1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

I have a crappy desktop PC, want to upgrade but don't know where to start.. Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chevys10, Aug 12, 2013.

1. chevys10

chevys10
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, I have a couple year old desktop computer that I want to upgrade. I don't have a ton of cash to blow on parts, but I don't want crappy stuff either. Basically I need my pc to run BeamNG way better then it currently does. (~8-10 fps on very lowest settings).

My PC's specs are below..

HP Pavilion desktop PC -- Model a4313w

AMD Sempron processor LE-1300 2300 MHZ (single core)
    3.00 GB of installed ram
    x64 Based Windows 7
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

It ran RoR on fairly low settings at 20-30 fps, depending on the vehicle and map, but BeamNG is killing it.

I have NEVER messed with the internals of a PC. So I honestly do not know where to start or what to buy.. My spending limit is around $3-400 ( less is better!!) and I would like BeamNG to run at around 30-60 fps on fairly low settings. If you could link me the parts you mention in a link to New Egg, Best Buy or something along those lines, that'd be great.. But of course not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

~Chevys10

2. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

There's not much point upgrading that PC, I'd say just buy a new one. Also where do you live so I can suggest builds?

3. blinkingyellow

blinkingyellow
    Expand Collapse

Buy a new one like, core i7 4+ Cores/threads, 8GB ra,(recommended), a GTX series video card etc.

4. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

He just said he didn't have a ton of cash, that seems way too expensive for him... Maybe an i5 and a GT or 77xx series AMD.

5. chevys10

chevys10
    Expand Collapse

I live in Kansas, it's about a 2 hour drive to a BestBuy for me..

6. cml1of4

cml1of4
    Expand Collapse

Processor is most important thing for this game. I would recommend a whole new computer, but you could start with the core parts (motherboard/processor) to get the ball rolling. reddit.com/r/buildapc and newegg have good resources to get started

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I may as well just send you here. They have some really good builds for different budgets if you want to build it your self. Just make sure to post it here first and we can check to see if there are any newer components that you may be better of with. Try and look at the ones that are newer.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL441D9BF9F40D0E5E

8. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

Going to Best Buy for computer hardware is not recommended. A lot of those brick and mortar stores will overcharge on just about anything. I get all my parts at Newegg.com, but I know there are other popular sites such as TigerDirect.com.

I agree with the others. Upgrading a single part is not going to do you much good. Depending on how long you want it to be current, plan on spending $500+ on a new machine. If you're not prepared to spend that much, the best you can do is go through this list and hope for the best.

9. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

10. cml1of4

cml1of4
    Expand Collapse

Unless he is lucky enough to be near a Frys or Microcenter

11. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

ebay is a pretty good resource too, if you're looking for slightly dated hardware. When people upgrade they tend to sell their old stuff on ebay very cheap to return at least some profit. Of the 3 builds you listed, none seem to have dedicated graphics, which may be a *big* problem. If anything, I would recommend getting the cheapest build you listed (with a standard ATX motherboard and case, mATX leaves minimal room to upgrade, most midrange-high performance parts either won't fit or run hot) and a better graphics card separately. If it means anything my old XFX GTX 260 slugs through the game on high with minimal issue, and you can typically grab one in good working order off eBay for less than USD100. Also, you can shave off a few $$ from your build if you don't plan to keep the old computer by reusing the hard drives (and case if it is a desktop)

12. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

13. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

14. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

15. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Since i now know where abouts your budget is you may want to have a look at this:

$350 AMD A10. No dedicated gpu but that apu is ok for 720p (in most games, not sure about BeamNG) :

Edit: Completely re worded :)

First off, you already own a case, hard drive and optical drive. If you keep the power supply you already have too that is a new pc for $230 plus you get to keep all your files easily.

Many people here will complain about the lack of a dedicated GPU, but on this AMD cpu you will be able to play games at 720p with little issue. But i can not claim to know if that will suffice for BeamNG. But because this only costs $230 you can buy one and add it in if you find your pc under powered. So if i factor in $100 for an AMD gpu down the line you are still only looking at $330.

Other people have offered some ok solutions. But i just wanted to show you can get something on a budget that may do your job, if it doesn't all you need to do is add a GPU down the line and you will be sorted. Even after adding a gpu it still works out cheaper than the other builds and most likely faster. (Without the dedicated GPU it will be a bit slower graphics wise).

The downside is this build will give you a weaker cpu than some more expensive ones. Other than that it is a pretty solid offering.

#17 aljowen, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  17. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

FYI if your case and psu are standard atx you don't need to get new ones(unless the psu is too weak for the new system). you could also re-use the optical drives.

18. skymiracle

skymiracle
    Expand Collapse

cooler master 912 haf case - its the best case out there (but you do need 2 extra 200mm fans - you need one for the top and front's 120mm isnt enough)
    am3+ motherboard
    amd 8 core cpu
    ati 7950 or 7970 video card
    ur choice of wireless card
    and 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, i have 12 cause i like it
    corsair hydro series heatsink
    750watt power supply
    2 tb hdd, a second 4 tb hdd if you need the storage

Youtube how to install a computer and ur good
    This set up is high on price but will last you for at least a decade before you even think about getting another upgrade
    Honestly its the constant need for upgrades to play the new and more hardware intensive games that really add on the cost, at least it did for me.

This doesnt include the mouse, keyboard, and monitor obviously.

#19 skymiracle, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

... windows 8 is just fine, anyone who says its crap, is just completley wrong, plus windows 8 is cheaper then windows 7 and older atm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice