General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Wait for Ryzen's release, they might suit you, and if they don't or are too pricey, chances are that intel will drop theirs to keep their share

• Like Like x 1
  2. minisnooken

minisnooken
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I'm waiting for the release, don't you worry mate. This is just me seeing what I can do for as cheap as possible with today's components :p

BTW nice signature xD

3. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I am waiting too :) Hope they drop the kaby and kylake and mobo prices here a bit :/
    My build costs more then 100 euro's more here than it costs in dollars at pcpartpicker :(
    I am still thinking wether it is worth the money to build a desktop for gaming and increased productivity when im home since I have a nice laptop too.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3MBpFd

4. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I built this in November, and it runs almost every game at max settings 60FPS. It can also stream 4K movies like a beast :)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/PpxYcf
    Side note: I bought most of the parts from Newegg+Microcenter the week of black friday.
    --- Post updated ---
    Add on to previous conversation - I've never had problem with Windows. Well, no problems that were their fault...

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Plenty of fails of the PEBKAC variety?

6. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I use my old laptop as my 'idiot' machine. I do anything and everything I won't do on my main PC.

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Well i guess it is good to see firefox taking more steps towards a multi process based browser. The downside being that the features that made firefox unique are all getting thrown out in order to make it happen. Extensions are now much more limited in scope like they are in chrome and post presto opera, to the point where they can be ported almost directly to firefox with little change (which is an upside for simple extensions). Extension developers are calling it quits as it is no longer possible to implement their extensions within the browser. :/

Looks like I am going to have to change my workflow again and not because there is one that suits me better.

On my desktop in firefox i always have over 100 tabs "open", this is major part thanks to tab grouping. It means if i am looking for a job i have a group of tabs for that purpose, if i am doing uni work i have a group for that purpose, same for entertainment. These tabs are always there for me to switch between without getting a tab bar that is unusable.

Hopefully someone makes a viable alternative to the current tab grouping system, because no other major browser could match its functionality even with extensions. But that's not looking likely with the new chrome like add ons system. Not to say the new system is entirely bad, because there are lots of cool features in terms of security by design etc. But its absolutely tanking the browsers functionality.

8. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

My school must spend a hell of a lot of money on networking...
    speed.png
    also, us students get 100gb each on storage. It's totally overkill, but at least I can use their internet to really quickly upload stuff to the cloud...

9. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

10. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I don't get why they need such fast internet, the most you do in school is download a pdf lol.

100GB is really good though, in college we had a limit on our user accounts of 100MB so it was essentially useless, at least as a media student. I am partly to blame as the first year I was there I had 13gb saved onto it and the IT guy wasn't happy. He happened to mention that the storage server had just been "upgraded to 3TB" as well so its hardly too impressive.

11. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

When we moved into our new facility (we really needed it, bearing in mind the old one was a temporary one built after WW2, it wasn't meant to be there for that long and was practically falling down) we got all new computers, whiteboards, projectors and probably miles of ethernet cable inside the building, so I guess they needed fast network to power all of those. In every room there is a PoE router for the teachers' laptops and the student laptops (student laptops are ThinkPad T430s, and teachers' are some Toshiba model)
    I mean they were dealing with 10+ million pounds for a new building here, they're gonna spend it right. Everything seems to be balanced, though. It doesn't feel like they blew a lot of budget on one area.

Apparently they partnered with HP Enterprise.

https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/HP+Compaq+8200+Elite+Desktop+PC/P117193P
    Those PCs, except with 8GB ram and 128gb(?) SSDs, as most storage is handled by the server or something.
    It doesn't matter about not having our files when the internet is down, as we cannot log in anyway :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

my computer is a dell

• Like Like x 1
  13. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I get Office 365 (newest MS Office + 1tb onedrive) for free from my school :p
    Plus a TON of discounts and free stuff with my ID.

There's also a 2tb server that's about 97% full of crap.

14. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Even if I did, we would only get Office 2010.
    I have tried it, but it doesn't work.

My mum gets it for free for 5 users (as in adding extra Microsoft accounts) anyway.

15. minisnooken

minisnooken
    Expand Collapse

I forgot what my school's internet speed is, other than the fact it is insane for South Australia... I'll report back when the school year starts.

16. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

In my school there is possibility to get Office 365 for time when you are learning in school(it will stop working after finishing or quitting school) and Windows 10 education(as an upgrade, only if you previously had some legit windows version on computer)

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I am really liking the camera on it. Recently I decided to try out the RAW capabilities and the flexibility it gives you after the shot is pretty impressive although it must be said that I am very very new to colour correction so am not very skilled at it. As such things can often go a little bit nuclear in terms of colour. Then again, even just taking pictures normally the camera can achieve pretty good stuff. I am sure with time I will get better at it...
    IMG_20170124_163307.jpg Sunset.png
    Left: OG JPG with camera's processing, Right: edited RAW
    Or you can be a total tool about it xD
    Sunsetish.png

EDIT:
    Hummm, thats interesting how the edited one looks really washed out on a white background whereas on a dark background it looks better. Going to have to tweak with that a bit :D

#5517 aljowen, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  18. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I like the camera too, but Andriod 7 not very much, you need to put the slide on silent and change your settings to get a vibrition when you have notification instead of the old system. and if i open beam on chrome and lock my phone with it in the foreground, it will crash an drain the battery :/
    Battery life is still the same here.
    It is a good phone :)
    And your pics remind me of these:
    2014-07-27205409.jpg 2014-08-03222058.jpg 2014-08-04210851.jpg
    I took them in 2014 when we were on holiday in Friedrigskoog, Germany
    Taken with a HTC one M7, still have it laying around. Possible the best phone for its time, good build quality, battery and specs. The camera doesn't have a lot of MP, but you can take some impressive shots

19. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Android 7.0 should be coming soon for my phone, as said in the signature it is a Moto Z Play, apparently it's coming out in some areas of Europe right now and it's already out on the normal Z right now.

Yes, I could've got an OP3 for about the same amount of money, but sadly John Lewis don't stock it. I bought it from an actual shop this time because my previous Motorola was really messed up. None of the sensors worked and the headphone jack wasn't working, so I had to send it back (as it was an online purchase it was a pain in the arse) and then bought it from JL with the 2 year guarantee.

The camera on the beat the socks off a OP3 in focus speed test because it has laser AF.

#5519 Deleted member 1747, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  20. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

"Why don't you like windows 10???"

Ugh.

Two day old install too.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice