1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Wheel/tire model - gyroscopic effects

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by MindEraser, Jun 30, 2013.

1. MindEraser

MindEraser
    Expand Collapse

First off, I should say that I know BeamNG is completely separate from RoR and will not share any of its bugs and errors. However, it's still a new-and-improved descendant of RoR, so I'm simply curious about said improvements.

I was messing about with the Gavril MZ2 on NLabs, and I'd tweaked it to have locked differentials for T3H AWD KEN BLOCK DoRiFuT0000!!!11!. I went for some superspeed AWD donuts on the skidpad, but as the wheelspeed increased the car began to rise up on two wheels. Insert not-very-necessary proof pic. This is full-lock and flat out donutting.

screenshot_7.png

I'm pretty certain this shouldn't happen to a low-slung supercar of this stature. I'm 99% sure it's to do with the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, I've had this happen in some particular replica vehicles before and reducing wheel weight solved the issue. Problem there is, those vehicles had real-world accurate chassis/wheel weight (tuned to the pound) and acted correctly in every other aspect.

I know this is essentially messing with physics, but I think it would be great to have settings in the wheels section for gyroscopic effect. Being able to tune longitudinal effect and lateral effect independently of each other would be extremely handy in some cases. Longitudinal might sound useless, but look at a trophy truck or rally car - often drivers will hit the brakes in midair to dip the nose down, or apply throttle to bring the nose up. This is also simulated in rFactor and Richard Burns Rally, incidentally. But the thing is, to get that same ability to tweak your attitude in midair, you need to crank the wheel weight way up. While that works great for the attitude control, it leads to other issues like the gyrating donut. If you were to get some air, and waggle the steering from side to side, the car would go nuts rocking side to side when that just wouldn't happen with a real car. But that has to happen in order for you to attain the attitude control, so I personally feel like the ratio of longitudinal gyroscopic effect vs lateral is pretty well out. Being able to tune each to taste would be amazing.

Just wondering if this gyroscopic phenomena is something you guys have noticed and considered. Cheers.

#1 MindEraser, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

There is absolutely no need for this. Wheel weights are correct in BeamNG. They were NOT correct in RoR. Also, diving under braking has little to do with wheels. It's mostly just the suspension geometry.

3. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

Also you can't just mess with some gyro-effect calculations and what not because there aren't any, this is emergent behavior from nodes moving a beams acting forces. A RoR wheel has most of its (too high) mass near its circumference so it has huge inertia.

4. MindEraser

MindEraser
    Expand Collapse

That's all I was wondering. Glad to hear, cheers.

Yeah, I figured it was dumb. It was like 5am and I was high on Haribo. Retarded suggestion, my bad guys.

#4 MindEraser, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  5. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

doesn't a car leaning over in a high speed donut have more to do with the centrifugal force applied on the car while the wheels apply force the other way?

6. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

Sure, but that alone would never cause such car to lift inner wheels. Have you ever held a spinning wheel? If you try to rotate its axle (x) along y, you can feel how it tries to rotate along z. If exaggerated enough resulting torque might affect whole car like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice