Best Internet Sercurity.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Deleted member 1747, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys. I have been thinking about getting a new PC and I want to know what the best internet security for it would be.

2. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

what do you mean, internet security, if you mean anti-virus, i HIGHLY suggest Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials(is built into Windows Defender in Windows 8) and Malwarebytes Anti-malware

3. Ckykyro

Ckykyro
    Expand Collapse

I use mcafee, so far so good

4. RyujiSenpai

RyujiSenpai
    Expand Collapse

Kaspersky, No doubt.

5. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

If you want free, solid solutions, try a combination of Avast! antivirus and Malwarebytes anti-malware.
    Avast! works well for active protection (such as blocking harmful incoming objects), while Malwarebytes is a good solution to remove malware/spyware/etc. that you suspect may have made it onto your machine.
    Both programs have "premium" versions with extra convenience features, but both work very well at no charge, and are quite low-maintenance.

6. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much anything that isn't Norton should be good. Personally i use Webroot secure anywhere, but i have used many others (Avast, Kaspersky, Norton...,AVG and McAfee) which are all good. I'm slightly patchy about AVG due to their tech support team being as useful as a chocolate teapot (i love using that example). Generally speaking, don't download anything suspicious or click on dodgy looking links and everything should be good. Hopefully.

7. bunnns

bunnns
    Expand Collapse

I have norton and that malware bytes thing. I think Norton is pretty reliable.

8. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Norton will stop viruses, but it is a bit paranoid (turns up way more false positives than it should, heuristics are way too general) and it is a massive resource pig. Prebuilts tend not to be very powerful, so any extra free hardware resources you can gain by using a more resource-light antivirus count. This is the reason people tend to recommend looking into other solutions, and why Norton has such a bad name, as it tends to come pre-installed on said low-power prebuilts.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

70% CPU usage on a 3.5ghz pentium 4 is what I got when not doing a scan... It also flagged the entire system32 folder as being malware.

10. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

lol Norton is a frickin' joke. It's like an anti-anti-virus. So basically it's a virus. :D

11. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

That proves it. Norton is so paranoid that it is essentially saying that your computer is a virus.
    I use Kaspersky, and let me tell you, it has prevented any hores racing from happening on my computer.

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

"A computer virus is a type of malware that, when executed, replicates by inserting copies of itself (possibly modified) into other computer programs, data files, or the boot sector of the hard drive"
    Worlds most expensive piece of malware :p (probably isn't)
    Most people dont bother distinguishing between virus and malware, the vast majority of malware is not a virus. But anti-malware doesnt roll off the tongue as nicely as anti-virus. Last time I checked, norton might be hogging resources, but its not duplicating itself :p

On windows 7 and below. Microsoft security essentials does the job rather well actually. Not so good at removing (pair with malware bytes for that) but doesnt hog resources and catches a fair old amount. Windows 8 they have built MSE into windows defender. Windows defender was the old windows firewall which was installed by default at least as far back as XP (cant remember but it was probably on 2000 and earlier too). Either way, windows 8 already has MSE built in and it does a decent job as long as your not willy nilly clicking download links on files you cant verify the legitimacy of (in which case no antivirus is going to be all that effective)

13. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Lol, that was probably the reason I now have a viral toaster with Kaspersky on it.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i acutally use that EXACT Combo, MSE(windows defender for me, WINDOWS 8 FTW) and malwarebytes anti-malware, mse finds stuff, and when it does, i set malwarebytes anti-malware on a virus killing spree (which doesnt happen often luckily :)) plus, malwarebytes anti-malware has software you can download, that when run in safe-mode, will allow malwarebytes anti-malware to run in secret (so that no malware or viruses can stop it from running, not sure how well the chameleon (software that i was just talking about) works, as ive never had to use it :D)

15. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Actually, norton does use virus techniques to burrows itself in. That's why it's a bugger to uninstall.
    I use AVG and Malwarebytes for scanning along with google chrome for active protection. Haven't gotten a virus in nearly a year. Last one corrupted my drivers. :p

16. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I use AVG and nothing else, if you get a virus its pretty much your own fault to be honest. In 4 years I've never needed to reformat due to a virus... and i recently found out i had no anti virus for like 5 months :confused:

17. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

Eset nod 32 is the best

18. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Best Internet Security...Symantic Norton Internet security £100 per licence and its awesome

19. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

I'd suggest Common Sense 2014, along with running MalwareBytes every month or so. This combination works perfectly as a two-step solution; CS2014 prevents you from downloading and opening files such as sexypics.jpg.exe, and GTA_VI_PC_PS4_XB1_BETA.exe.py.bat, while MalwareBytes removes those files, should CS2014 fail.

In case the joke roared over your head at 200km/h, realtime antivirus is a waste of CPU cycles.

20. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

#1 Anti-Virus

(just don't download off russian websites or try to find hacks or anything, and there won't be viruses.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice