Released Stockcar Madness racing map update 9/29/2013

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by theWOODman, Sep 19, 2013.

1. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

This is my first map that I have made for BeamNG. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot from it. This map is very large and contains both dirt, and asphalt roads. I know that the billboard people are a little hokey, but at least you wont feel as lonely while ripping it up.

Update change log:
    1. Repainted terrain under roads to insure consistent traction
    2. Elevated the landing ramp to missing bridge jump to allow for softer landing ( have to get speed just right, a little under 70mph )
    3. Added a darker light volume to the tunnel to make it a bit more realistic since it's blocks out sunlight.
    4. Added 2 waterfalls just for funzies ( yes they're animated so they work, except for splashes )
    5. Small animated fire for campsite. ( it works too )

Features include:

Wider roads ( dirt and asphalt ) for plenty of room to slide around

Crowd noise to give the map more life

People billboards to create atmosphere

Tunnel ( A real pain to make )

Small neighborhood to terrorize the citizens

Factory maze to test your mad skillz

If you do not want the day / night cycle, just hit F11 to open the editor, go to MissionGroup/ sky_and_sun folder, then click on the sun/moon icon. In the "TimeOfDay" section, uncheck the "play" check box then save.

Everyone is free to play and modify for your own personal use, but if you plan to use my created assets to create and upload your own map, then all I ask is that you abide by the copywright below

copywrite:
    All I ask is that you not modify or rename any created asset file beginning with the name "theWOODman" but leave "as is". Also that you give credit to the creator and include this info in your "read me" file or download page location. Also you may not ever use my created assets if you generate "any" kind of income from your created map or mod either through adds, donations, or other.

Here's a preview lap around the track. Keep in mind that it was hard to drive with Fraps running at the same time so don't look at this as a true test of my mad skillz

Attached Files:

#1 theWOODman, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

3. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Re: Stockcar Madness racing map

Well poop on a cracker it looked fine to me. I'll have to fix that.

I ran the map through an optimizer mod and I must have missed a few things. I'm uploading the original which is much bigger. I just don't know why the textures looked off to you and not to me......hmmmm.

Original file was uploaded and the link was fixed. Hopefully that'll do it.

#3 theWOODman, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. kittensmittens

kittensmittens
    Expand Collapse

Wow, this map is very unique. I love the tunnel, that is something I was waiting for someone to develop. So far I haven't run into any missing textures. The map is very fun though and looks good.

5. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, glad you like it. If you're not having any texture problems then it means the bug was nixed. that tunnel was a royal pain, but at least I know how to make it now. The next one will be better. I was thinking city map.

6. Veldex

Veldex
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, a city map would be great! The first of its kind for BNG.

7. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

This was a really awesome map, one of the best made so far. I loved it!

The long jump was a very nice touch, it's a real car wrecker but it is survivable. It would be even greater if you can make the landing a bit less harsh ( make a steeper transition) and/or if you could add even more jumps? :D

Anyway, I can't wait to see more maps from you!

8. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Zalmoxis, glad you like it. I'm going to wait for BeamNG to come out with their next update which I believe by then that triggers will be working. I'm guessing that then you would be able to count laps, check timing, etc. When they update it then I'll go back and tweak the roads, terrain and what-not. I've just fussed so much over getting the roads smooth and just right that I was almost pulling my hair out so I uploaded what I had so far.

I will tweak that though. The smooth and slope brush are not subtle by any means no matter what setting or brush profile I give it...

9. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

The roads are really smooth as they are now, I don't think there is much else to do about them. In fact, I think they may be a bit too smooth since I do enjoy the occasional small bumps that give a bit of air time without damaging the car.

Also, the city-industrial like areas of the track are great and give a nice change of pace during a full circuit run :)

10. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i can just agree with everything Zalmoxis just said! awesome map! :)
    would prefer little bumps like on small island too, as it's for stock car racing, would make it a little more exhausting for the cars i think.

if you want to get even smoother roads i would suggest a road made of a 3d model, way less work with the track but maybe more with the rest of the terrain to fit the track.

11. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

LOL!

This track is so much fun to drive around, it really shows how much work you put into it. I love the random people spread around and the crowd noise you put in, it makes everything feel a bit more alive and I love seeing new things used in the game. The Tunnel is so cool to drive through in first person, I just wish it was longer. bit of a side note but, a huge tunnel map would be awesome, especially if you could find a way to make the walls glass and put the whole thing underwater ;). Overall great job and thanks for bringing it to us!

Attached Files:

• Screenshot (15).png
  12. SgtSpike

SgtSpike
    Expand Collapse

Great map, this is a fun one to drive around for sure!

13. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Some of the asphalt roads have dirt or some other groundmodel under them. Makes it hard to drive when grip changes unexpectedly with no visual cue. Hide the roads temporarily and paint the correct groundmodels, adding the decal road doesn't change it.

14. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all, I appreciate that.

@LSDMT420
    I've never thought about a tunnel under water. I'm kinda curious about how and if that would work. It would be cool if it would

@Miura
    Yeah I may have missed a few places with all the touch ups I've done ( about a gazillion ). Personally I haven't noticed any real traction difference no matter what I paint under the road. Not really sure if the material has any effect or not. I've tried several. Although I like the effect of the decal road feature in how it adheres to the terrain, I still wish the mesh road feature worked. It seems like it would be easier to create smoother roads and banks and with it's own traction settings. I don't even now how many hours I spent just lightly clicking the track with the slope tool with a very low setting trying to get everything just right. My next map will be completely flat hehe.

15. skiper

skiper
    Expand Collapse

amazing rally track ):rolleyes:

16. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Re: Stockcar Madness racing map update 9/28/2013

Just to let everyone know I've updated the track a bit. The changes are:

1. Repainted terrain under roads to insure consistent traction
    2. Elevated the landing ramp to missing bridge jump to allow for softer landing ( have to get speed just right, a little under 70mph )
    3. Added a darker light volume to the tunnel to make it a bit more realistic since it's blocks out sunlight.
    4. Added 2 waterfalls just for funzies and yes they work ( except for splashes )

Once BeamNG comes out with their next update, I'm assuming that triggers will be working so the "race" aspect of the tracks will work and then one can keep track of their timing. I'll update again if that's the case assuming I can figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the additional update so quickly after the first, but I was experimenting with creating animated sprites and had to update with a small animated campfire. The animation that I used was actually made from a Minecraft texture pack that I created a loooooong time ago and I just wanted to see how it worked. It's not great, but not too bad either.

#16 theWOODman, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  17. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

Re: Stockcar Madness racing map update 9/28/2013

The changes were pretty nice, I liked the track even more. The waterfalls were a very nice touch and the tunnel does feel a bit more realistic.

The small changes to the landing are a little effective. If you land on the newly elevated spot, then there is a high chance to escape with no real damage. But I think the biggest problem is that the launching ramp is a bit too steep. You either fall short or overjump most of the time. So far I haven't managed to clear it with Grand Marshall, Moonhawk or the pickup since they are too heavy.

Well, that's just a minor thing, but I do love that damn ramp too much for my own good.

Can't wait for the next patch. I think this is my favorite custom map of BeamNG as of yet.

18. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, glad you like it. I must admit that a bit further tweaking to the ramp may be needed, but one thing I'm trying to avoid is making it too easy. My thought was to make it be a risk / reward kind of thing; take the long route around the hill or brave the jump.

I find personally that if a ramp system is set up to where all I had to do was full throttle it through, then it may be fun a few times, but after awhile it may become stale for lack of challenge and chance.

After Beam updates, I'll tweak and fine tune a few things a bit more.

P.S. Don't forget that some of the sport versions of those vehicles can make it if you drive it in manual. I find that most of the vehicles have too low end torque and upshift way too early. If you leave it in 3rd gear, that should do it for most.

#18 theWOODman, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  19. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

Well, I tested that ramp for like 20-25 min so that's a lot of jumps. Out of that many, I only survived undamaged twice. Once in a Covet Rally and once with the Monster Truck Mini ( you can find it in the mods subforum). That is quite a low %, and what makes it so fun is the difficulty too. But I think all cars should be able to do the jump in the automatic ( since I'm keyboard only and it sucks changing gear like that, driving in 3rd person without any way to see your RPM or speed beside going through awful debug menus.

I still believe you should make it difficult, but something like 1 out of 10 jumps should be able to land it safe.

Also in sport versions of vehicles you don't land safe after a jump like that haha xD

Anyway can't wait for the next update to include real time trials.

20. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

I spent an hour straight just drifting around my favorite corners, again and again and again. Practicing, learning the curve of the road.

You have something very cool here, it's a drifting paradise. Haha, I haven't even tried it in a slow or normal car.

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

Oh, and the people? Haha, I crack a smile every time the camera moves in front of them and I see a silly face or something.

(imported from here)

Thank you, I enjoy this map a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice