1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXTREME OVERHEATING

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by IBsenoj, Nov 30, 2013.

1. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys thank for the help... I have a BRAND new Toshiba satellite, 64 bit windows 8, 8 GIGS of Ram, and great performance... anyway its a very high graphics game... and it runs at roughly 120-140 FPS on the game...but today is was playing it for a long time (like 2 1/2 hrs):eek: and it suddenly shut off, it was painfully hot to the touch ( normally its just warm )...if I could get any help that'd be great...:p

P.S. I have cooled it down and have not turned it back on yet I don't know what I should do...

EDIT: also if you want to see my specs its in my signature, kinda obvious...:rolleyes:

2. bernard989

bernard989
    Expand Collapse

Turn on V-sync, it will limit your fps to 60. (Your screen can only show 60-75fps maximum anyway, like almost all monitors)
    This will mean you graphics chip and cpu will not be working more than they need to. Also you could consider buying one of those laptop cooling stands. Lastly never use your laptop of a surface that covers up the bottom of it.

3. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Don't actually use your laptop on your lap :p

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Running at 120fps is pointless on a 60hz monitor. VSync will limit your framerate and as a result limit the work the CPU and GPU has to do. Turn some graphics settings down which then limits the work even further (post processing is the killer). Make sure the laptop does not have its vents covered at all (soft surfaces or your lap = covered vents) and yeah, cooling stand.

Laptops dont fare well for gaming. Even gaming laptops arent all that suitable for it.

5. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Okay thanks, is V-sync a graphics setting in-game? and yes I always have the laptop on a table or a flat surface that won't block the fans...:p

6. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Them cooling pads do alot! I remember my old toshiba needed the fans and heatsink cleaned out of it. and i was took lazy too, idle like 80c full load 109c.. bought a cooling pad and the temps dropped to 62c idle 85c full load. Cleaned it out finally and with out the pad idled like 28c and full load 40c lol.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Its in the graphics settings on the main menu. I often found that the rubber feet on my old laptop werent tall enough to allow adequete airflow. I had some felt circles which are meant to go on the bottom of furniture legs and prevent scratching on wooden floors which made perfect additional spacers.

8. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

as they all said, turn on vsync, laptops arnt really made for gaming (also, 120 fps on an intel hd 4000? yeah, sure, completley beliveable (in case your wondering, im being sarcastic))

9. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

well it is brand new, nothing really on it besides BeamNG, not really any background apps to run and its just amazing...:eek::p

P.S. my specs are just as good if not better than yours...:eek:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I know Laptops aren't supposed to run game like that but it runs fine for me...its just the fans that don't work very well, I'll look into that cooling pad too. but first I'll do the chair pads LOL:D

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you all for your help! :D

10. DevKryton

DevKryton
    Expand Collapse

I find it hard to belive that you get 120-140 fps with intel integrated graffics and that "ok" cpu.
    I mean it is impossible to get higher than 30fps on normal settings with your laptop. (And even that is unlikely, more like 15-25fps on your Lap.)

If I play beamng on my laptop wich has a better CPU and an external gfx card, (gtm750)
    I can barely get good fps on a map with a lot of vegetation.

On my Desktop pc, wich runs latest Haswell i7 4770k cpu and the fastest single gpu gaming graffics card currently available on the market, I don't think I would constanly get 120fps.

That sad, I find it very very hard to belive that your 500€ multimedia laptop gets better fps than a high end gaming desktop pc.

Also, just to prove that you are lying, when I run beamng on my latop with intel integrated gfx and not my gfx card, than I get shit fps even though I still have a better cpu than you.

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

uhhh, no, doesnt matter how brand new it is, background apps dont affect the graphics card either, so no matter how new it is, the intel hd 4000 will still be as powerfull as its always been, which is not at all, so i call bullshit

12. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

Our laptops are nearly the same and I'd be happy to run lowest settings at 15 fps. What graphics are you on?

13. rrrrrrrrr9

rrrrrrrrr9
    Expand Collapse

Same, I have a Toshiba sattelite with i7-4700mq @ 3.60ghz, hd 4000 graphics, and 8gb of ram, and I struggle to get low 20s on most maps. Mind you I run at 1080p not 1366x768, but that shouldn't make a big diffference

14. SeenCreaTive

SeenCreaTive
    Expand Collapse

15. rrrrrrrrr9

rrrrrrrrr9
    Expand Collapse

looks cool (pun possibly intended), but too small for my laptop. Seems like and impossibly good price though.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Look at my suggestion above about the feet being too short on most laptops.

Oh, another replacement for the furniture pad things, lego bricks, but they of course dont stick to the laptop, you'll have to just perch each rubber foot of the laptop on a brick and hope it stays there.

17. SeenCreaTive

SeenCreaTive
    Expand Collapse

It's big enough, they come in all different sizes, all different brands, all different types, all different prices. that was just simply the first one I could find

18. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

maybe he was looking in some debug window and not the ctrl+f one.

19. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Are laptop designs really that bad these days? My E6500 can handle a lot and the fan will still be quiet.. Although, I did replace the crappy thermal pads with good thermal paste when I got it.

Anyway, if your laptop has everything accessible through a bottom panel like mine then you can take it off and get any dust out of the fan. Otherwise, you can go and get a can of computer duster.

20. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

they kind of are. My 4 year old laptop hits 86 degrees when it's folding

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice