Advanced Vehicle Repair

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Hati, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

So this is a game feature suggestion, I originally made it on the getsatisfaction site, I figured I'd stick it here as well.

You're creating a game out of this, and it's physics based. hopefully this means sandboxes with saves. Say I decide I'm going to see exactly what I can put a vehicle through but I break the suspension accidentally and that hinders my mission. Or a long road trip is ruined because I broke something on a bump.

In RoR your only option was to re-spawn and try again, say you snap a tie rod or ruin the steering and haven't damaged the actual car's structure that much. Is there a chance of a selective repair mode? say, rebuilding suspension and the axles of the vehicle only?

an expansion on this idea is as follows; You can already edit cars in game and they update dynamically, so how about saving copies of the car to another folder. so you save a car in whatever condition you want to leave it, exit the game. Then when you come back you can spawn it again later on another level if you wish and then when you're done, save it again. it would be an interesting thing to add, say we end up with a demolition derby server because you guys where nice enough to provide multilayer with PvP collision. well, I do banger racing and I like to see how long I can keep the same car going for, it's part of the challenge. so being able to repair your car manually, replace broken beams and save a vehicle in a particular state and spawn it later would be cool. So not having your car in pristine condition each time might make things a little more interesting.

it's just an idea, mind you. I don't think it'd appeal to everyone so this shouldn't be a massive feature if it's implemented.

2. spartan239

spartan239
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you. However, I would like to add to your point. I would enjoy being able to select parts and decide on their condition. Say if I wanted to drive and see what a slipping transmission would feel like, I would be able to do so. If I want to see the difference between perfect car, and a car that has blown a tie rod, I should be able to do that also. In theory, I could be able to do this with an unchecking of a box. (Or something similar.) That would be pretty cool in my opinion.

3. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Almost like failure options in x-plane?
    Also, in ror backspace would reset in place, it would be nice to have that.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe
    Expand Collapse

+ Support!

I didn't like how you had to respawn your vehicle to fix the damage in ROR, so even just a button to make it undamaged again would be a good feature.

5. Kristian

Kristian
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to correct you on this.
    Hit the BackSpace key, and you'll repair-on-spot.
    I'm guessing they'll add similar system in BeamNG.

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

This sounds like a really cool idea to me, especially the demolition derby thing. However I think it would require a ton of extra work from the developers and in the future maybe extra work for modders. However, I think it might be possible to do a much simpler version of this, which would still be a lot of extra work, but a lot more doable I would imagine... With the way your system works, they would have to assign a seperate "section" to every beam and node. For example, say I'd have node 1 through 8 for the front hubs, 4 and 8 being the node which connects one end of the tie-rod, node 9 and 10 for where the tie-rods connect, node 11 through 18 for where the A-arms connect and node 19 and 20 where the shocks connect. Now... Not only would they have to put a line before listing those nodes saying "The following nodes are where tie-rods connect" or "the following nodes are the hubs and node 4 and 8 are also tie-rods", they would also have to put a section which says "There through here is all front suspension" .

You would also need sections which say what beams should be repaired when each button is pressed...

Not only that, it would also require the programmers to make a system which makes the game understand "Okay so if Node 4 and 9 are left tie-rod nodes, I should repair the *hydros*(not just beams!) between those now", and make it decide whether to reposition the nodes, whether or not to just re-create the beam between the nodes and whether or not to make those beams the original lenght(which would deform your car again). And on top of that, what if the car hasn't got upper a-arms, but just mcPherson suspension? Then what?... Would require more programming and more lines in vehicle files... It would be quite a lot of hastle to make all the parts seperately repairable, and with such a limited amount of people interested in this, I don't think it would be worth the effort(?) for the devs.

I think it would be a lot more doable to just have 2 buttons(in a menu) to press to repair the whole front/whole rear suspension. That way you'd only need a two lines in the beams section (once again "All beams after this are front/rear suspension" and then "all beams after this are normal beams"). Once you press the button all broken beams in the suspension are recreated(at whatever % of their original lenght).
    And when the nodes which the suspension attaches to are too badly deformed, it will not repair anything.

Maybe I'm wrong, but doing it like that seems like a better balance between the amount of work and the result, especially programming-wise (more like 'if button X is pressed then rebuild all beams in section front suspension' rather than doing that for every suspension piece?)...

7. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

aslong as a "fix your suspension" mode is present then it's pretty much what I want. as-well as welding doors shut.

8. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Wrong. Backspace re-spawns you wherever you are. I like this idea, why don't devs reply?

9. Budnytrain

Budnytrain
    Expand Collapse

I really hope we can achieve the full 'banger-prep', welding doors, bonnet bolts, removal of interior, door plates and the like... Would just be incredible.

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Why would you bump this thread.

11. B3AST1YCAK3S

B3AST1YCAK3S
    Expand Collapse

12. gtaman788

gtaman788
    Expand Collapse

13. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

haha, you guys keep bumping these old threads.. x|

14. Goose900

Goose900
    Expand Collapse

Better for them to bump old ones rather than make more of the same thing :p everyone here gets told to use the search bar, and with using it old threads will be bumped :p

15. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Bumping it to say something constructive is fine (by me), not when someone replies to an already answered question from 5 pages back though(I saw it in the other bumped thread)

16. Goose900

Goose900
    Expand Collapse

True, I agree with that.

17. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Well, sorry then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice