Rev limiter?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Cwazywazy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I have an idea for a simple rev limiter: Just have the game quickly jump to 0% throttle back to 100% (Or however high the throttle is) when the revs reach the max. Would this be possible as a simple mod?

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah this is relatively easy with a just a simple LUA script. (although don't ask me how :p )

3. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I should learn LUA and make this a reality. I'm feeling in a moddy mood.

4. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

This could be useful for high perf motors to help stop it from overheating.

I mean an adjustable one in game that you can set at whatever Rev you want

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

the thing is, if you have the ability to set the throttle to 0% and back, why not simply reduce the actual throttle down to the point required rather than oscillate it up and down.

6. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

well, when a "tap tap tap" rev limiter works, it basically cuts fuel to the cylinders quickly in succession. So 0% (maybe like 10%) throttle taps should somewhat recreate it accurately...In the case of my Mazda, it's throttle by wire. When I rev it to the redline in Neutral, or if I run out of a gear, instead of the tap tap tap, it kind of just limits the throttle, and the revs stay consistent at about 6200RPM steady. Newer cars, like the Sunburst perhaps, should adopt this type of throttle control, while something like the D15 or H15 or Covet should be cable driven throttle. That way, fuel cut could be recreated normally. (theres a redline, and a fuel cut RPM as well generally) Redline simply refers to the Manufacturer's suggested Max engine speed before any damage would occur. More of a warning if anything.

7. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but I think the "tap tap tap" kind would be more fun :D

8. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

If you went over it the car would explode. JK just there have been so many posts on cars exploding even though that is impossible.600th post

9. hummiliation

hummiliation
    Expand Collapse

I wonder what causes the cycle on a rev limiter, is it a lower RPM value or simply time dependent when the RPM increase again?

Anyways, here's something I tinkered around with a while back. You can drop it in any vehiclefolder you like.

Attached Files:

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

They choose it based on the point that you are reaching the maximum mechanical limits of the crankshaft and/or conrods. If you want to have a higher revving engine you need to bulk those up first. Piston rings may also have issues at that speed. Other issues are valve bounce, they simply might not be able to cope with opening and closing so rapidly (a pneumatic setup is used on F1 cars for example just because a spring can't keep up easily without having one so strong as to sap performance as the engine tries to open its own valves). Higher revs = more combustion cycles = more heat = overstressing cooling system. Oil pumps are often driven from the engine and at high revs you may end up with too much pressure for the system (alternatives are electrically driven pumps and in a dry sump system a pressure regulator is a viable fix), on that note you also require more adequate oiling too. Lots of reasons for a rev limiter really. BeamNG already has its maxRPM value to try to limit RPMs but as with a real engine you can force it over the limit with poor operation of a manual transmission or a big hill you can force it over.

11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Fixed it for ya :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice