Tire wear

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Sam2012, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Sam2012

Sam2012
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if this has already been posted before but it would be cool if the game had tire ware and they poped at random when worn drown or if you do a a burnout too long like in gta thank you.

2. T.D.S guy

T.D.S guy
    Expand Collapse

AFAIK no devs have mentioned actual tire wear. however, tires can go flat, and if you drive around on them long enough, they will be shredded to pieces.

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It's not implemented but it's very possible and would probably be easy.

4. joytech22

joytech22
    Expand Collapse

I think it would add to the realism, especially if you could have flat spots on the tyres during racing.

5. ThingThing62

ThingThing62
    Expand Collapse

If not introduced at the release of the game, Since Gabester said:

I could see someone making a addon/mod/lua for it. Good idea though. I would love to be driving on a cliff side, have a tire blowout and slide of the cliff. :D

As for Flat spots, That seems like it would be kinda hard to program. Like if a massive flat spot were supposed to make the tire shake while it revolves. That would probably require modification of the meshes or something. Yes it would be cool though!

6. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

As long as it doesn't take as long time to develop as it does for the Live for Speed guys. :p

But then again, I believe they are going a bit more in depth with what they are doing with their tire simulations.. ^^

7. D0ntstare

D0ntstare
    Expand Collapse

haha blimey, are they still working on that? I stopped playing it about 3 years ago and they had been working on that damn tire model and the Volkswagen Sirocco for a year and a bit before that. Seems to me like they are being a tad lazy on that front, thats 4 and a bit years to do a tire model :/

I just checked their site..... WOW it looks exactly the same as it did last I saw it, even the blog updates are almost a year apart haha. I wonder if their development has ceased due to lack of funding or something.

8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

in real life if you do a long enough burnout you will shred the tires and throw off pieces but then if you keep going they will actually pop.

9. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Really? I didn't know..

10. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, if you drift enough you will eventually blow chunks of the tire off and it'll be down to the tread but it won't actually pop and lose air until you keep wearing them out. That's why it's really important to get a new tire as soon as you hit the tread.

11. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I think he was being sarcastic...

12. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Bingo! Ferlingo! (10 chars...)

13. Sam2012

Sam2012
    Expand Collapse

in real life like in cop chases if you keep driving on a flat there will be really big sparks and even fire also it will no longer move if you keep trying to drivr on tgose flats.thank you.

14. B3AST1YCAK3S

B3AST1YCAK3S
    Expand Collapse

Just make the the tires like in GTA IV where after a lot of tire wear they pop. But also make them wear down and produce less and less traction until they pop. And the idea of flat spots I think would be a harder thing to accomplish.

15. davikasy

davikasy
    Expand Collapse

its good idea

Look Rfactor 2 implement tyre wear when the brakes are blocked :)

16. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I got an idea of simulating tire wear and it also allows creating of flat tires (not deflated, though: but that's easy; just change the beam strength of the tire)

Ok, so, you take the tire:

tire.png
    When the node touches the ground (I don't know if you made it go in the ground a little or something, but anyway), it decreases the length of the sidewall beam depending on the difference in velocity of the node and the ground, so basically if the wheel locks up and the node has 0 velocity, but the ground is at 10m/s or w/e the tire will wear a lot. On the other hand if you do burnouts, the tire will be faster than the ground, again wearing it. Also when you just drive the tire does still slip, especially in hard turns but the physics won't be perfect so that 0.0001 difference is what's needed.

Excuse my 10 second drawing :D

Oh and, is there tire expansion? I'm guessing that should come with the physics but just asking to be sure :)

#16 Kamil_, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  17. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Related to ^ that guy. Will tires expand when you go really fast? I know it was a ROR bug but it might be a weakness of the N/B system.

18. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

No beamng is not RoR so it has none of RoRs bugs.

19. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I know, but it may be an inherent weakness of the n/b system. Like cars clipping because the mesh is more accurate then the n/b.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice