1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

In Game Replica of a Real 120mph Crash (video)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MonteCarbo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MonteCarbo

MonteCarbo
    Expand Collapse

I was curious to see how close the physics were in game in comparison to real life. So I replicated a crash and put the clips side-by-side.The physics were indeed quite similar.

#1 MonteCarbo, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Corrupted

Corrupted
    Expand Collapse

Very nice comparison. Awesome to see that the physics are almost spot on with real life.

3. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Good replica, the way the Covet bounced up onto its nose is almost exactly like that Focus. The only thing that doesn't really match is that the Focus' front passenger compartment is completely obliterated, leaving only the rear end, whereas the Covet's is badly deformed but still "there". I wonder how similar they'd be if someone made a more similar car, from a closer period to the Focus.

4. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

That is really really cool :D it's so dam accurate!

5. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

How did you get soo many camera angles:confused:

6. SpittyTheDude

SpittyTheDude
    Expand Collapse

Dude, The Ibishu Turbo tops at a 100! Just kidding, very nice comparison video. :rolleyes:

7. MonteCarbo

MonteCarbo
    Expand Collapse

I did the same crash roughly 15-18 times, each with a different camera angle. It was kind of a pain, but looked good in the end. There very well might be a way (or added later) to set up cameras to film whilst you drive, but if there is, I don't know about it and hope that it comes in the not-so-distant future.

8. LeParkour2598

LeParkour2598
    Expand Collapse

Haha, dude I just watched that video yesterday. But that's amazing how spot on that was.

9. BobyBlob

BobyBlob
    Expand Collapse

Not so "hilarously unsafe", this Covet.

10. Killazer

Killazer
    Expand Collapse

I fell in love with this video, awesome editing. Really intriguing to see the physics though, never could have imagined they were this real.

11. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

The beamng physics are pretty much perfect but the passenger compartment is really too strong in every car (IMO). I hope there will be some improvements to that.
    I know what Gabester is doing and he seems to know alot from car structures so I?m not saying hes doing something wrong. Maybe it?s the limitations of the beams..?

12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

my personal opinion is that this comparison does not even come close to each other... the real car was crushed completly till the B-pillar.
    the ibishu did not even get half of the driver seat folded.... its miles away from the real crash in terms of frame deformation!
    the physical reactions of impact and inertia forces and all that look pretty much the same yes, but the deformation is completly different.
    but plz note that of course the cars are completly different... so im not saying the recreation was bad or the ibishu frame would be bad.
    jus tmy personal opinion about frame deformation while comparing those 2 specific video materials.

ps: and i still loved the video and specialy the editing, theres nothing you could do to make it better besides modeling a 1 to 1 copy of the ka XD

#12 NkosiKarbul, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  13. butrejp

butrejp
    Expand Collapse

It's a different car, of course the crash test results will be different

14. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

ehrm...ya thats what i just explained... after reading stuff like "amazing how spot on that was."...

15. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Amazing how consistent the results were. Do you remember if anytime the crash behaved more artificial/buggy?

16. MonteCarbo

MonteCarbo
    Expand Collapse

I remember a few times when I was doing some closer shots of the aftermath and finished crash the car would slowly sort of crawl away (for lack of a better term). A temporary fix I used was to press "J" to pause the physics. I can't really think about any other issues offhand.

17. Dredastttarm

Dredastttarm
    Expand Collapse

I think that might be because the engine keeps going for some reason, I mean, you can still rev the engine after the car has been completely obliterated. Don't know if the engine is completely indestructible or something, never looked close enough to check.

Btw, great video, looks like a lot of work was put into it. :)

18. meepgofish

meepgofish
    Expand Collapse

To replicate real life they need to make the mesh able to rip apart from each other so we could have cars split in to and all sorts. (If it is even possible)

19. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

The physics can be split. We can split nodes if beams were not set to infinite strength (like hinges already are not), but the problem is that the physics just deform the visual mesh.
    If you split the middle of the roof in the physics, visually the mesh would stretch. It would need to split the polygon mesh dynamically (or pre), which I don't know if it's feasible.

20. pixartist

pixartist
    Expand Collapse

Why can't collision meshes be deformed in real time ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice