General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

The new i3 makes very little sense at its current price really, the i5 7400 is a much more logical buy, even if it lacks overclocking its still well capable at playing games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I would go with the Pentium, but the i5 7500 if you're not making any sacrifices for it.

3. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I'm not really planning to OC. The board I'm buying (MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151) doesn't support OC so I'm not concerned really.

I added the i5-7500 to my build and it comes to $802.96. I'll pay the extra $10 for the 10% performance gain over the 7400.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The Pentium today wouldn't cut it with many games flat refusing to load in dual core setups

5. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Anyone have experience with any UK web hosting companies?
    Currently trying to figure out where to host my personal web site (portfolio site). So I i don't need anything fancy. I already have a domain (although I don't mind having a second) so it's really just very basic hosting I am looking for, don't need any databases etc, traffic will be naff all too.

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Might be worth asking @Rage as I think his website is hosted in the U.K.
    If I recall correctly pentiums have a slightly shallower core.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

His website is awesome. However it would seem he is hosted by digital ocean, which is a little expensive for what I am looking for at around £4 a month.

Planet Hippo seem interesting at £1.20 a month (inc vat), since 1gb of space should be absolutely plenty and I don't need SSL or any other fancy features. I don't even need backups to be honest, since the website will be static and I will have a local copy.

Edit:
    Just been on live chat with them, supposedly 100 megabit per second which sounds pretty reasonable, also no setup fee's and the price doesn't go up after the first year which is nice. Didn't ask if they throttle high traffic websites, however I doubt I will get any more than 10 views on a busy month anyway xD
    So once I have finished building a site they might be a decent no thrills option.

#5488 aljowen, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I just got the second phone call from my mobile service provider this morning. The first call hung up immediately, the second one was a humanized robot voice that said "goodbye" and then hung up.

I think this may be the end for me, the robots are uprising.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Well just reinstalled windows 10, now come back the memories of all the bullshit hacks and regestry edits I had to do last time to get even basic functionality.

This for example...

What an awful awful operating system.

11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I 'reset' Windows 10 on my laptop, and noticed the same thing when doing that.
    Or that you cannot choose a program on your own, if it isn't listed.

Awful seems an exaggeration, it still does its job somewhat decently, but the little things are indeed infuriating.

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That screen is actually working fine in w10 for me...

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Huh, the only problems I've ever had with W10 was when I upgraded on my laptop when it first came out and iCloud broke everything, and when it wasn't detecting an optical drive correctly. Other than that, my experience has been fine.

14. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I never had a Good experience with win10 because i had to reinstall it a couple of Times because it kept bricking

15. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah true, but a lot of this stuff just seems like its there to slow down the installation process, as well as stuff like onedrive that needs forcefully removed if you dont want it. Same goes with the 10 odd bloat ware games and applications that come with the OS out of the box which is just more crap to delete.

I wouldn't have such a problem with it if it I didn't need to reinstall it 5 times since it came out.

Its never worked for me since the first launch, seems like something that is just flat out broken as you can get around it through the control panel. Its an incredibly common issue when I searched it.

16. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Let's be honest now, Windows has been entirely broken since 8.

Shit makes Vista look reliable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Win10 has been perfectly reliable for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Windows 10 is synonymous with reliability [/s]

19. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I must admit I haven't had a problem with 10 yet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. minisnooken

minisnooken
    Expand Collapse

Hi. I haven't been around the forums for a while, so I thought I might as well get people's thoughts on this parts list I've been adding to and improving over the last few months: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sZ6ZGf

It's essentially a super low-end build for people like me... The sort of build you save up for by working at the local coffee shop over the holidays. I tried to keep it very damn cheap without using any unreliable or bad products. 630 AUD, about 400 USD. It should be able to run FH3 fine, as benchmarks suggest, and BeamNG.Drive fairly well apart from on scenarios with many cars (the main problem I have with it on the shite machine of doom (aka the family computer) is not enough RAM)

Anyway. There. Eh. Tear me apart if you want. I don't care.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice