WIP Arcadia 470

Discussion in 'Land' started by WrongBrothers, Nov 24, 2013.

1. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

This is my first project when it comes to modeling in Blender, so don't judge too harshly. What I'm modeling is a Scalengetti 470. I'm sure none of you have ever heard of Scalengetti. That would be because it's my own personal (and fictional) car company. I've drawn a total of 9 cars for it, but this is the first one I've taken beyond a side view. The notation system for Scalengettis is the number is twice the horsepower of the standard model. Therefor, this car has 235HP. A lot of my cars are styled to look like they're from the '60s, though they have modern features. So, enough rambling, here's what I've gotten so far.
    Reference Drawings
    See attachments. They're too big to put here.

Current Photos
    Scalengetti 470 Render 8-18-2014.jpg
    Past Photos
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 5-26-2014 1.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 5-26-2014 2.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 5-26-2014 3.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 17.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 18.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 19.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 12.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 13.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 14.jpg

Extremely old and useless photos from when I was incompetent
    Scalengetti 470 Progress_1.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress_2.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress_3.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress_4.jpg

Attached Files:

• Scalengetti 470-Front.jpg
    • Scalengetti 470-Rear.jpg
    • Scalengetti 470-Top.jpg
    • Scalengetti 470-Left.jpg
    #1 WrongBrothers, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. johnsmithe

johnsmithe
    Expand Collapse

Re: Scalengetti 470

looks like you got a good plan

3. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

That's very high-poly. Why on earth are you modelling in triangles? You can highlight your geometry and press Alt+J to change those tris back to quadrilaterals.

4. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Well, all the models I've seen (including Gabester's) are modeled with triangles.

5. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Generally, people model in quads, then triangulate before exporting the finished product. Just letting you know~

6. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Oh, well. I'm fine with doing it by hand.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I think I might just get rid of everything but the fender flare and the vent and make a lower-poly version. This is what happens when you're new to modeling and immediately make a car.

7. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Looks good!something between Jaguar E-type and BMW Z8:)

8. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

9. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Why do people still make threads for like, a fender... There's a clear rule about this:

Also, you must have some PROGRESS to make a thread. No "I'm going to make this as soon as I learn how" with nothing but a photo of what you're gonna make.

Since you've not even got half a wheelarch and a photo of what you're gonna make saying "I'm going to make this while I'm learning", this thread is getting closed. Sorry, but rules are rules. If I could see that you know what you're doing, I might've been more inclined to leave it open. Please do up some more experience, model more of the car, and then PM me with pics and then I'll re-open the thread.

I'm also gonna add something to the rules to make it clearer that posting 2 polygons doesn't count as progress... Apparantly that seems to be difficult for people to understand...

No... You model in quads, then export. Game engine automatically changes it into triangles before rendering it on your screen, but some file formats automatically change it into triangles too or have a tick-box for triangulation on export. The reason models are triangulated when you re-import them is usually due to that, or because the "triangulate" options were ticked during export or import(usually it's ticked if you haven't changed it)...

#9 Mythbuster, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Finally got far enough to show my progress. Only the fender flare from the pictures in the OP remains, otherwise I've completely redone everything, gotten wayyyyyy further, and am now roughly competent with Blender. Just started on the roof last night, worked on and off on the rear fender on a weekend.
    Scalengetti 470 Progress_10.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress_11.jpg

11. svennevs1996

svennevs1996
    Expand Collapse

it's starting to look good!:)

12. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Well, major setback. I was stupid and haven't been saving, and my dad restarted the computer I was working on. Lost the whole rear area and roof. And the autosave didn't work because I had multiple windows open.

13. svennevs1996

svennevs1996
    Expand Collapse

That sucks man! :(

14. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the lack of progress recently, I've been working on building an N scale layout in time for the local train show. I finished last monday and showed it this last weekend, and it was a hit. Now, I can get back to blending.
    If you happen to have Google+, you can see the post I made explaining it in some more depth. I dunno if you don't have G+, you'll have to find out for yourself! https://plus.google.com/115348930316966322013/posts/VUVKK4mF4xK

15. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Most file formats actually only support triangles, They only have face indexes and are stored in groups of 3 in most, therefore each quad, say [0] [1] [2] [3] automatically gets converted to [0] [1] [2] [2] [3] [1] (I think that's the order). Source : Working inside files for years

16. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Just went on a blending spree today, and I finally have rebuilt what was lost. I've got less shading errors this time (though still quite a few) so I hope that's a good sign. I also got bored and rendered it with some basic coloring (mainly because I now have bothered to model a brake light).

17. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

This looks like it's going to be really cool :)

18. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Yet another small update... Sorry if I'm spamming everyone. I finished the roof, started on the back, modeled the front and tail lights, and messed around with materials for rendering.

19. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Good job with the car so far. I also admire the idea of it being an original design as well. I hope to see this in-game. :)

20. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Great job so far! I'd love too see one of these in game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice