Released The Nostalgia II ( Remake of the Super Stunt Track from Race Drivin' )

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by mike22, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

VERSION 1.0

The Nostalgia II was modeled after the Super Stunt Track in the classic 1990 arcade game Race Drivin'. Analog controls are highly recommended. A wheel gives you that authentic Race Drivin' feel. Also, the hood or cockpit camera is recommended.

Version 1.0 Changes:
    I basically made this track into it's own game to match the gameplay of Race Drivin'.
    - Time left, MPH, and score on the OSD update once per second
    - Time left is tied to the gas gauge in real time, so when you're out of time, you're out of gas
    - Your best lap amd best score are automatically saved to a file and loaded while playing
    - To try again after "G A M E O V E R", press R, F7, R, then SHIFT-T to reset the Lua system. That exact sequence will spawn the car back at the original spawn point no matter how many times you've used CTRL-R during your run. Resetting the Lua system gives you time, which in turn gives you gas.
    - Code and other things in place to prevent cheating the system
    - Includes Bolide FT40 that has an unbreakable drivetrain. Backup of original file that was edited included.
    - Increased gravity slightly ( Makes the jump more forgiving and the car grips the road more )
    - Reduced drifting distance after fuel ( time ) runs out

Corrected track skirt normals
    Added track skirt where needed
    Added SAM's and changed the building before the jump
    Some terrain work

Notes:
    Don't worry about the time ticking down before you actually cross the start gate because once you cross the start gate, your time left resets.

Things to do:
    Whatever else is possible at this point

Beta Version Changes:
    Remodeled the tunnel and made it straight
    Reshaped the steep hill
    Smoothed and remodeled some incline joints
    Minor terrain sculpting
    Added normal map and specular map to track material
    Further smoothing of the first banked turn

Features:
    My custom OSD
    Online leaderboard at
    m22tracks.com
    Accurate recreation of the track it's modeled after
    Solid framerate

How to Use:
    Drag and drop all directories from the archive into your main BeamNG Drive folder.

Known Issues:
    The first banked turn is a little choppy but not enough to damage the vehicle.

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

Attached Files:

#1 mike22, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. destroyer8769

destroyer8769
    Expand Collapse

niiiiiicccceeeeee looks good, i cant wait

3. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Looking good Mike, I especially like the sky :).

I think it would be cool if you sank the whole track a bit, so instead of having the track sit on top of the flat ground, move it down 10 feet or so. I think that would make the map look a bit more realistic, and it would create natural slopped walls on both sides of the track. I had the same problem with your first Nostalgia track, the terrain was just to flat and bland, I also don't like being able to see the entire track as your driving around- it makes the level feel smaller then it is.

Just some constructive criticism for ya mate, I love all the work your putting into these tracks!

#3 LSDMT420, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

isn't that kind of the point? I mean these are based off tracks from an 80s game, if he stays true to the originals then there gonna be pretty flat:p. anyway looking good mike. that corkscrew looks a lot more intimidating than it did in Hard Drivin' lol.

5. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Your probably right, I never actually played the 80's game. Just saying IMO, using a flat terrain makes the map feel a bit boring and unfinished/not natural. If your going for a pure retro game look then of course my suggestion is moot, I just feel its a shame to not utilize the game engine to make a nice looking terrain, along with your awesome track mesh.

6. Mastertaco

Mastertaco
    Expand Collapse

well theres a thing called Nostalgia, And if your not Old(or old school) enough to get it, you dont get it, Thats it.( i may be only 21 but i could care less about anything modern Old Skool all the way! very few things from modern times i do like(hell even all my R/C's i have are from the 80's (all old tamiyas)))

Awesome track tho would be awesome to see some more of these

7. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Mastertaco,

I do get the appeal of an exact recreation of that game, it's not something that is difficult to understand nor does it require one to be "old school". All I did was express my opinion, which happens to be different then yours.

#7 LSDMT420, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I love bringing old games into new ones! great job.

9. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Looks like another amazing track. I'm looking forward to this. :D

10. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

That corkscrew looks crazy.

11. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I added some scenery, but I still have to adjust it a little. I closed the mountain the only way I could..

Attached Files:

• BeamNG.drive.x86_2014_04_18_23_21_48_300.jpg
    • BeamNG.drive.x86_2014_04_18_23_22_28_649.jpg
    • BeamNG.drive.x86_2014_04_18_23_24_03_459.jpg
  12. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I just uploaded the alpha version. It's pretty solid.

13. james_uk

james_uk
    Expand Collapse

Really nice so far. On your test runs, which car are you using? Using the Civette Bolide, doing the half loop results in losing too much speed and falling off, the corkscrew again usually results in losing too much speed and falling off and doing the big slope results in losing too much speed and sliding back down again :p

14. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I added this to my first post:

A fast vehicle is required for some of the stunts. My primary test vehicle for this track was the Civetta Bolide FT40 GTS.

I know exactly what you mean though. If you use manual transmission, it helps to stay in a lower gear doing those stunts. For instance, I've completed the corkscrew and steep hill with the DSC Pickup.. in 2nd gear.

15. james_uk

james_uk
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the heads up. Using that car makes a collosal difference with both this and the previous Nostalgia track. Did a run with this along with some appropriate sound edits:

I'm amazed that BeamNGs advanced physics/damage system still allows these stunts to be completed nearly 20+ years later even with none of the original games physics aids/oddities. Hopeful for a proper replay system in BeamNG someday :)

#15 james_uk, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  16. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I LOVE WHAT YOU DID TO THAT VIDEO !

That was awesome. I'm amazed that the stunts are able to be completed in BeamNG too.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to re upload the archive. I missed a line of code in the .mis file that has to do with the timer working correctly.

17. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

Here's my best time for the track so far. It isn't anything special because I had to control R like 6 times, but it'll only count the time as a "best" if all the checkpoints are reached and you complete the track, which is a challenge in itself. I did complete the corkscrew on the first attempt though.

(imported from here)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see someone do better than this..

Automatic Transmission
    Driving Force GT set to 900°
    only one CTRL R used

#17 mike22, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  18. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I'll be releasing the beta version of this soon. The tunnel is straight now, I reshaped the steep hill, and generally smoothed out the incline joints. I also did what I could for the first banked turn. The damn thing doesn't wanna smooth out completely no matter what I do !

- - - Updated - - -

I just uploaded the beta version. It's gettin' there. Don't forget about the online leaderboard at m22tracks.com. I'd really like to see what kind of times you guys can get on this track.

#18 mike22, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  19. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

- - - Updated - - -

I'm about to post a video that replaces the one above. It's a perfect run. It's unbelievable. I can't believe I just did this..

#19 mike22, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  20. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

nice lol cant wait to see it, i have yet to even make it to that corkscrew type loop thing lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice