1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Beamng tech demo is not detecting my primary graphics card.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Jaden79, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Jaden79

Jaden79
    Expand Collapse

It just wont detect my main nvidia card. I have tried selecting it in the graphics options but it comes up with null?
    I click apply but tells me to restart beamng, even though i have, it still uses my intergrated card.
    I have gone to the control panel and made beamng to use my nvidia card. but still says intel in game.
    Even though it says intel, is it actually using my nvidia?
    thanks.

Attached Files:

• control panel.png
    • beamngtechdemo.png
  2. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Some specs on your PC would help. Go into your Bios and ensure your Nvidia card is set to main or primary rendering device. Also if your card/motherboard has Nvidia's "Optimus" technology try disabling it. Make sure you are running the latest drivers for your card. From your screenshot it definitely looks like Beam is using your IGPU.

#2 LSDMT420, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. Jaden79

Jaden79
    Expand Collapse

Here are my quite old and outdated specs...

I have the latest drivers

ASUS N53SV
    nvidia GeForce GT 540M 2GB - direct x11
    Intel Core i7 2670QM
    16GB Ram
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    and i think thats all the main stuff

4. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

I had a feeling you were on a laptop, I used to have problems like this on my work laptop. In my case it was Optimus, allot of laptop hardware comes with it, its meant to switch between the IGPU and nvidia based on load to save power, but it just does not detect some things as games very well. You should see an option for it in your BIOS if you do have it on your machine. Also like I said, you should have an option to set your Nvidia as the primary device as well.

5. rhx123

rhx123
    Expand Collapse

The way Nvidia Optimus works for using the NVidia Card is the information is rendered on the discrete GPU then the rendered frames sent back down the PCIe bus and inserted into the Frame Buffer of the Intel GPU to be displayed.

In a lot of cases, the NVidia GPU is not connected to the screen at all - so in BeamNG it will always say it can only see the Intel card.

This is by way of design, to combat the old switchable graphics where the screen would flicker, or even the computer had to be restarted to change them - as only one graphics adapter is presented to end user applications, the applications do not have to be aware of the dual-hardware.

The 540M is not that powerful so you may actually be running on it, just unaware. If you are unsure you can download the Optimus Test Tools to establish the status of your NVidia GPU.

If there is an option to turn Optimus off in the bios, this means that the NV GPU is connected to the screen through a multiplexor and the Intel card should vanish from eveywhere, however I don't recommend doing this as you will loose all the power saving benefits of Optimus in the first place for a tiny performance gain.

Hope this clears a few things up.

block-optimus.jpg optimus-profilecloud.jpg

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

if you run BeamNG techdemo with your nvidia gpu in the nvidia control panel, it should work, in the version of beamng the tech demo is based off of, it will say your using your intel graphics, even though you arnt

7. matiasvillanueva1661

matiasvillanueva1661
    Expand Collapse

Hi I have a problem with beamng drive and it is that when I get it I am using your intel gpu please choose another of your devices to improve performance and I have a pc hp core i7 2630 qm 2.0 ghz 4 cores 8 ram and intel hd 3000 but I have something amd 6600m and 6700m and tells me on the screen that I have 5093 mb of graphics is for my pc or for something else in options it puts me that everything is ok the intel intel hd 3000 as I changed help is a laptop

8. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

your only 4YEARS late. The last post was in 2013.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Mkay.
    Already there, so no point in doing that, it just makes it slightly more annoying (In general, to all people going 'BUUUMP' and etc) ;)

Next time, please check the latest post date. If a thread is too old, it's better creating a new thread instead of necroposting on a very old one.
    For the issue, you need to follow this: https://wiki.beamng.com/Dedicated_Graphics
    Some laptops also won't use the 'Dedicated Graphics' if you are using the 'Power Saving' power-plan, or if the charger is not connected to the laptop.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice