1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

When is local multiplayer planned for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChicagoToad, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ChicagoToad

ChicagoToad
    Expand Collapse

I know local multiplayer is planned for future updates and I was wondering if it was something that is going to be implemented early in the game's development or if it's closer to the end. I understand that's it must not be a feature that is too high in your to-do list, I was just curious because I know I would have a blast playing that with friends. Also, is it going to be two players only or is it going to be possible to be more? Anyway, I love your game and I'm really excited for future updates!

2. Stryder237

Stryder237
    Expand Collapse

I agree that a timetable, or some form of indication as to when updates will be available would be nice, however I wouldn't want that to stress the developers out out of fear of missing a deadline.
    I too am looking forward to local multiplayer, a demo derby with these physics will be great.

3. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I'm really looking forward to LAN. I have two computers and I could have a lot of fun with my brother.

4. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

Any kind of multiplayer is going to come with a can of worms. I know in a game such as Grid, the hit box on the car was constant, and most damage was local. I played a lot of online demo derby with friends, and I noticed that even if the front of the car was deformed or crushed, the impact would still happen where an undamaged bumper existed. From a visual standpoint, it means you experience collisions, without seeing the models touch each other. All of the cars' damages were computed locally, and sent to everyone else asynchronously, so you could be driving along, and suddenly the visual damage for the opponent was loaded. It was pretty funny to watch sometimes. But I digress.

My point is this:
    Earlier, I read that gabester did not want to have a fake implementation like most games. This was in reference to tire physics, but I think we can assume that this is the mindset that the devs have across the board. I'm very interested to see how this is tackled from an engineering standpoint; it's definitely nontrivial.

5. ChicagoToad

ChicagoToad
    Expand Collapse

I didn't play a lot of RoR but multiplayer seemed to work alright. Maybe I'm mistaken though, like I said, I didn't play a lot of it. That's why I'm excited for local multiplayer, it's so simple and I know it's going to be a lot of fun. Overgrowth is another indie game that does local multiplayer on the PC very well. Maybe the devs should even take some idea from Overgrowth, like how the screen separation works (but maybe that wouldn't work since Overgrowth is 3rd person and you control characters not cars...)

6. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

I've not played either ... but I have seen RoR gameplay, but no damage therein.

Maybe the big issues have been tackled, maybe they're still being pondered. We can't know where they are until they tell us :p

my fps-playing friends say that the engine will compute what it thinks is the future, which can lead to problems if you don't do what the computer says you're going to do. There also is a latency-related advantage to being the host of a match.

Still, LAN and especially splitscreen are much less likely to experience latency-related issues. And with solutions like game ranger, it's possible to lan with friends over the internet. :rolleyes: I did a lot of that after codemasters shut down the Grid 1 servers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice