Debris, Particles and Sound

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by DanniBee, Feb 5, 2013.

1. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Now that we know that the game will be on the Torque3D engine I want to ask how will particles and sound be handled.

If I am to be completely honest most games have ridiculous over the top and repetitive sound effects for crashes, it's either a lot of glass being smashed or a dull metallic sound. In real life, crashes most of the time sound like a large bang, yet no game that I've played has ever managed to do this well and I feel that it would really give a much better impression of a large collision than just stock sound effects. Hopefully you're focusing for this anyway, but I though it would just be a nice thing to mention, if you watch any car crashes on YouTube from the interior of a car, it definitely sounds more like a bang. Whereas externally there is more of a crunching metal/breaking glass sound, which is usually the lights smashing or a wing mirror breaking. Basically my question here is will the sounds be dynamic relative to the collision? (ie will there be a breaking glass sound when a car is lightly shunted, simulating light breakage)

Another thing I wanted to bring up was the debris. In an accident there is always a lot of debris to be found on scene, shards of metal, glass fragments etc. Of course, it would be very impractical for every part of the car to be simulated in real time, we're not quite there yet. I hate to use Rigs of Rods as an example because it has nothing to do with this, regardless as you can see in this image here:

060.jpg

Debris has been scattered across the road including chipped parts of bodywork and engine, ripped pieces of plastic and so forth. But the thing that I felt was needed quite badly in RoR was the fact that there was very little particle effects or debris; in a collision only detectable parts would be thrown about and there were no particles emitted for the breaking glass + scratching paint etc. Particles could be used to simulate more debris than there actually is present in the car models and a certain amount of glass and metal fragments could stay on the ground in-game where the emitted particles passed through the ground or something similar. Crashes should feel a lot more realistic and have a large impact, which could be further amplified by using some of these systems in game, whilst still focussing sorely on realism, of course :p

Now sound is a must so I am sure it will be implemented in some form, but I was wondering what plans you had for particle effects and stuff of that nature. Sorry for the long post :)

2. chainsaw

chainsaw
    Expand Collapse

I totally agree with this. One thing that RoR missed was lots of pieces of plastic, glass and shards of other materials scattered around the floor. These don't necessarily have to be 'colidable' objects. You had a crash in RoR but it just didn't feel like a proper crash without all of the particles flying around.

Would also be cool if you lost traction when you ran over this debris.

#2 chainsaw, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

its missing in all games. so some kind of physics based non-fading particle effect would work

4. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the OP & Hati.

Although the amount of particles released should be carefully related to the Force of the crash.
    I don't want to bump a car & have hundreds of particles flying around :p

Also, a rough calculated direction & force with which debris are thrown should be taken, relative to where & at which direction & force the crash happened.
    Example: Hitting a car head-on into a wall shouldn't made debris fall out from the middle or end of the car, just the front of the car & not too much scattered.

Sound also should be implemented globally. (Custom engine & horn sounds are ok, just no custom crash sounds)
    Also, maybe no custom collision sounds, like in RoR? Because some of them just sounded unrealistic & some were too loud, & those just made it irritating.

#4 Rocking_Star, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Bump. +1

Would like to see this In Game, since I found this thread, no need to start a new one right?

Any devs like to collaborate on this a little? :D

6. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

7. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Ah. I was thinking that thread would be based on Fire/Exhaust like entities. :eek:

8. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

9. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We're working to make the particles and sound as awesome as we can, don't worry :)

10. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Not to be pushy, but I think a new video with some awesome burnout sounds, wrecking and crashing noises would be pretty baws. :D You guys are great.

11. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you! A short video with current sounds! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice