1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

[Materials] Advices and Questions about Materials and Textures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScorpyX, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

Advices and Questions about Materials and Textures

=== FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

- How to Change Color of Stock Cars? (Video Tutorial 1080p) - (old text thread)

- I change texture of car but it looks faded - how to fix it?

=== Good Advices list

- How to choose proper size for Texture

#1 ScorpyX, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

When ever I add anything to the hood of the hatch it looks faded (It's supposed to be carbon fiber). Does anybody know how to fix this?

help.png

3. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

How to choose proper size for Texture

I have seen many people who do not know what size to choose for their texture.. hope this helps

Dont use resolution for textures like 6000x3000 or 1999x766 (its mean 6000 pixel on 3000 pixel)
    games dont like it - because pc memory use stuff multiples by 2
    number (multiples by 2) - 2 \ 4 \ 8 \ 16 \ 32 \ 64 \ 128 \ 256 \ 512 \ 1024 \ 2048 \ 4096 \ 8192
    its mean game textures can have size like 64x64 \ 512x512 \ 2048x2048 and so
    texture can be not only like square - but like horisontal or vertical line
    like 64x1024 \ 512x16 \ 2048x1024 and so

if you put in game texture like 6000x3000 - game automatically trying put it in "square" size for import to pc memory
    for texture 6000x3000 it can be 8192x4096 (btw - it is insanely big)
    and new space above 6000x3000 in new system texture with size 8192x4096 will be not used..
    many games just dont understand textures with size more then 4096 (sometimes even more 2048)(just give error)

if you make new texture - choose some standart size (with numbers multiples by 2)
    you just need begin creating texture with standart size or scale you image under any of standart size
    for example 512x512 \ 2048x1024 \ 4096x2048..

im not recommend use size of texture more than 2k (2048) because
    - good texture with 2k size will be looks very good (size enough)
    - and every time you use texture size on x2 times more - size on hard drive grow on x4 time more
    for example texture with size 512x512 can weigh 1 megabyte
    if you scale it x2 times - it will be 1024x1024 BUT will have 4 megabyte instead 2 - (because look - its 4 time bigger)

(imported from here)
    and if you will use big resolution (size) only for quality - file size on hard drive will grow exponentially
    for example only few big textures can have file size like size of entire game (0.5-10 gigabyte)
    so carefully choose the size for texture - and use power of "number multiples by 2" : ]
    (in modern games) usually main game textures have size - 512x512 \ 1024x1024 \ 2048x2048
    (even in some Crysis or Bioshock or FarCry3 - because game developers care about space requirements on hard drive)

#3 ScorpyX, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Here is a tip.
    A texture resolution of 16384x2048 will crash BeamNG. I don't know what i expected to happen really :p

I normally keep to 2048x2048 and then scale after if needed. But i decided to tile them manually to create a road texture. I was going to scale it back correctly but then though "i wonder if..." and the game crashed
    I would upload the texture but it exceeds the maximum file size.

#4 aljowen, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

all stock cars use some multi-layered materials
    now diffuse texture used in layer 1 - but in layer 2 few thing work above
    for example reflection texture of sky (default sky "reflection" texture makes the main texture is lighter and adds a blue tint)

if you want use only your texture for car paint - you can use this way
    - open (F11 then F4) material editor than select car and choose body part in materials list and.. (in this case its "hatch")
    - open settings of tint color - and make alpha transparency setting is zero (this removes barrier)
    - then delete texture from this slot
    - if that is not enough you can even remove reflection (or change reflection texture)
    and of course - save it (material changes)

after diffuse texture on layer 1 - will be displayed without other additional things

PS. in other way you can put additional details on texture with alpha mask in layer 2 - i think it will be like decal
    gabester say: Layer 2 used for coloring (tint) cars

and of course you can put additional details on texture with alpha mask in layer 3
    above all this stuff.. (but reflection can be under it - and some stuff in layer 3 can be changed in future - in default content)

Tips Add: i think reflection power can be modified - by changing alpha channel of diffuse texture (not tested)

#5 ScorpyX, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a lot! :D

custom hatch.png

7. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

8. HagDerVriese

HagDerVriese
    Expand Collapse

lighhouse1.png lighthouse2.png
    I need fully tranparent sections (for the balustrade) which is no problem,
    and partly tranparent sections for the Windows of my Lighthouse in one texture file.
    Maybe anyone can tell me how to solve this or link me to a good tutorial perhps.

:confused:HAG

9. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

HAG... use the alpha layer/channel of the texture to control the transparency level
    ..theres pleanty of tutorials for it if you google it!..

full black is 100% transparent, full white is 100% opaque... levels of gray will control how much opaque-ness/transparent-ness there is

#9 WacKEDmaN, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice