1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Realistic dirt

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Ded4Ged, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Ded4Ged

Ded4Ged
    Expand Collapse

Do you make a dynamic dirt, as in the game "Spin Tires"? Or as in "MX vs ATV: Reflex"?
    As well as: snow, sand. It would be great! :)
    Watch this video

#1 Ded4Ged, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix
    Expand Collapse

This would be very cool. Perhaps if that hasn't been implemented, a simpler method would be to just have a separate texture, traction stats, and separate particle physics. Let's say you're in snow. Your car bogs down a little bit, sinks in depending on a chosen depth of snow, and slings particles that drift down semi-slowly. Dirt could create dust trails, and your car would slide around (not much mind you, just enough to be a noticeable difference)

3. Wierzbak

Wierzbak
    Expand Collapse

But would it be possible in this engine to get in snow? It's imposiible in most of games to get a little bit under the surface of for ex. snow, sand..

4. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Using texels may work for this, I always refer to the blood effects in a game called Overgrowth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lp3HD3RQOY

in this video it's triangles, but they update to texels a few weeks later. The same could be done in beamNG, but for splashing mud onto a car. the commentary should explain what I'm on about.

5. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

that might work well for spraying mud on the car but i would love to see something like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTwSVKCJgg&feature=fvsr

6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I think I replied to the wrong thread by accident, but all the same. it'd work. The problem with spin tires is that it's actually quite bad. Look up a game called From dust. It's got a fantastic fluid simulation that deals with lava, water and soft sediments like sand.

The fluid body has a constant volume, conforms to the landmass and there's a nice wave simulation there too.

#6 Hati, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. allexguzun

allexguzun
    Expand Collapse

in cryengine water is tesselated when player is going through, so i think it is possible to tessalete terrain when it interacts with wheels. but i think it isnt in standard functional of sandbox

8. Zack240

Zack240
    Expand Collapse

Yes this would be cool but how realistic?

9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Kinda? We don't know yet, I feel you are posting for the heck of it.

10. dewasha

dewasha
    Expand Collapse

spin tires uses havok engine, havok engine is paid engine not free.. cryengine not cant modify in real time (now) maybe in CryENGINE 4

11. gearsecond

gearsecond
    Expand Collapse

Cryengine 3 is actually working in real-time (or no ?) :) Cryengine 4 (is far far away from being realised)

''not cant modify'' - ''can't be modified''

12. dewasha

dewasha
    Expand Collapse

I know of, or playing or modified in the field ... explosion does not change the ground ... ground rivers etc.

13. MoJoe

MoJoe
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to turn this thread south, but I believe that one of the dev team said it would be hard to simulate and run well. Would be pretty sick though.

14. Zack240

Zack240
    Expand Collapse

I was asking a question because one of the videos I saw in the thread (not the spin tires) was it looked like everything dag up dirt. which is not realistic because it did not look loose.

15. SeaDooSnipe

SeaDooSnipe
    Expand Collapse

It's called a dust particle.

16. Zack240

Zack240
    Expand Collapse

nvm it looked like dirt to me.

17. superhobo666

superhobo666
    Expand Collapse

This precisely.

it would be extremely difficult for a game engine to have both realistic vehicle and terrain deformation while also making the game run stable on the majority of hardware (that sort of processing would take an incredibly strong computer, and would tax the current level of top end machines we have now, unless it ran on nintendo 64 level graphics (IE: Red Faction on the ps2, the graphics where awful, but there was limited terrain deformation.)

18. Fred50

Fred50
    Expand Collapse

I would love if BeamNG had dynamic terrain. Also it is possible in CryEngine 3 but you have to have the full engine source code to turn it on.

19. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forums,
    Check the date before posting, this one is from August, don't bump these old ones.

Something like in spintires would be a nice thing to do, but it would make the game dedicated to only that terrain

20. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

what about dirt and scratches on the car when doing a rollover ? is it hard to programm? in the latest videos and live video there where no damage or dirt textures . you said that maybe there will be dynamic dirt . so then maybe dynamic scratches ? and damage textures ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice