Has Toyota Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by B727ClassicFlyer, Jan 6, 2017.

1. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I think Toyota may have crossed a line with its Concept-i. The Concept-i is an AI-assisted concept vehicle that uses machine learning to apparently "build a relationship that is meaningful and human." The AI in the Concept-i is designed to leverage multiple technologies to measure emotion, mapped against where and when the driver travels around the world. This combination gives the Concept-i an exceptional ability to use mobility to improve quality of life.

The AI is also what gives the Concept-i the ability to wink. Yep, you read this right. The Concept-i can wink at you. This is as weird as you can possibly make it.
    akm5qtejlel6pmijhhla.gif

Asides from the ability to wink at you, the Concept-i has animated sparkles on the rear, which makes it doubly weird.

So, the ultimate question is, has Toyota gone too far with its Concept-i?

SOURCES:
    http://sploid.gizmodo.com/would-you-1790779050?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Sploid_facebook
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5865&sf49408674=1

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Meh, still not as weird as a Polish Pole Polishing to the rear end of a Barstow;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Ahh! Look at that thing! Why does it need to wink at you? But here is the question, if I get in, would the car say "Welcome back [name of the owner]."?

4. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

All it needs is fur and a perverted smile.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Why are you even trying to pull that card?

6. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Just for fun. I'm into weird shit too buddy don't you worry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I personally think this is far more relatable than whatever toyota made there...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

What if it turned sinister and tried to kill you :rolleyes:

9. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

• Like Like x 1
  10. axistookmyname

axistookmyname
    Expand Collapse

I mean concepts are partially here to test what's possible. You can never go too far.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes, just what I've always wanted, a car I can be in a relationship with that monitors way too much about me...
    I mean thats actually some thing cute and its on an already cute car. What toyota made is a creepy feature on an already creepy car that looks like and has FEATURES like its from some Dystopian sci-fi world in which humans are under constant monitoring in every way imaginable... and that is not the kind of thing a concept car should be...

12. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

In my words, concepts are nothing like rl.

For example: Here is a concept of a 2005 Ford F-150 Lightning edition. th.jpg

But here is the actual truck: thDF79W2GN.jpg

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

There is no such truck as an 05 Lightning it was a concept only, and the other picture you showed is of a 97-04 bodystyle truck.

1997 happened before 2005.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

thats something that actually went into production though a better example of a crazy concept car that could never make it into production would be for example the Ford Nucleon a car that was never going to be more that a rolling chassis because the "planned" power plant literally couldn't work and it was so obvious that it wouldn't that I wouldn't be surprised if ford had absolutely nobody who knew anything about nuclear physics working on it and just a team of designers.

15. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Do any of you even know what the definition, "Concept" means at all? The reason why Concept cars look this outrageous and have "gone too far" is because they need to catch the public's attention. If they just showcase a regular car, nobody's going to pay attention to it.Like, what would the average person would notice more, a bland, regular car, or something with flashing lights, a bright paint-job, or an exotic design you regularly don't see everyday. Some concept cars, may or may not change when it comes to production, but car manufacturers focus on New Styling, or New Technology. Other times they just do it for "fun" and to show off what they could develop.

Sometimes, some concept cars don't even see production at all, and exists just to showcase new technology that will be used in current or future production models from that manufacturer. Then some of you ask, "Then why do I sometimes see current normal models on display as well in car shows?" I don't work for any of those companies, so that's their decision on what they want to showcase, either most times it's a face-lifted model, or it's a "test-bed" for new technology, like new engines, drive-trains. Take this BMW:

It looks like just a regular 1 series coupe with some fancy wheels, and decals, but it was used as one of the few test beds for the new hybrid/electric drive-trains for the upcoming BMW i8 and i3.
    Even the i8 itself differed slightly from it's original concept model.

That being said, this isn't really much of the case for ALL concept cars, but the main factor is, Technology, and Design or Styling. Again, why would they design something that you personally think looks stupid and ugly? But did it catch your attention? That's what the whole point is. Why are they doing it like this? Because, They Can. If they have the ability to create such an outrageous, technologically advanced concept car that isn't anything like you'd find on the roads today, that shows how competent of a manufacturer they are, and shows how successful they can be in the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

The design itself I think looks fine for a concept car, its the "features" its allegedly going to have that really turn me off of the idea, and honestly would make me paranoid about getting any new Toyota and make me worry more about the future of the automotive industry, and that is the opposite of what a concept car is meant to do. crazy but slightly ugly designs will certainly draw attention features like they claim it will have draws the wrong kind of attention.

17. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

You obviously did not understand what I just said at all.

18. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Nismo.

Let me simplify it for you. A concept model is a vehicle designed as a vision, thought, or anything mentally developed and produced only for the sole purpose of showcasing exactly what the company can produce. Production vehicles on the other hand, are your average vehicles, generally mass-produced to some extent.

EXAMPLE:

Ford Atlas (F-150 Concept)

Ford F-150 (Production Model)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

I understand its designed as a vision developed for the sole purpose of showcasing but part of what it is show casing is something that I and many others would be completely against and the thought that they might be able to produce something with that is what makes it worrying.

20. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

I seem to be one of the few car enthusiasts not to be bothered by new technology. I like Teslas and the Prius (I even like how the new one looks. People complain about cars all looking the same, then as soon as one breaks the mold even slightly, they call it weird and ugly /bracketrant) and have no problem with blind spot monitors and adaptive cruise control and whatnot. Is this particular concept for me? No, I think it's stupid, but no one's making me buy one. All this new stuff is optional, and just makes the bad drivers around you less likely to crash into you. The '95 MX-5 with no ABS and a 5-speed isn't going to vanish from your garage any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice