1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iheartmods, Apr 6, 2013.

1. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I do not mean to be pushy but we haven't had a developer update in quite a while :(

2. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

real life stuff is interfering with development time. Cut them some slack, 12 hour days making this stuff... they need a break.

3. Thatguy5480

Thatguy5480
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, i understand they have been working hard and are not working tht much due to real-life stuff, but you know there are lots of people in ror and here on these forums that have a dev background, you know more employees to make more vehicles and code....

And yes i do would like at least an update....They planned a demo for 4 months ago!....They have to be closer to that goal....

4. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

end of january isn't 4 months ago, but it still does make me wonder how they planned to have a demo by then and still dont 2 months later

5. kmanmx

kmanmx
    Expand Collapse

Simple.

Guy1: "Hey lets release a demo by the end of January"
    28th Jan,, Guy1: "Actually the Demo isn't ready to go out"
    Guy2: "We may as well hold out and make something proper to release as we're delaying it anyway"

6. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I believe I said in my main post that I was not begging. Like most, I'm just curious about updates. It's been quite a while since we've heard from the devs regarding game development, which is why these forums are here, right?

7. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

well, obviously. I'm wondering as-well. There is a nice little saying though, "It'll be done when its done". The impatience is well understood. I've been wanting to play since half an hour after that first video got released. Its been confirmed twice that they're aiming to release before 2014, its good enough for me. Honestly, with 2 years in development so far another few months is nothing.

8. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

True, true

9. Thatguy5480

Thatguy5480
    Expand Collapse

But there comes a time where the game does not have to be perfect and for to long it has been in development for some people, according to the videos it looks kind of ready, and of course if they do release they can do weekly or monthly updates to fix any bug, just like how Minecraft was released very early and did not stay in private development for 2 years like this game and instead fixed the game as they updated it all the time......

You see a game does not need to be perfect on release, there are things like updates to ensure the game gets better, but of course I am just giving ideas, an update based alpha or beta would be nice.....But thts just me tho....

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

This is a common practise in the game industry which imho has made it worse. AAA-titles get released with day-one patches, and even then they still have lots of bugs. The better the game is when it does get released, the better the companies reputation will be.

Also, have you totally missed the complete fuss when Minecraft got all kinds of updates right before it got "released" ... Especially the hunger bar and new terrain generation caused a great big stir and caused people to basically ragequit cause they didn't like it. The game had been so much fun for creative minds, and suddenly the developers decided to add all kinds of RPG-like features, which caused the fanbase to be split in 3 groups of people: Those who suddenly hated the game for "all these stupid updates ruined the game :'(", those who didn't mind and liked the new items, and those who started buying the game because it was now no longer in beta. That last group didn't know any better, and liked the game as-is. The people who hated the game for the "stupid new features", didn't grasp the fact that they could just... not use those features and play the game like it had always been, except for said hungerbar and terrain generation(I personally also stopped playing Minecraft only 2 months after all those updates, mainly because the new terrain got boring for me)...

Just an example: What do you think will happen if, at some point, BeamNG released a public beta where there is a sandbox mode and a carreer mode, where every car was unlocked and all parts were free for the purpose of testing. Everyone would love the game etcetera etcetera.
    Then suddenly a huge update comes out, adding new modes, you now would have to pay in-game money to pay for cars and parts.
    Half of the players would rage on these forums saying "DIS UPDATE SUX, MY CIVETTA BOLIDE IS GONE I QUIT"... Then there's the other side: those of you who would use your brain and think "Well it was a beta, so better start playing properly"... And then there are the new players who didn't know any better than paying for parts and new cars because they just joined.

Also, if there was a beta, some players would come along thinking they know a lot about cars, even though they've never driven a car hard before, and start complaining that in Need for Speed you can drive a Porsche 930 Turbo up a curb at 150mph, while the Bolide just bursts its tires and rips the front bumper off, and breaks the whole front suspension or something doing 30mph. Not exactly fun to read about when you've worked long and hard on a simulator like this...

Then there's the players who would come complain about some feature that has a huge disclaimer on it that it isn't finished... Again, not exactly fun for a developer to deal with.

On top of that, most of the players here would just get the beta to play it, not to test for bugs. Again, very annoying for a developer.

Long story short, I can see why the developers wouldn't release a beta just yet, and I don't think we are to decide when they should. Sure, I'd love to play and/or test the game right now just as much as you do, but it's their choice when to release anything, not ours, and that's probably for the best.

#10 Mythbuster, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  11. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Thankyou, you worded that so much more eloquently than I would have.

12. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I think this should be like The Warz. Release an alpha and create a forum to report bugs, and then the alpha gets updates as new bugs are found and fixed. It has worked great with The Warz, the only problem that game has is the huge amount of cheaters, but that's not a concern in beamng.

13. Lawrs91

Lawrs91
    Expand Collapse

They're doing the same thing as Minecraft

14. djmengu

djmengu
    Expand Collapse

You will need a thick wallet to play this game, everything costs money.

15. Lawrs91

Lawrs91
    Expand Collapse

You're not referring to Gabe saying the cars will cost money, are you?

In-game money, dude. In-game money.

16. djmengu

djmengu
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, i think i missed the word ingame :D

17. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Well said Mythbuster...like I said previously, just wanting an update lol

18. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I wonder why Meinkraft has become the gold standard for how to do beta releases.

19. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I personally would not mind waiting another 8 months for this game. I can't run it on my computer anyways.

20. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Is your avatar a picture of your computer?

Anyway, I know that the devs have real life stuff to deal with, but I would like more updates than new cars and terrains. (Haven't seen too many of those lately either)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice