1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

PC Build - How will it run Drive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quannix, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1262.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

That is the general build I am going for here. No matter when I get the chance to order the parts, I'm wondering if anything similar to this setup will be fine running the game?

Also, I'm not a fanboy here, the complete opposite, but I have no interests in an Intel CPU. I'm trying to keep the price low with good GPU horsepower. I hope you guys understand.

Thanks in advance.

2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

You should read some reviews of that CPU and gaming, and power consumption as well.

3. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

> low end processor with enthusiast level graphics card

that doesn't really make sense. the 780 is pretty much designed for gaming at more than 1080p. buy a 770 and get an intel i5 4670k. the difference between a 770 and a 780 is really rather small, but the difference between a haswell i5 and the 8320 is huge.

4. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

I know the i5 would be better, but the 4670k is nearly a hundred bucks more, in addition to the fact that Intel motherboards would be better.
    I will look into what Intel has to offer, but I prefer AMD's price/performance ratio.

@Deject
    The 8320 is still comparable to an i5. There's no denying that it is less powerful in some applications, and I fully understand that, but I don't personally find the extra price worth it. Again, I will look into things. For the 780 is there because I plan to play decently intensive games while streaming, such as Metro: LL, Far Cry 3, Minecraft w/ Shaders, etc. If a new game comes along, I want to be able to max it.

5. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Jeez, people. I have a FX 6300, and it runs Beam pretty well. Add 2 more cores and it will get better, although not as good as Intel, it is a good choice. Quit harrassing him for choosing an AMD CPU. Intel is good, a mid-high end AMD is pretty decent. Good build, although a 780 is unneeded.

6. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

But! But! His opinion is wrong! It's different from mine!

7. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

The 780 is probably a bit overkill, but I am not sure yet. As I stated in my previous post, if a game exists, I want to be able to max it out, maybe tone down Anti-Aliasing in some games.

Though, I might just cut the 780 down to a 280X Toxic or 770.

8. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

you probably dont want an amd videocard right now. the prices are inflated from cryptocoin mining.

if you're streaming, you can use nvidia shadowplay to stream at 60fps with very little performance impact ingame: buying a higher end gpu doesnt affect streaming much anyways. the performance impact from streaming stems from your processor encoding video frames in real time (but nvidia shadowplay avoids that by using a dedicated encoder on the gpu).

if you're playing modern AAA games or console ports a lot, you dont need top end hardware to max out at 1080p anyway.

9. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Like others have said, an Intel CPU would be better, but that should do pretty OK, especially with the upcoming update reducing physics load. From the Hyper 212 Evo and high end mobo I assume you're planning to overclock? If so, this would be fine.

EDIT: My friend's FX 4130 and 7870 handled the game at 30FPS/720p max settings when I went to help him build his PC. I figured this would give him a much more entertaining way to see if his cooling was shot on any of his components than watching it bench for a half hour. He'd never owned a high end rig before, and was used to Skyrim on low at 20FPS. The last thing you want to do with your first gaming rig is sit there and watch numbers for a day. We had reason to believe the cooling may be bad. Being my first AMD CPU install I botched it the first time and was worrying I bubbled the TIM. (AMD is far easier first install than Intel IMO, but YMMV.) The vapor chamber on his graphics card was also slightly bloated, and had blown apart a few of the smaller screw fittings for the fans.

#9 pulley999, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

Quannix, it will run the game very well.

pretty OK, huh ? It's an 8 core CPU with 10 MB of cache paired with a strong GPU. While I think he could balance the system better and save himself some money by getting a cheaper GPU, that build will run the game better than "pretty OK".

11. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

amd cores share their resources and have a low IPC. you get what you pay for.

12. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Id agree with you, but quantity of cores is practically irrelevant here. BeamNG has a very strong preference towards intel cores, as vehicles are simulated per core. In everything single core intel pretty much kills AMD. Due to the cpu bottleneck, Id expect it to run a fairly constant 50-60 fps, and most likely having up to 4 or 5 cars.

13. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

Hey, look, I'm not arguing the fact that Intel CPUs are faster than AMD CPUs. It's a well known fact Intels are faster. What I'm saying is, the build he posted will run the game well.

14. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

I can run BeamNG fine, and my rig is not as good as yours, you should be fine running it.

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

*says his rig is not as good as op's* *has one of the highest end i7 cpus that aren't extreme edition, and is a lot better than op's cpu*

Logic yo

16. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

It's not that, AMD is still a great CPU. An Intel CPU would be better in this scenario because the devs have stated they are optimizing for Intel 1st, AMD 2nd. While the reasoning for this is unknown (I'd suspect it either has to do with the fact that A:)They all run Intel systems (speculation) or B:)the higher performance ceiling on the blue team.) anything under $220, though, AMD all the way. Far better price/performance than Intel chips.

17. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Wrong and wrong. It isnt optimized for either. Intel simply has faster cores, and therefore runs better.

18. HoldenBoy233

HoldenBoy233
    Expand Collapse

AMD and Intel aren't stupid, you literally get what you pay for. The 4670k is around $280 AUD and the 8320 is about $200 AUD. The more you pay, the more performance you are likely to get and furthermore, an octo-core CPU is pretty much useless in gaming at the moment, no games as of yet are using more than 4.

I'm not completely throwing this build out the window because you've got the right idea in terms of CPU to GPU price difference, you should spend a considerable amount more on a GPU than a CPU for a gaming rig.

19. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Except BeamNG, which actually will scale across every single core you have as you add more vehicles.

20. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

For what I've seen in this forums my i5 2500k performs better in BeamNG than any 8-core amd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice