MULTIPLAYER??!

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Stian Aarskaug, May 23, 2015.

1. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what horseshit the default search bar is attempting to find. But it doesn't find anything useful, it deserves the title of the worst search bar in history... when I was new to the forums I was always having trouble finding what I'd needed/wanted when trying to see if a topic already had a previous dedicated thread or something.

It should do titles or not have the basic search bar at all.

I could never find what I was looking for prior to starting new threads causing me to get ridiculed time and time again for not being able to use the search function, not to mention advanced search is hard to use for members that aren't used to running adv search functions on forums.

Please somebody fix this, it causes frustration when trying to find users threads, specific old threads, or a thread based around a specified topic.

#21 KennyWah, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

^Correct, This is shared by the majority of users here, currently this has been the issue:

You search for something like coltris in the search bar and you get this:

WTF :confused:
    coltris search beamng.PNG

because the site searches and lists every possible post where coltris has been typed, literally thousands of lines of post would have to be manually searched by the user to find the word coltris, and even then it would have to be further searched to see if it answers the problem in question or is just a fleeting mention... for example take the first result "General Questions" this thread has 21,156 post (at time of writing) so the user would have to search through 21,156 post to find the word coltris.. highly unlikely and a basically useless function.

In order to get proper and more useful results the advanced search function has been used in this example:

search entire post is default :mad:
    default serach.PNG

Search title only please
    search titles only.PNG

proper search results
    searches found.PNG

the above example shows the proper results, this should be the default state of the search function, most if not all users expect this kind of search result thanks to the likes of google, yahoo search, altavista, etc. why? because multi-billion dollar companies often do what makes fiscal sense.. a search function that acts like a search function.

In fact Google search is about 92% more efficient at finding the correct things on BeamNG website then the BeamNG website currently is:
    coltris search goolge.PNG

Notice that the first results mirrors the BeamNG title search, even google has opted for a title search over a post word search because its almost always more effective, try convincing the google execs to opt for a beamng style search and they'll offer you a nice cup of coffee as they usher you out the door. Also notice that google search has brought up outside references to coltris that are also useful, at this point google search is way more efficient then the onsite Beamng search at default settings

The only reason we have multiple post about the same topic is because the search function is dreadful, When i want to find a topic on beamng i often use google search with beamng in the search title and i think many other users do as well. For those who say "just use the search function its not rocket science" you find that few people agree with that. We want a smarter default search, the beamng cars are often updated to suit the needs of the user ( toggle vs non-toggle parking brake for one example) why not this?

I do like the feature where it searches as you type your title.
    new search function.PNG

and notice that it is doing a title search by default..

#22 ThreeDTech21, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  3. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Just type in "The"

GG

Edit:

Lol... I searched up "Penis" and somehow 43 threads on the site contain that word.. WhAt ThE aCtUaL ****, Holy ****.. Man I really am bored.

4. The_Tekkit_101

The_Tekkit_101
    Expand Collapse

Not to be mean, but I don't think they'll ever add in multiplayer because to have multiplayer on a game as realistic as this, there would be a catastrophe of lag.
    If there was ever multiplayer in this game, it would probably allow up to 2-3 people. Also, MODS.
    If someone has a modded car that other people don't have, chances are the game will not let you to enter the server.

5. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

What is wrong with small party MP? 2-3 people would be a blast for RP.

6. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

I guess with a small party you have less chances of having squeaker invasions.

7. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

No this is not a multiplayer thread' this is a search engine thread! Read the OP!

8. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Oh I know, I just had to make a point.

Why would it be such a big deal if beam had Mp that only supported like 2-4players max?

"Party Mode" would be better than the stranded wasteland we have right now right?

Sure AI is slowly living up the game.

BTW mods worked fine in ROR this is a much more sophisticated engine I am sure they could work around that if/[when] the time comes.

[ROR just made mods not show up if a specific player didn't have it but it would say what they spawned.. also they could just disable collision so a player without the mod doesn't get bashed by invisible jbeam] Just my 2cents on the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

That is why you'd play with friends and it could just run on a setup that just either is modular like ROR however buggy that was with mods, or the server could somehow download the mods to players or list them.

Agian why wouldn't you just play with friends...

9. Rubiespeed03

Rubiespeed03
    Expand Collapse

Well, multplayer in beamng can be like minecraft multiplayer, the mods disapear when you are online and come back when you are offline

10. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

i agree, 2-4 player multiplayer would work. I keep hearing that multiplayer is so hard to code for... But why? See all the games on steam multiplayer? If it was too hard to code why are there 1000s of multiplayer games that work well?

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Because they dont have so many data points to synchronise which has been explained umpteen billion times now.

12. AMG V12

AMG V12
    Expand Collapse

The coding isn't the problem, it's the amount of data that would need to be sent. This would cause inherent latency issues hence the reason for no MP.

Of course ninjad by 6677 :p

13. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Ping is not affected by data transfer size; the amount of time a packet needs to do a round trip is not affected by how many other packets are travelling with it. It's only slowed down when the network is stressed and at bandwidth limit.

The issue with multiplayer is being able to send that amount of data within most user's bandwidth and synchronize everything. But it's certainly possible, just not in the conventional way that everyone insists it needs to be done.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: We don't need to send every node and beam at 2000hz. Every other multiplayer game sends basic positional coordinates (x, y, z on the world map) plus other data on what the player is doing, driving, etc. This would work in BeamNG; in the level editor you can see each vehicle has a simplified coordinate just like static objects do, which can be sent online to a server, where it shows where the player is. Voila, multiplayer.

Obviously that is the abridged version, it's not perfect and I'm by no means an expert, but I know enough to say it should work. Inter-vehicular collisions, on the other hand, would probably not work, although that doesn't upset me.

14. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG should start small, forget traditional inter-vehicle collisions, just pure tire physics but make it so that cars can collide (no deformation of course), that would be a start.

15. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

How does one make soft body vehicles collide without exerting forces that would deform it.

Also what does tire physics have to do with this?

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't this mean that the rest of the work could be done client side [cutting collision out of the picture]

16. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Precisely what I am proposing. No need for powerful servers to do server-side physics.

Although I don't really care whether collision works or not.

17. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

1/3 of BeamNG is the mods... without them the game wouldn't be as fun... sure you could have public servers that disable them but there would have to be some way to use them in private setups.

Many games have worked around this confusing topic of mods online between peers... there has to be a method for it here.

- - - Updated - - -

at least not for alpha to beta anyway... maybe one day collision could exist... maybe

18. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Tire phycis is the way the car grips the road and handles, this is what MP would need. Also deformation collision could be turned off by a Dev, but the cars would still hit each other, think of a bat hitting a baseball, the bat and ball will not have large or practically any dents at all but they still collide with each other. The abscence of deformation collision would make MP less computationlly demanidng while still retaining realistic vehicle handling. MP would then be awesome!

19. DerpSheep

DerpSheep
    Expand Collapse

Or just have client-side collisions and send positional data, like proposed many times before.

20. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

AmberPixel21 has a message to you:
    You sir, deserve a cookie! It's indeed not about multiplayer at all.

Just to reply to you The_Tekkit_101, they've said there is a probability we'll see multiplayer in the future, just not now.

Also, if there's a mod you don't have, then you could be prompted to download it.

Some of my best LAN memories is with Flatout 2 in party MP.

I also think the question is how, not if.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice