Terrain questions: Makeing sand textures act as sand

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Pinecones, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Pinecones

Pinecones
    Expand Collapse

My terrain is almost completely sand, but the sand does not act like sand.
    1. Skidmarks appear
    2. There is no dust
    3. I'd also like to give it a sinking feeling, is this possible?

I thought about duplicating the terrain and making it non-colliding, offsetting it a bit to give this sinking impression, but I can't figure out how to make it non-colliding

Thanks for any help on any or all of these issues!

Attached Files:

• beamng.drive.x86-20130831-1057095.png
  2. Pinecones

Pinecones
    Expand Collapse

Awesome thanks for the reply! I'll mess with what you said when I get a chance (probably not for a couple days unfortunately) and report back with any findings

3. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

If you name the sand layer in the terrain painter "Sand" or "BeachSand", it will use the sand settings from lua/groundmodel.lua. That should give the right behavior combined with a depth map. Custom groundmodels would help in tuning it, but I don't think that's possible yet.

If the depth map doesn't work, check that it's in the correct format. 8 bit greyscale, same size as the heightmap.

Exporting the heightmap from Torque editor helps in making the depth map, since it exports the maps for different layers too. Also, with Photoshop filter High Pass on the heightmap you can separate convex and concave shapes. Then you could have for example softer sand on sharp sand ridges, or deeper mud in holes.

4. Pinecones

Pinecones
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips, used the renaming to get some dust and remove skids, but the depth map is still an issue.

My .ter is called Egypt_Desert_0.ter, attached is a zip of the depth map, (I used your highpass filter technique Miura, very nice! Thanks for that tip) if anyone has a chance to take a look at it, that would be great. As far as I know it's exported as an 8bit gray scale, 1024x1024, the same as my height map

Attached Files:

5. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

I opened the png in Photoshop and it was in Indexed color mode. It should be Grayscale (Image > Mode > Grayscale). Also, the depth map should be nearly white as darker colors are several meters deep and at least the sand groundmodel can't handle that very well. You can change that with Levels.

Try this image. I did the above changes and also inverted it before setting the levels, change it if it's not what you wanted. If it works at all..

Attached Files:

• Egypt_Desert_0.ter.depth.png
  6. Pinecones

Pinecones
    Expand Collapse

That did the trick! I didn't realize I had to change it there and not just export the png as an 8bit, thanks again

7. Troutner

Troutner
    Expand Collapse

Darren9 can you help me with my map? i dont know how to get a .ter.depth.png for my map

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice