WIP Interstate 707 - Little update 1/3

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by JDMClark, Oct 11, 2013.

1. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Latest Update: 1/6!
    Read below to find out whats new!

Some Information
    Whats New?

Loads of new Terrain has been sculpted and the map is starting to take shape!

Re doing a lot of the forest to help FPS on lower end computers!

Adding some more life to the first town!(Which will be on exit 101)

Pictures:

im1.jpg im2.jpg im3.jpg im4.png

What you see above is work in progress!​

Attached Files:

• wip.png
    • wip2.png
    #1 JDMClark, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DHR

DHR
    Expand Collapse

Re: Drag Highway - Getting Buckled in for Multiplayer

Looks good keep it up

3. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone good with the lights I'm trying to figure out how to get them timed properly. And can you use some sort of trigger to initiate them? I know it would be a long stretch but I'd like to set up a realistic drag tree.

4. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

This is awesome!

Yeah, a working tree would be killer. If we could actually set up some type of system to realistically have 1/4 contests, haha too awesome.

5. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

I think gabe said something about implementing a system of triggers in the next update, so stay tuned ;)

6. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I seen that i plan to use some type of trigger to detect when there are vehicles on the line ready to run ect. Also triggers that detect if u jump off the line early and give the red light some meaning :)

7. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

awesome so far man, keep it up. I too was doing a drag strip, maybe i will finish it. but as of right now i cant.

may i suggest an option to run pro-tree as well as the normal tree. if /when possible of course :p other than that, i like it and the idea. cant wait

8. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

This picture is just a sketch of my general ideas for the map. I made this as quick as i could to show you guys what the idea of this map is. It is going to consist of towns along a highway.. Multiple towns, few will have drag strips. I just want to bring a realistic kind of map to the game. I like the idea of a multiplayer game where everyone goes down the interestate to exit 301 to find the 1/4 drag strip located within (cityname). This just shows my sketch of it all. Dont think the map is going to look like this please dont lol. I hate showing unfinished pictures..

wip3.png

I hope I'm getting some peoples interests.

9. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

This concept excites me. I love the thought you're putting into it, this is very cool.

I love it.

10. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Just an update, I finished up that first town and i just finished drawing the terrain for the highway. you can drive around the entire map via interstate. Theres alot more work to do, im just tackling it as i got the time.

Edit: cool info it takes about 4-7 minutes to drive around the entire map doing 70 on the interstate.

#10 JDMClark, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  11. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

This is just an update, I've been working vigourously on the terrain building it from flat to interesting. This is just showing my planned location for the 1/8th strip and town. You can see some of the interstate's path as well in the far back the location of the 1/4 town. Basically I've got alot to do but im working on it as much as i possibly can.

wip.png

I think this place will be a bit different. Planning on a bridge over the interstate to get to this area and the area in the center of the interstate will consist of some interesting terrain and lots of roads and little towns and locations to travel too. So the map wont just be all about the interstate and the towns with drag strips, there will be much much more.

Hope yall love it!

Heres another picture to show some development and scenery of the little town associated with the 1/4 mile strip.
    wip2.jpg

I am going to need some names for the cities! Right now ill be taking names from the forum so please give me some ideas guys!

Specifically I want a name for the town in the picture above.

Also another note, deleted all of the forest i placed on purpose, severe fps hog and just didnt look good to me.

#11 JDMClark, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  12. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

Re: Drag Highway - Update: 10/24

King of the North Dragway! semi-local strip so i thought id mention it :p. anyway, nice progress so far man, lovin it

13. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Looking good Clark.;) I like this ter, I like the idea, but we don't have a funny car.:rolleyes:

14. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Sorry guys i havent been able to do much, havent been feeling that well today and I didnt do much. But did get a little ocd and made the Tree a little more realistic.

fixed up the tree some.jpg

Some other things u might noticed in this picture. I got rid of the original starting line and replaced it with just stamps right now. The original starting line was made of by cubes and caused alot of issues.

Another thing you probably might have noticed is the terrain and trees around it. I deleted all of the trees on the map because it just was too much of a hog and looked unoriginal.. I placed a few just testing so dont mind the way it looks now. Also been working on the terrain some around the track, it looked way too messy.

15. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I'm liking this change a little better than before. I like the idea of removing trees (maybe for better FPS). Also my personal opinion I think you should make the drag way by 2 km longer. If you seen drag way (most likely you have):p there longer than this. I think by adding 2 km to this, it would make it a whole lot funner, due to the fact if someone wants to use this map in a video (just an example) they wont crash or mess up during their run, btw how long is that run? And from looking at the first picture, I would remove that road going behind seating benches, too me I don't truly think it should be there. And also what's at the end of the run? I mean does it turn into a turn around the trees, or? Could I see a picture of the end, and I'll give my comment?

16. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

The ending isnt fully polished yet. And the road behind the benches is the way back when you finish a run. The strip you see is exactly 1/4 mile. There is going to be an 1/8th and a 1/2 idk if a 1 mile long strip will fit in the map well. But the road you see is how you come back to the main entrance of the strip after you've taken your car down the track. Im currently uploading a video right now of taking a car down the track so youll see the length.

17. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Okay, well My other current WIP map is if I'm 3 miles in length, which is kinda long, needs a pretty good rig to get decent FPS, and a mile long strip would be better seeing that I can't see the end, but when you upload your video, I'll take a look. My other suggestion was adding an Offroad drag strip, I'm not sure if it's been done before but I'm sure it will make your map even more better, but I wouldn't add it if your trying to stick with the ideal of having an modern drag strip (black or concrete top).

18. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

the video ends after i hit the finish line. Just made a video with a quick run by the bruckell. Im working on the map some right now.

30 and the video will be up

#18 JDMClark, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Okay. But what's 30 mean? 30 mins?

20. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

yeah my ltes upload is being horrendously slow tonight idk why. 326mb is taking an hour and a half. its down to about 12minutes to go

Another big news thing you guys might find interesting. I'm probably going to need someone to do the 3d models for me and I will pay.

Things such as: Road Signs, Bridges and overpasses, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice