General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Nope, Philippines.

2. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to diagnose engine problems, and even if I did, if it turned out to be something I'd have to tear the engine apart for... I've only got one day off, which is tomorrow. I do have Saturday and Sunday off, but that's rare enough when working in fast food that no amount of gearhead cred will convince me to give that up (sufficiently extortionate labor costs, however, might convince me to give up Sunday).

3. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It really isn't that complicated. With the internet, anyone who knows how to read can work on cars.
    I have a friend, who knows absolutely nothing about cars, fix a bucking problem in his Altima by taking it to Autozone to pull the CEL code, then watching a youtube video on how to address said code.
    Ran great until it shot a rod through the side of the block.

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Was the rod-shooting related to the bucking problem?

5. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

No, the bucking was caused by a misfire, which was caused by a worn out spark plug.
    The car had just over 200k miles on it when the engine gave out, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if it didn't receive timely oil changes throughout its life. It may have burned oil and canibalized itself, I dunno. He only drove it for a couple hundred miles before it blew up

6. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

Anyone here know anything about Suzuki Esteem's? I've taken interest in them, specifically the wagon, in manual and 1.8L engine. They seem to be really cheap, practical, relatively fun and very reliable, quite an ideal first car. They're not very popular it seems (in North American at least) and there isn't too much information about them. I'd also imagine that many parts would be quite difficult to find in North America.

2000_Suzuki_Esteem_Wagon.jpg

7. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

wat2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Is it odd that in some south asian countries, Chevrolet's from the early 90's are very common.

9. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Why is it weird ?

10. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

Had some ice inside my front right wheel today. Really not funny at a speed over 80 kph, tho.

11. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

I recently found out I might get a chance to drive a Baja Bug and learn how to drive a manual so I'd like to know, how important is double clutching and rev matching?

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Not at all important for day to day driving. However Rev matching can make the clutch last longer and allow for faster gear shifts. It is an advanced driving technique, learn how to drive a manual normally before you try other things.

There are some exceptions to this though.

#5032 aljowen, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Make sure you hit vtec and your good bro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

He won't. He'll corner at 5mph after slamming the brakes and hitting a parked car

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  15. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Double clutching isn't really needed in normal driving. However rev matching comes pretty much natural quite soon after you're driven manual for a while. Rev matching makes the ride smoother and doesn't stress the clutch as much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

He'll probably get a speeding ticket from a camera while doing it by the sounds of things :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Good luck driving a manual if you can't handle the absolute basics of driving a car, without having a clutch and gearshift to deal with.

#5037 Potato, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Good to know, I wasn't sure how advanced beetle gearboxes are beetles are pretty basic cars with few luxury features so I wasn't sure if it would have synchronizers but thats more of a drivability thing I gues... but so are automatics
    oh and here I was thinking you needed to do things like use a clutch and shift oh how wrong I was, should I hit the Vtec before or after turning on the electric turbo?
    I can handle the basics of driving just not when it comes to depth perception and knowing the width of the vehicle, luckly I wont need to as much because there will be nothing around but sand and a few motorhomes which will also help with my paranoia.

19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I didn't specify for the vehicle you would be driving. Just that in general in manuals it is not an issue. When it comes to speciality vehicles that are custom made how is anyone here going to know if it has one or not if we don't even know what engine and transmission it has in it?

Your best shot at an accurate answer is to contact whoever owns the vehicle. Perhaps someone might know a general rule for that particular category of vehicle.

20. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Well I'm pretty sure it has a stock engine and transmission and I thought most baja bugs did as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice