1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Insert new object into map - Collision

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Woovie, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Woovie

Woovie
    Expand Collapse

I've been trying to add more ramps to a map, but the collision isn't loading. Am I missing something? I spawn the object, I can see the TSStatic or whatever it was called, I made sure to reload the DAE file just in case, but it still has no collision. Any tips appreciated.

2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Easy, just follow this steps:

1. Select the object and click the Shape editor.

2. Once in the Shape editor, activate the rendering of collision meshes (1)

3. Then go to the Advanced properties tab and click on Collision (2)

4. On Fit target select bounds, and on Fit type select the different options until the collision mesh (pink) has the shape of your object (3)

5. Finally go into Details (4), select collision-1 (5), and rename what's inside to Colmesh (6), then save (7) and that's it. (Press F11 when you have saved to reload all collision meshes into the game)

Picture with the numbers above:

1.jpg

It might seem complicated but it's fast once you're used to it.

#2 Davidbc, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. Woovie

Woovie
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I will try it when I have time.

4. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

somehow this doesnt work out for me. :(
    The shape editor displays the colmesh or collision (pink) in the correct place (like they are aranged in the dae file),
    but in the object editor the collision triangle debug menu shows it is on another location.
    choosing any other Fit Type does not come even close to fitting the shape, might not have plaid around with the sliders enough, dunno.

PS: i know lots of unnecessary triangles, this is just a quick mesh for test purposes.

Attached Files:

• BeamNGSandbox 2013-08-16 16-06-19-58.jpg
    • BeamNGSandbox 2013-08-16 16-08-03-42.jpg
    #4 NkosiKarbul, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Can you take a screenshot of the hierarchy in your modeling program? If you set your model up correctly as per the instructions in the wiki it should be as simple as exporting and dropping it into the game.

6. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

im sorry, after further tests and inspecting the results with the collision triangle debug menu (which i missed to use the first days...)
    the described problem was apparently caused by the specific model not having the meshes centered at 0,0,0 coordinates while still both where in the same spot, just off the center of the parent...
    while testing much different ways to identify a problem i tent to loose the overview.
    it works absolutely splendid now! Thank You all nonetheless.

Attached Files:

• BeamNGSandbox 2013-08-16 16-48-36-15.jpg
    • BeamNGSandbox 2013-08-16 16-48-14-36.jpg
    #6 NkosiKarbul, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  7. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

I'm puzzled. I tried to compare with existing assets and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong that - although I see the collision mesh in the shape editor - the collision does not show and affect when playing the level. Attached is a screenshot. The hierarchy in Maya and in Drive.

Note that Maya does not allow "-" to be used in names and replaces them with "_". So I open the DAE file in a text editor and replace "Colmesh_" to "Colmesh-" and "collision_" to "collision-" before opening in Drive.

Attached Files:

• drive_Colmesh.jpg
  8. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

do you mean the collision does not show in the collision triangle debug menu ingame?
    and did you close the editor after positioning the new imported object ?
    is that block shaped colmesh the shape it is supposed to have ? or does it look different in the model.
    you have to close the editor to get the collision loaded/refreshed into the game and as described some posts in front (screen) you can rename the files in beamng shape editor.
    just some thoughts that came up.
    i still have a problem with roration which appears without me doing anything t different o the last model where it did work fine,
    but i just check its position with the collision traingle debug display and then go back to the collada file and just turn the colmesh around so they are unaligned in the model but aligned in the world.

9. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I understood that playing with F11 would refresh the collision meshes. Closing the editor did show it. But it did also show with and odd rotation. Thanks for the heads up. Will try to work around like you said.

10. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

you are welcome! :) nice casa btw, we need more houses for sure! :)

11. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I understand that assets are always in need no matter how much we have. Unfortunately I too wish I could spare time to make some (with proper textures and materials), but lately I'm having little room to play trying to make ends meet.

This house wouldn't provide any interesting gameplay. It's essentially just a hole I ported into Drive because I wanted to test the garage design I wasn't sure about. I confess that I enjoyed and may be indulging myself soon. Assets suggestions and references will be considered if anyone care to gather.

It did leave me wondering if it would be viable and fun an underground garage level for the game. I bet it would.

12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

yeah thats actually a great idea, would for sure create some atmosphere to park in there, if done right. :)

13. Stew2000

Stew2000
    Expand Collapse

I'm slowly figuring out how to get things into BeamNG. And at the moment I have this problem..
    In the editor the collision looks alright..

(imported from here)

In the world it's like this.. Any thoughts?

(imported from here)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice