How much does an average tune up cost?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Michael, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael
    Expand Collapse

So I need to get a tune up on my car. What would be the cost on my car? And will they tell me if anything is wrong engine wise?

Car:

1998 Sunfire
    2.2L 4 Cylinder Engine
    5 Speed Manual Transmission
    126366 Miles

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well because there is no such thing as an average tune-up and prices between different mechanics fluctuate so much (one I have driven past advertises brake tests for £40, the one I use does it free) I don't think we can really give even a rough guess at a price.

Your best bet might be to find a forum for your car and see what others have done.

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

prices are different between mechanic's, and based on how much work it takes, depending on state of motor and so on

4. BlackVenom

BlackVenom
    Expand Collapse

There isn't an average tune up. A tune up is a blanket phrase for having the not-so-annual things fixed/replaced (spark plugs, wires, belts, chains, (this is getting sexy), alignment, intake filter, cabin filter, etc)... Your tune-up could be spark plugs and an alignment for $100. Or it could be $1000 for the like new feel.

What do you want to get a tuneup for? When was the last? Any problems with your car? Answer these and we can let you know what things may need done. Else go to a few shops and get some quotes (and lists of what will be done).

If you've never gotten anything but oil changed, then you'll want to consider doing as much as possible at 125k+.

5. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

What do you want done, new plugs, throttle body clean, inspection? The price will depend on how much you want done. Be sure to shop around for the best price. Unfortunately there are a lot of crooks out there.
    I work as a mechanic for a small repair company, so if you can get the work done by an independent shop with a good reputation it is always nice. Plus small shops are usually more competitive on pricing. :)

6. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

I get a kick out of people who ask people on a video game forum for technical car advice. Your local mechanic will have much better answers than anyone here.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

But what if I was an actual mechanic, I still wouldn't be able to give technical car advice?

8. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Good point, I kind of agree. However, being that this is essentially a car game, and most people here are probable automotive enthusiast, and some of them have at least a bit of knowledge about cars and working on cars. Maybe even some people like myself who make a living by working on cars. There are also a lot of people on this forum that own cars, and with car ownership comes tune-ups, repairs, ect so people who own cars usually have a rough idea of the cost. A mechanic should defiantly be your main source of information, but it never hurts to get a little information from a game forum. :D

#8 Autofan, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

If you smear honey on your tires it makes them extra sticky, which we know that sticky tires make a car take corners better.

10. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

what are you getting fixed? I don't know how much it's going to cost at all for your car...

I assume you mean a tune up as like an oil change and new plugs or something? If you did that yourself it shouldn't touch $100.

I'm putting a new clutch in my car and it's only gonna cost me $160 in parts. I'm gonna rip into it myself, but if I wanted someone else to do it I would probably pay more in labor than parts. Depends on what you're doing a lot man.

11. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

if you do it YOUR SELF its pretty cheap. I just did a tune up on my old 300, 12$ for all 6 spark plugs, 20$ for a new set of wires, rebuilt the carb and cleaned it (20$ carb kit and a 5$ can of cleaner). just depends on what you know how to do. shops like to charge a few hundred for a tune up, but a lot of that is labor and some of its greed, but hey you came to them. you can do a basic tune up your self for 40$-100$ bucks on most cars.

a tune up would be a all around "freshening up" of the vehicles engine. new plugs and possibly new plug wires, new fuel filter(s), change the oil and filter, new air filter, clean the carb/throttle body. basic stuff, just gets you back some lost power and milage.

12. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

How can you be of use, giving a visual inspection of what he potentially needs done for a tune up, when you can't even see the car in front of you? Besides, like I said this is a video game forum. What do you think the average age of people here would be? ;)

All you can do is talk in theory, most times isn't helpful and just confuses people. If you want to do research, get on google and search.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice