expand Collapse

I get that every time i plug in my ps3 wheel

There was an error.

Exception: No Device found! Make sure you have pluged in the device correctly and have loaded the driver. Module: FormMain Method: FindDevice
    Click OK to continue.

also before u say i forgot to go into driver manger this is what it shows with my controller plugged in.

motioninjoy.png

Any other ideas to get my ps3 wheel to work with beamng would be awesome.
    specs: HORI RACING WHEEL 3 model: UHP3-70 made for the ps3 but works on my pc for euro truck sim and ROR just fine

#12 bones2oo21, Aug 7, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice