Released Demolition Derby Arena with vehicles

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Braindead, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG.jpg BeamNG.drive.x86 2014-04-21 15-48-17-215.jpg BeamNG.drive.x86 2014-04-21 15-52-11-742.jpg

So I thought I'd have a go at building an area to have demolition derbies in with the AI. I know the game has arenas already, but I found they weren't really suitable with the AI in it's current state.
    The arena is a bowl based off some awesome demo derby PS1 game I remember playing. The whole map was made in game using the creator and the game's assets. Torque3D doesn't have the best tools in the world, the max brush size of 40 kinda stinks, if it was bigger the bowl would be a lot smoother I can tell you that!

A few things to note about the map:
    -5 vehicles driving around can get pretty laggy if you don't have a high end PC.
    -All the cars start next to each other facing the same direction, because as far as I'm aware they cannot be rotated. I tried starting them far apart but they tend to try and drive in a circle and hit walls instead of reversing.
    -The stage is fairly baron when it comes to objects. AI has no pathfinding so they have less stuff to bang into.
    -You can use J to freeze physics, then use Tab and I to reset all the vehicles.
    -If you set them to follow, all the AI will be going for you rather than each other, but they ignore one another so a lot of the time it feels like they are aiming for each other rather than you.
    -When you start out, the camera will always start on the red truck, but you will control another car. Before you begin, cycle through all the vehicles and then start driving. You should be able to drive any vehicle of your choice, but if you swap vehicle and the AI stops working, you will have to reset the whole game to make them work again. (I don't know why this is or if you can stop it, I'm assuming it will be patched in the future)

Remember CTRL+T to enable AI.

This map can be pretty damn fun, and will work a lot better when the AI is properly implemented, but if you're bored feel free to try it out.
    I may have classed it as released, but that doesn't mean it can't be updated, so feel free to leave suggestions and criticisms.

Enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

#1 Braindead, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Great Idea thanks,

3. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Cool map! Great work.

4. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys! :)

5. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Just a question, have you made any vehicle mods because this map is quite high quality?

6. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! But unfortunately no, not yet anyway. I've been messing around with Jbeams to alter the performance of cars and dds files on photoshop to reskin them, but so far I don't really know how to alter the meshes.

I'm assuming you open the .dae file in blender or 3ds max. If I ever make anything of decent quality I'll be sure to upload it.

7. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

cool. As I said before great job!

8. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

looks nice but i would put a released notice ;)

Attached Files:

• ok.PNG
    #8 msurf15, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  9. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

You mean wouldn't!? :p
    Did you get any errors when you tried to load the map, it would make it a lot easier to fix:)

-Edit-

wait lol that screenshot is confusing me, is that my map or yours, I didn't think I had any water in it. Also I thought it had a release notice, weird.

#9 Braindead, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

hahaha sorry i meant to put that screenshot on another map page sooorry :eek:

11. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Very nice map ! Still lags on high end pc like mine :/. Is there any way i can delete 1 or 2 cars ?

12. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Specs? (just wondering)

- IBsenoj.

13. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

Hehe yeah my pc is pretty good and I still only get 30fps average with all the cars.

If you press F11 and go into the editor, use the object tool and just delete a couple of the other cars and then save and overwrite the file.:eek:

And thank you!

14. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

I have a suggestion, since I cant model terrains, a cool Idea would be a king of the hill destruction derby! like one on top of a building with no railings, so if you are pushed off you fall to your death!

15. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I'm looking forward to derbies like that but mine isn't like it for a few reasons. Mainly, it's because I don't know how to tell the AI not to drive over the edges. They will simply use a huge turning circle and drive off the edge every time. You can probably make them boundaries somehow, but I have no clue.
    And secondly, a stage like this is already in the game, on the derby arenas map. You can't actually drive to it, you have to place your cars there, but I'm looking forward to it when it's usable.

16. rt389g@hotmail.c

rt389g@hotmail.c
    Expand Collapse

Looks good, I will download and give it a try this weekend. I have been playing the derbys in NCG recently and enjoy them.

17. MuscleCarFan01

MuscleCarFan01
    Expand Collapse

Very well done!

18. rt389g@hotmail.c

rt389g@hotmail.c
    Expand Collapse

In some thread somewhere, might have been garage games, I did see, there was a way to go into a file and change the max brush size to above 40. I wish I could make the brush thinner, zoom in and be able to do detailed work. Maybe thats possible too.

19. DESTROYER3001

DESTROYER3001
    Expand Collapse

Love the map would be amazing if I could have real demo Derby's but my computer can't handle that at the mo ( I get about 7fps)

20. BaronRedStorm

BaronRedStorm
    Expand Collapse

Hmm my pc cries on this map i get around 15 fps but i'm fine with that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice