1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Performance Concerns

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Bubbleawsome, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I didn't think I would make this thread, with the Race Update so close and all, but it needs to be said.
    Anyways, as a lot of you know, I recently upgraded to a GTX 770 that overclocks amazingly. I expected to see massive fps gains and maxed out gaming at 60 fps all day long. (After all, it exceeds the maximum requirements on the wiki.) Well, even on my pitiful 1280x1024 resolution, I see maybe 40 fps maxed out. It isn't a clearly GPU or CPU bottlenecked situation, but it is rather annoying. I tested my card at 1000Mhz, 1254Mhz and 1306Mhz, nothing changed. All these screens are of the game running max settings.
    Physics;
    (imported from here)
    No physics;
    (imported from here)
    Same map, still physics;
    (imported from here)
    Physics;
    (imported from here)
    No physics;
    (imported from here)

As you can see, I seem to be CPU bottlenecked, but driving around to less GPU heavy areas also increases framerate. My only guess is that the GPU instructions are overloading the CPU with drawcalls or whatever they are called (You get the idea.) It's made BNGD nearly unplayable with all the odd ups and downs. Here is a screenshot of my GPU usage over the game.

(imported from here)
    The card hadn't dropped out of boost yet, it did.

Any help or thoughts? I miss BNG. :(

2. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

somethings wrong i get 100fps average

why are you overclocking your card lol

3. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I just did it to test. I have 6 profiles set up; 1000@1.01v, 1202@1.138v, 1254@1.15v, 1254@1.2v (Stock, my usual), 1306@1.2v (What I use to test some games and benchmarks) and ~1400@1.21v (Never use)
    EDIT: Ooh, 1.138v runs up to 1248! I think I could manage stock clocks at 1.138v. If only nvidias voltage control wasn't so clumsy.

#3 Bubbleawsome, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

something is clearly wrong, you should get much better FPS with that kind of HW

5. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

your processor is not very good at single-threaded tasks.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

considering we aren't playing with the improved performance of the race update, your cpu is probably bottlenecking.

edit: 40 fps with physics turned off? that's wrong.

6. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

You had a Radeon card installed before the 770, no? Did you completely wipe out Catalyst?

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I know it isn't the best, but it was a top end part. Shouldn't be that slow. Don't know why.

Yup. Used DDU and then ccleaner, then ended up deleting some folders myself. Haven had any issues. I do have something like 4 nvidia drivers installed over each other because updates, but that hasn't effected other games.
    Yup. All my other games are running 60fps+ maxed out, so it is an isolated problem at least. I will not be able to reinstall bng until Friday or Saturday, so was looking for a temporary fix.

8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Small update. I was getting eh frames in even the test grid map, so I wen't around changing every setting one by one. I turned off DOF and fps went right to the low 60s. Turned out to be a GPU bottleneck. :eek:
    Suddenly, GPU goes LOLNOPE! BACK TO 50 FPS FOR YOU!! I go check my settings, and it's all normal. I go to my overclock and set it to +57/1.6 (Is 1306/8.78Ghz(Nearly 9Ghz memory. :eek:))
    Still 50fps.
    Change cars. Still 50 fps.
    Drive into the spotlight bug. 38fps.
    Drive away from light, 70fps (My fps limit)
    I check my GPU usage. THE DANG THING IS STUCK AT ~971MHZ!
    Set back to stock (1254/7) Same Framerate.
    GPU usage same.

I now move to DRI. Same.....Framerate
    But now the GPU clocks to 1111Mhz, not 971. (Memory is always full clocks)
    Overclock; same clocks, same framerate. I run GPU-z to see if the utility is limiting me, or voltage or whatever. No limiting.

Conclusion; The way the graphics are being processed is bottlenecking something inside my GPU. Maybe the lighting or geometry processing is stressing compute units. AMD cards tend to be beefier in that area and seem to run this game better IMO. The only other game like this I can think of is NFS:MW 2012. That game ran just as well on mediums on my 7770 as it does on my GTX on high. (Not even max)
    Thoughts?

9. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a GPU bottleneck. How can a 770 not max NFS:MW 2012 on a 1280x1024 resolution!?!?! My uncle's 550ti plays that game at near max settings on 1080p

10. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

It will max the game, but hit stutters every now and again. I think my CPU is limiting me big time there with it's sloppy coding.

11. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I'd suggest getting a new CPU when you get the cash. :p

12. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Current rate of income: $20 every six weeks. In over a year I will be able to buy 1 i5 5670k.
    Halp. :(
    I actually might be able to get one in another 3 weeks if I use microcenter and manage some money finding. (Just moved)

13. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Can you get a job?

14. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Not right now. Most people do not want a 15 year old anyway, and I'm full time student.

15. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Well, mow yards, shovel driveways, etc... Those type of things. I make ~450 bucks per month mowing yards in the summer. It's good money. Been doing it for 3 years.

16. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I would, but we have had a watering ban in parts of TX. Made around $150 last year, but I have no idea if people will want any/much mowing this year. (It's also honestly not really my thing. But money is money)

17. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, middle of summer can get bad. Last summer I mowed twice in 2 and a half months. But if you can use a riding mower, it is so worth it. I get paid 30 bucks everytime I mow my grandpa's yard, and it only takes 30 minutes with a zero turn mower :p

18. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Babysit! (Assuming youre not like me and your neighbors will trust you with children. Apparently nearly killing a friend using nothing but a bike, a wagon, a tire, two car dollies, way too much duct tape, and a very steep road makes me a bad influence.)

19. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I kind of want to hear that story.

20. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Whoa you live in indy too! ;D

Well children, gather around, and listen to my beautiful story of offtopicy neighbor hatred.

This all began a few moons ago, midsummer 2013. It was so innocent to begin with. My friend, Matt, was at my place of residence, and digging through my ever growing pile of miscellaneous objects within my garage. He pulls out a 10 speed bike, along with a skateboard and some rope. So, being the geniuses we are, we tied the skateboard to the bike, via rope, went to the top of aforementioned hill (steep street, whatever). Matt sits on the board, we go down the hill. Halfway at least. The bike was reading 28 mph or something and then i felt a yank on the bike, a yelp, and i no longer felt the resistance of a stocky kid tied to a bike. I quickly stopped, and turned. I saw Matt sprawled in the middle of the road, my el cheapo skateboard missing its front truck, and a pothole not far behind that. I put the pieces together pretty quickly.

Concerned for my friends health, i walked over and kicked him, told him he was a pussy, and to get up. He begrudgingly obliged and we continued on this path of righteousness for a few weeks, using different things to roll down the hill with, (hence the list of things that prompted this story) seeing who could inflict the most pain upon the other by hitting the pothole, etc etc etc. Well, we eventually ended up hitting the president of the Neighborhood Association's van.

A tad bit of background on the NA. It includes the steep culdesac behind my house, its run by an angry crippled man, they enjoy calling the police on us for noise violations. (Shotgun wedding in the backyard (yeah i know my parents are hicks) open headers camaro, you know, quiet things.)

As one may expect, the angry crippled man was angry. Long story short, he gossiped about my little escapade and now all the parents with young impressionable children consider me a threat to their childs perfect upbringing.

TL;DR: Angry crippled man gossips about mattboarding incident.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice