Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic dirt

Ded4Ged

Question Realistic dirt

Do you make a dynamic dirt, as in the game "Spin Tires"? Or as in "MX vs ATV: Reflex"?
    As well as: snow, sand. It would be great!
    Watch this video
    Last edited by Ded4Ged; 08-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  Thread Starter

Phoenix
    Phoenix's Avatar Junior Member
    Mars, I got tired of the people on Earth.

Default Re: Realistic dirt

This would be very cool. Perhaps if that hasn't been implemented, a simpler method would be to just have a separate texture, traction stats, and separate particle physics. Let's say you're in snow. Your car bogs down a little bit, sinks in depending on a chosen depth of snow, and slings particles that drift down semi-slowly. Dirt could create dust trails, and your car would slide around (not much mind you, just enough to be a noticeable difference)

Wierzbak
    Wierzbak's Avatar Member
    Universe-Milky Way-Solar System-Earth-Europe-Poland

But would it be possible in this engine to get in snow? It's imposiible in most of games to get a little bit under the surface of for ex. snow, sand..
    i5 3570K | Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II 2GB DDR5 | 2x 4GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz | ASRock P67 Pro 3 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | XFX Core 650W | SilentiumPC Regnum L50 PureBlack | Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Left-Handed Edition | A4TECH X7 G700

Hati
    Hati's Avatar Senior Member

Using texels may work for this, I always refer to the blood effects in a game called Overgrowth

in this video it's triangles, but they update to texels a few weeks later. The same could be done in beamNG, but for splashing mud onto a car. the commentary should explain what I'm on about.
    You don't get to tell me which anarchist to listen to. I'm my own man, man. I listen to and blindly follow whoever I want, because I'm an individual. I am independent, and have absolutely no sense of irony. Yeah.
    AMD PhenomII X6 1090T @3.2GHz, ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, 12GB RAM, MSI Radeon R9 280x

Straubz
    Straubz's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hati View Post
    Using texels may work for this, I always refer to the blood effects in a game called Overgrowth

in this video it's triangles, but they update to texels a few weeks later. The same could be done in beamNG, but for splashing mud onto a car. the commentary should explain what I'm on about.
    that might work well for spraying mud on the car but i would love to see something like this

Hati
    Hati's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Straubz View Post
    that might work well for spraying mud on the car but i would love to see something like this
    I think I replied to the wrong thread by accident, but all the same. it'd work. The problem with spin tires is that it's actually quite bad. Look up a game called From dust. It's got a fantastic fluid simulation that deals with lava, water and soft sediments like sand.

The fluid body has a constant volume, conforms to the landmass and there's a nice wave simulation there too.
    Last edited by Hati; 08-09-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    You don't get to tell me which anarchist to listen to. I'm my own man, man. I listen to and blindly follow whoever I want, because I'm an individual. I am independent, and have absolutely no sense of irony. Yeah.
    AMD PhenomII X6 1090T @3.2GHz, ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, 12GB RAM, MSI Radeon R9 280x

allexguzun

in cryengine water is tesselated when player is going through, so i think it is possible to tessalete terrain when it interacts with wheels. but i think it isnt in standard functional of sandbox

Zack240

Yes this would be cool but how realistic?

Bubbleawsome
    Bubbleawsome's Avatar Senior Member
    The impossible planet:41k2.1 (Now Alabama)

Quote Originally Posted by Zack240 View Post
    Yes this would be cool but how realistic?
    Kinda? We don't know yet, I feel you are posting for the heck of it.
    Steam:Bubbleawsome|Twitter:Wesley Merritt @awsomebubble|Ask.fm:bubbleawsome
    Fold for us here at BeamNG! Team#224614
    i5 4670k@4.3Ghz, HD 7970 Ghz
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

dewasha
    dewasha's Avatar Member

spin tires uses havok engine, havok engine is paid engine not free.. cryengine not cant modify in real time (now) maybe in CryENGINE 4

gearsecond
    gearsecond's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by dewasha View Post
    spin tires uses havok engine, havok engine is paid engine not free.. cryengine not cant modify in real time (now) maybe in CryENGINE 4
    Cryengine 3 is actually working in real-time (or no ?) Cryengine 4 (is far far away from being realised)

''not cant modify'' - ''can't be modified''

dewasha
    dewasha's Avatar Member

I know of, or playing or modified in the field ... explosion does not change the ground ... ground rivers etc.

MoJoe
    MoJoe's Avatar Member

Sorry to turn this thread south, but I believe that one of the dev team said it would be hard to simulate and run well. Would be pretty sick though.

Zack240

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleawsome View Post
    Kinda? We don't know yet, I feel you are posting for the heck of it.
    I was asking a question because one of the videos I saw in the thread (not the spin tires) was it looked like everything dag up dirt. which is not realistic because it did not look loose.

SeaDooSnipe
    SeaDooSnipe's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zack240 View Post
    I was asking a question because one of the videos I saw in the thread (not the spin tires) was it looked like everything dag up dirt. which is not realistic because it did not look loose.
    It's called a dust particle.
    2005 BMW 330xi || 2005 SkiDoo MXZ Adrenaline 600HO || 2003 SeaDoo RXDI || 2013 Yamaha 212SS

Zack240

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDooSnipe View Post
    It's called a dust particle.
    nvm it looked like dirt to me.

superhobo666

Quote Originally Posted by MoJoe View Post
    Sorry to turn this thread south, but I believe that one of the dev team said it would be hard to simulate and run well. Would be pretty sick though.
    This precisely.

it would be extremely difficult for a game engine to have both realistic vehicle and terrain deformation while also making the game run stable on the majority of hardware (that sort of processing would take an incredibly strong computer, and would tax the current level of top end machines we have now, unless it ran on nintendo 64 level graphics (IE: Red Faction on the ps2, the graphics where awful, but there was limited terrain deformation.)

Fred50

I would love if BeamNG had dynamic terrain. Also it is possible in CryEngine 3 but you have to have the full engine source code to turn it on.

Kamil_
    Kamil_'s Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fred50 View Post
    I would love if BeamNG had dynamic terrain. Also it is possible in CryEngine 3 but you have to have the full engine source code to turn it on.
    Welcome to the forums,
    Check the date before posting, this one is from August, don't bump these old ones.

Something like in spintires would be a nice thing to do, but it would make the game dedicated to only that terrain

tuningfreak1
    tuningfreak1's Avatar Senior Member

what about dirt and scratches on the car when doing a rollover ? is it hard to programm? in the latest videos and live video there where no damage or dirt textures . you said that maybe there will be dynamic dirt . so then maybe dynamic scratches ? and damage textures ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast