WIP 57 Classic

Discussion in 'Land' started by theWOODman, Jan 11, 2014.

1. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

This was an old personal project that I was working on to render a classic 57 Chevy. Since GregBlast has been working on a node and beam editor, it has given me inspiration to convert this over to work in BeamNG as an old 57 Chevy beater. The kind of stock car racing that I used to watch as a kid and loved was at the local track on Saturday nights where the mechanic down the street would strip out and old classic and bang the heck out of it for a few bucks and a trophy. This is also after the same style as Flatout racing which I liked ( except for the many bugs ).

I've never been a very fast modeler so this project will take me a while, especially when it comes to creating JBeams. The really fun part will be the texturing when it comes to adding dents, scratches, and rust; oh yes, rust-o-plenty.

Here's a video to show my progress. Still rough of coarse, but I'm learning.

Attached Files:

• 1chevy.jpg
    • 2chevy.jpg
    • 3chevy.jpg
    • 4chevy.jpg
    #1 theWOODman, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  2. jotaonze

jotaonze
    Expand Collapse

This is really cool.
    :cool:

3. ThisIsNowMyName

ThisIsNowMyName
    Expand Collapse

Good luck with converting this :D I love these old cars.

4. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

The 57 Bel air is one of my all time favorite cars! Will the only option be a rustbuket, or will there be a more pristine option?
    I will be keeping an eye on this project though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CapnComrade

CapnComrade
    Expand Collapse

This has got to be one of the best models that I've seen in a long time. Keep going!

6. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Looks great, A 57 Chevy would be a fantastic addition to the game. Good luck :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

If I can get this working in-game and I'm happy with the results, then yes there will be a street version, maybe even with some fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror :)

I've always been a real classic fan. There's just something about the old classics that made them look so cool and unique. If this project comes out the way I envision it, then I'd also like to model cars like the old GTO Goat, 40 Ford Coupe, Chevy Nomad, 62 Chevy Impala ( hard top convertible, not the bubble top, hate those ), Mercury led sled, etc..

8. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

Hey, don't forget that these old cars are a lot weaker than modern ones. The older cars just crumple like aluminum foil. They don't have as much reinforcement and safety features as more modern cars.

#8 crazikyle, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  9. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

That '59 Chevy is not really an accurate representation of the era. Those cars were notoriously underbuilt and had a crappy X-frame design. The '57 wouldn't fare that much better in a crash, but it wouldn't fold up quite that horribly. In low speed impacts those old behemoths would total a modern car. The thing to keep in mind is that the entire car back then was made out of the same strength of steel. They didn't really have crumple zones. There was no high strength steel strategically bracing the passenger cell like we see in modern cars. So in higher speed impacts they're absolute deathtraps, but <20 mph against a modern car and the old car will be victorious.

10. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

I saw an accident where a 1970's Holden 1 Tonner hit a 2007 Hyundai Getz. The Hyundai was written off, and the Holden just needed a new headlight & grille.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Newer cars dont have a whole lot of reinforcement. Quite the opposite, they purposely design the front and rear to crumple to act like a giant airbag for the whole car. In a front on collision the entire engine bay deforms (and on newer cars it deforms in such a way to attempt to drop the engine out the bottom of the chassis rather than through the dash) and absorbs a large amount of the impact.

12. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I think a lot of what made cars so cool back then is that aerodynamics and gas mileage didn't play into car design very much. The dodge charger is shaped like a brick aerodynamically but it is a very cool looking brick because that's what they set out to make, a cool car. Now most cars are shaped like pills because it's more aerodynamic and gets better mileage, and they all look shite.

13. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, sir. I was going to say this but I'm really glad to see that someone else can explain that this test was a setup to make old cars looks as unsafe as possible.

14. Dr.pain

Dr.pain
    Expand Collapse

very great man :)

15. nandee

nandee
    Expand Collapse

And the steel is also old on that car, it simply doesn't have the structural rigidity it used to have (and maybe even the engine is taken out too). But yeah, they weren't safe, environmental friendly, BUT they were cool :)

16. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

One thing is for sure, at least car companies at that time took more pride in what they made. You could tell one make and model from another from a mile away as opposed to nowadays where everything looks the same and the only way to tell one model from another is the emblem.... I would also like to see what today's cars would look like when they become classics. There would probably be nothing left but a couple of pieces of thin, rusty metal, and plastic, plastic, plastic.

Well here's a status update. There's a huge difference between designing a model for subdivision surface rendering, and designing a model for game assets. I've been going through and optimizing the mesh the best I could by adding loops where needed, adjusting poly flow, and reducing polys where I can and importing the model to Torque every so often to check for smoothing issues.

It's not easy optimizing this mesh because there aren't too many flat, planar surfaces. Everything is rounded and there's lots of tricky details. I guess that's the price you pay for going classic hehe.
    Once's the body is done, I may have to go back and re-typo where I need to. There's always normal maps to add details and help with rounded surfaces, but there are limits to what they can do.

The most difficult part of the main body is done, now I'm off to finish all the interior details. Now I know why it takes so long to build one of these things, I have a hard drive full of reference photos showing every possible part, seam, and hidden detail possible.

Attached Files:

• 57wip3.jpg
    • 57wip4.jpg
  17. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Just an update to show a bit more progress. I've got the main body boxed in now and the hood and fenders separated. Created a roll cage and finished up the base interior. Also tweaked the dash to hopefully make it as true to scale and proportioned as possible since I'm doing this all by eye. Next up is the frame, suspension and drive train.

Attached Files:

• 57front.jpg
    • 57steering.jpg
    • 57bottom.jpg
  18. JDSJOEL

JDSJOEL
    Expand Collapse

Keep up the good work, it looks very promising.

19. Bering Serria

Bering Serria
    Expand Collapse

Looks Great,
    Would you ever think of doing a gasser version? jacked up, front end chopped off and huge slicks on the rear.

20. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all. Yeah I've thought about it. It wouldn't take much to make a gasser out of it. Just a changes to the suspension, tires, and maybe add some drag bars. Like I've said, "IF" I can manage to get this thing working in-game in a satisfactory way, I'll give it a shot.

Oh, I guess I'd have to get rid of the rust and dents too...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice