Released Steam name changer / Default License Plate Hack / alias tool

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by torsion, Jun 18, 2016.

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

A mod that lets you arbitrarily/permanently set what will display on the license plate of the first vehicle you spawn.

http://beamng.com/threads/plate-setting.26152/ As described in this thread, the default license plate will always be your Steam username (assuming you start the game using Steam). This is a pain, especially because you cannot edit the plate text inside a scenario!

Here is a quick and non-invasive mod.

Installation:

1. Download the zip and place it in your Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\ folder.
    2. Start up the game and enter the Garage.
    3. Change the license plate to your desired plate text. There's a screenshot below showing this.
    4. Set as your default vehicle.
    5. Done.
    6. (Garage plate text will now replace your default license plate everywhere until removing the mod)
    Removal:
    1. Remove the zip from your Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\ folder.
    2. Done.

Attached Files:

#1 torsion, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  2. yolo-phil

yolo-phil
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much. Very nice!

3. dinosaur202

dinosaur202
    Expand Collapse

You can already do this, you have to go into the config in the garage.

4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

From the wording of your post it's hard to tell... are you letting us know that you that this new feature is now available in the game or are you trying to tell us that this mod was pointless because the feature was already in the game?
    • If it's the former (the first case) then thank you - nobody has mentioned this new feature to me and I don't think that it's been discussed in the update notes / blog. With that said: the feature you pointed out still doesn't do what this mod does. When you setup a custom license plate in Garage it doesn't transfer onto your vehicle inside a scenario and with 'Competitive scenario conditions' enabled (by default) you cannot change your license plate manually. The scenario will use your Steam name. My mod allows you to prevent this, as described in the OP.
    • If it's the latter (the second case)... you may not realize that this mod has been out since before the Garage. So you couldn't 'already' do anything like this when the mod was released. Of course that's all a moot point since the Garage's functionality doesn't do what this mod does, as described in the previous bullet!

5. dinosaur202

dinosaur202
    Expand Collapse

After reading what you said in the first bullet, that's intresting, of course I never do scenarios because usually they have too many cars.

6. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

That explains why you didn't know.

Scenarios are great, and more than half of the ones included with the game do not include more than 1 car. I recommend that you check some out. Scenarios like "Broken Truck" could still be too much for a low end PC, but scenarios such as "Town Short Course" A/B, Big Air Vanster, Hypermiling, Port Shakedown, etc are all lots of fun.

7. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

This is the old version of the OP, shortly I will replace the original post with a new version of the mod. Please only use the contents of the following quote and attachments for archival purposes. (eg there should be a better version somewhere, use that!)
    EDIT: added second published version (which has the "CHNG ME" bug)
    EDIT: added third published version (the final version intended for game version 0.9.x)
    EDIT: added fourth published version (for v0.10.x)
    EDIT: added fifth published version (for v0.12.x, 166 downloads)

#7 torsion, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

I could imagine YBR using this kind of mod but then i think he just launches it from the executable file.

9. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I've overhauled the Steam name changer.
    • Continues to be relatively safe / update-proof.
    • It no longer requires any external files or setup! (previously required manually editing "game-settings.ini" in a text editor)
    • Replaces your Steam name with whatever you've saved as your default license plate in the Garage. (unless that's set to the same as your Steam name... then it uses "CHNG ME" or "SET ME")
    • As of v0.9.0.1 it loads and works automatically once installed in the /mods/ folder.
    The new download is in the first post.

10. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Update (new zip is attached to the first post):

Fixed a bug which would cause the script to repeatedly set your name to "CHNG ME". :( It was really a structural issue with the code. On initial load I wanted to check whether the default config used your Steam name - this is to help protect people who install this mod after already creating a default config which contains their Steam name. In order to make sure that any changes made in the Garage take effect without loading the game I re-ran the same function whenever a level is unloaded. This is a problem since at that point the mod has already overwritten the Steam name. Anyway the code has been refactored to only check for your Steam name being the same as your default license plate when the extension is loaded. For every level unload after that it simply grabs whatever is in the default config and overwrites the Steam name with that.

11. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Updated for v0.10.x. See the first post for the new zip.
    --- Post updated ---
    Minor update. Corrected syntax for registerCoreModule.

I was using this:
    registerCoreModule("torsion-steam_name_changer")
    When I should have been using this:
    registerCoreModule("extensions/torsion-steam_name_changer")

I didn't see where this affected anything in a negative way, but fixing it did clear up an error in the log. :)

12. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Minor update to folder structure + naming and loading of extension. Trying to track modern naming conventions from official content. New version is in OP and should work for v0.12.x

Code:
    torsion-steam-name-changer\lua\ge\extensions\torsion-steam_name_changer.lua
    becomes
    torsion-steam-name-changer\lua\ge\extensions\torsion\steamNameChanger.lua

Code:
    extensions.load('extensions/torsion-steam_name_changer')
    becomes
    extensions.load('torsion_steamNameChanger')

13. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Looks like I failed to share the previous update, but I've uploaded the current one for v0.16.x in the OP.

The last few changes were simple syntax changes to keep up w/ changes to the game:

seems like this was depreciated:
    Code:
    extensions.load('torsion_steamNameChanger')

then this was depreciated (I think):
    Code:
    registerCoreModule('torsion_steamNameChanger')

And now I'm using this:
    Code:
    registerCoreModule('torsion/steamNameChanger')

14. dandieline

dandieline
    Expand Collapse

Hi Torsion

Thanks for this mod.
    Its what Im looking for with the exception of being able to trigger the name change between competitive scenario, if two people are making a local attempt at the same race it would be great to use this to speperate the times on the leaderboard.
    Can this be triggered from the CMD line?

Regards

15. dandieline

dandieline
    Expand Collapse

Steam.playerName = "XXXXXX" seems to work from the command line quite well but only from the main menu, do you think it could be possible from within a time trial for example?
    As different users have a go at the same race, this would prevent me reloading the race to correct the current driver name.

16. steveh

steveh
    Expand Collapse

My son has been using this mod for ages but it doesn't seem to work anymore (0.18.4.0)

When the game is restarted, the name next to the steam icon is that of our new plate saved on the default vehicle but the plate on the car is some random thing, seems to change each run.

#16 steveh, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  17. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Give the line below a try for temporarily renaming the player vehicle in realtime. Use it from the GE - Lua command line.
    Code:
    local name = "yourname"; core_vehicles.setPlateText(name,be:getPlayerVehicle(0):getID())
    I'm glad to hear that the mod's been useful. I've actually tested the mod in v0.18.4.0 and it seems fine to me. I guess our first couple of troubleshooting steps should be the normal ones: 1. clear cache 2. Disable all other mods

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice