Update system for mods

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by goggles, Aug 7, 2013.

1. goggles

goggles
    Expand Collapse

really sorry if there is a similar thread already out there but i couldn't see one after a little searching

What i think would be awesome is that when you launch the game it either auto searches if you have internet or you have the option of searching for updates.
    It then gives you the option to view all the different mods you don't have so you can then download all or selected ones.

-This wouldn't be used for major game updates but when someone uploads a map or car to the "repo" (or whatever it ends up being called) as a full completed mod
    so no WIP/betas showing up.

-This is one of the problems i found with rigs of rods it takes so long to track down a lot of the mods

-It would save alot of time for people not having to read through the forums for hours (not a prob atm while there isn't many mods)

-There could be systems put in place that filter out some of the crappier mods (but judging by what is currently on the forum that won't be a problem) by only mods with a
    certain rating e.g 5/10 and over will be displayed

Im thinking along the lines of what is in place in Phoenix rc simulator where it notifies you on start up when a new model is added

I under stand this is alpha so this would be something for the game when it is in a more finished state:cool:

thanks for reading what i had to say

2. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

So, are you going to host that repo/database? With so many players, it will be impossible to get good speeds, and the vehicles and maps are larger too. It would cost a lot to buy a sufficient server.
    Something like RoR has would be fine, but there would need to be external download links, or a server that can hold up the downloads.

#2 Kamil_, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

I agree that that the time will come when the forum will no longer be able to support all the user content adequately. Building such a repo would just take time. Since we don't have any numbers regarding purchases, we can't predict when we'll need such a site. Kamil hit the biggest hurdle on the head. Financing a server good enough to host all that stuff and includes enough bandwidth to cover the downloads. Sometimes, publishers will be able to delegate some cash to select community sites, but I really doubt that this is one of those cases.

Such sites are usually done by the community, the creation, the maintenance and yes, the financing. I bet there are enough experienced web developers here to get this going (including myself), but money is another problem. I estimate $150 a month to rent a box that's beefy enough. Probably less out of the gate, and more later on, depending on popularity. That would take a lot of continuing community support (and ad support ...).

Unless ...
    We were able to crowd source the actual content, and the repo server wouldn't be responsible for hosting all those bytes. That would mean less required space and less bandwidth needed. Files could be spread across personal file lockers ... box, dropbox, etc. Anything that supports direct linking. But I may be getting a little ahead of myself. :p

4. goggles

goggles
    Expand Collapse

yea i don't really know what it would need for a system like that to run i just found i really helpful on phoenix rc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice