Engine overheating and cranking

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by thetooth, Aug 25, 2013.

1. thetooth

thetooth
    Expand Collapse

It would be cool to see the oil and water temp parameters affected by redlining, engine damage(cracked sump, split transmission) and radiator failure.

The first would be easiest to do since you can assume the last 20-10% of the engines max rpm increments the temp at a higher rate than its regulated, additionally using the engines burn efficiency as a multiplier would allow engines with richer mixture to overheat faster. Another variable would be the block mass, since a small 1.4L petrol can get critically hot in less than a minute, a large 4L+ diesel engine can take 4-6 minutes even with a failed cooling system(i've seen straight 6's drive around for hours at a time for months on end with no water pump before someone decides its time to get it looked at).

Engine damage is likely to be harder, i know with the Ibishu Covet, crashing hard enough completely stops the engine, the trick would be finding a medium where the engine isn't completely destroyed, but will fail in the future due to fluid loss.

Radiator failure will be the coolest addition, scraping a couple of guard rails 10km back will have dire consequences, while this could be tricky to implement you could assume >10% deformation would constitute as a crack and begin incrementing a water level variable(this is obviously used as a multiplier for cooling the engine). I also think its necessary to add parameters to the jbeam files relating to cooling efficiency, since for example the Covet with its small block, turbo and likeliness to be used at high rpms, to have a much better cooling system than the stock setup.

Finally the ability to crank the engine after stalling, cold start or just being able to do it since you've completely destroyed the vehicle and don't want to give up. Also hill starts would be nice, but thats something most of us can live without for a while.

The result of all this would allow engines to fail, seize(momentarily, not all engines will permanently weld themselves together) and drop in performance.

[SUB]Sorry for my english, i did use the search function. This post is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. I the "POSTER" disclaim all warranties with regard to this information, including all implied warranties or fitness. In no event shall the POSTER be liable for any damage arising, directly or indirectly, including emotional hardship, from the use of the information contained in this post including damages arising from inaccuracies, omissions or errors.[/SUB]

2. Austin

Austin
    Expand Collapse

WTF

You have to remember this game is in very early alpha. A lot of these features will probably be added as it continues to be developed.

3. thetooth

thetooth
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i assumed so, there's clearly provisions for these features already but i don't think labeling it as alpha is fair, its already leaps and bounds ahead of similar sims like RoR, plus the way the game engine is scripted is quite ingenious, i don't really see it ever being something that will be "released", rather constantly changing like it has been.

4. Samsuck

Samsuck
    Expand Collapse

sorry, I'm lazy to read your post but to your title: gabester said they are planning overheating and also radiator damage

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice