Tutorial: Fix All export problems in 3DS max.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Fundador, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I have seen many threads here saying that when they export models to BeamNG it all goes haywire and spins around the wrong axis or doesn't appear in-game or some other issue.
    Well i have found a simple trick that will solve all these problems very quickly:

1. Export the model as a .OBJ file
    2. Re-import the .OBJ
    3. Export the model into .DAE format and use it in-game.

This also solves all the issues surrounding mirrored axis aswell.

Robbie

p.s.
    if the steering wheel and pedals become unaligned use this to fix it:

The following objects then need to have their pivots points moved to the specified positions:

->steering wheels : To the bit where the wheel connects to the dashboard
    ->speedometer needle, rev counter needle, and fuel gauge needles : To the centre of the needles
    ->pedals : to the very top of the stick connecting the pedal to the car.

#1 Fundador, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Re: Tutorial: Fix All export problems with the press of a button

Seriously? You can right click an object in Blender, Origin>Origin to 3d curser? Also, before doing that, press shift c to reset the 3d curser to 0,0,0. Way easier than using another program...

After that, ctrl a, and rotation and scale. When you import Gabe's vehicles, all the origin's are fine. So anything you add or edit, only needs this applied.

3. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

If you mirror something in 3DS max, the axis also become mirrored meaning in affect pivot mode, the x axis is somehow reversed. I cannot find another way to fix it and i know it has caused others problems aswell.

4. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Explain to me how my mod's come out working just fine? I use Blender 2.69, this sounds like a problem that was made up by someone who doesn't know much?

Just do what I said in blender.

5. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I have never used blender in my life. In 3DS max, like i have already said, mirroring objects causes the axis to flip. resetting the pivot points in both rotation and location will not fix it in this situation.
    For those of us on the forum that don't use blender this has been a bit of a pain and we have had to create a box, attach the objects to the box, un-mirroring their pivot, then delete the box afterwards. Im sure you will agree that this new method sounds much quicker and simpler than going through each mirrored part individually doing that process.

#5 Fundador, Dec 31, 2013
  6. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, I think more people here use Blender, or are able to use Blender vs. an expensive program like 3dsmax.

7. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I totally agree, but their are a few of us that use 3DS max and it has been a pain for us to figure this out. If anyone has an easier method please share it.

Here, this picture should make it clearer,
    youcanseeithere.JPG
    see how the red arrows indicating the X-axis are both pointing in a different direction, but all the other arrows are pointing in the same direction. This happens when you mirror an object in 3DS max. rotating the pivot doesn't fix it as if you were to rotate one of the objects axis by 180 degrees it would just cause the same issue in the green arrows instead.

Edit:

I believe their is actually a free student version of 3DS max aswell...

#7 Fundador, Dec 31, 2013
  8. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Not everyone's a student though.

I don't use Max, but it just seems to me that there's got to be an easier way.

9. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

ye it seems crazy but unless ive missed something that seems like the quickest way to to do it. to be honest, its actually quicker than resetting the pivot points aswell as it takes about 15 seconds to export and re-import it into max.

10. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the tip!...ill have to try this on my object models...been a nightmare getting them working right from 3DSmax...basically why I stopped working on mods...
    ive been using 3dsmax for years and just cant get my head around blenders work flow like I can with 3dsmax

11. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

Even when I mirror things, setting the origin to 0, 0, 0 seems to solve the mental mesh problem.

ss (2013-12-25 at 10.34.09).jpg
    (Not a screenshot of mirroring but shows setting the origin to 0, 0, 0.)

12. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

perhaps it just my buggy coppy haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice