Solved problems with downforce

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Blijo, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I have a problem again...
    How do I increase downforce?
    I tried to do the same as the FR16 with a variable dragcf, but it doesn't work. It looks like it makes it worse while the wing has a high angle.
    screen.png
    Can someone help me with it?
    code below:

Attached Files:

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The "$drgr" variable is the one that controls the downforce on this particular vehicle (for the rear spoiler). Make that number bigger inside the parts config file for a vehicle and you will get more downforce. If you need to you can change the upper limit of the range (within the jbeam) in order to allow for higher maximum values. Whatever the variable is set to inside a cars parts config file will override whatever you set in the jbeam file.

Alternatively you can modify the jbeam to add more angle to the wing (by adjusting the node positions).

I have found that when it comes to downforce there seems to be a point where it doesn't help. With the car that I am working on I tried making a big ass wing to see if I could create a really high downforce body kit for it. But in the end I found that while I was getting more downforce from the surfaces (there is an option in the debug menu to visualise downforce) the cars handling actually got worse (more unstable/twitchy and less g's round corners). So presumably the tyres and chassis could not cope with the extra force.

3. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I know how to increase it though :p
    I have already tried a lot of things, but it doesnt seem to help.
    --- Post updated ---
    here are some screens, I think i'm going to try with no triangles on the tailgate since that looks like it creates lift

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00307.png
    • screenshot_00308.png
    • screenshot_00309.png
    • screenshot_00310.png
    • screenshot_00311.png
    • screenshot_00312.png
    • screenshot_00313.png
  4. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I have fixed it!, I changed the whole underbody and rear, mesh and jbeam, now it is almost complete, only fix the roof generating lift and we are good to go!
    The normal body of the covet generates a high lift due to it's shape, that was the issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

You need to use lift coef not drag coef. If you look at the actual wings in the game, they use liftcoef and the bodies and parts of the cars use drag coef. As you both should know, drag acts in the the horizontal direction and lift acts in the vertical direction.
    This was the solution I used with the FR16 I simply added liftcoef to the triangles that air would act upon.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I could be wrong here but by looking at the debug graphics it would seem drag coefficient applies a force to the normal of the plane it is applied to. Not simply in the horizontal direction.
    Equally from testing I am sure that it does effect downforce for the reason listed above. Since from memory I was able to make enough downforce to lower the suspension while driving at speed.

However I have no idea how lift coefficient works (or that it existed) so it may be a good solution to the issue. Especially if it was designed for implementing wings.

7. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

it does work indeed, this drag is a vector, determined by the vector of the speed of the car and the angle of the triangle, while the downforce only works as a normal on the triangle if my testing was done right.
    I did implement the liftcf, and it works good, but the front looks more effective bow

#7 Blijo, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Looking at the SBR4 it seems to make use of liftcoef on its big wing and splitter. Most vehicles don't seem to make use of it.

So maybe for race car style wings use it and for normal road vehicles don't use it?

The wiki doesn't seem to say much on the matter either, best I could find http://wiki.beamng.com/Collision_Triangles#dragCoef

#8 aljowen, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

the bigwing on the covet uses it too.

10. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Im fairly sure all mounted rear wings use lift coef. Look the coupe spoiler jbeam file. Im fairly sure even the small lip wing and the other factory one use liftco even if the value is only about 70 or 80.
    Yes I understand that dragcp can be used but it effects te vehicles in ways in which the produced downforce does not. For realism and ease, its best if you just use liftco, there is a reason why that parameter was created.

11. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

the downforce part is ready now, but I want to have the rear spoiler 'follow' the nodes when I change them. I have made a variable node height to adjust the downforce, but now the spoiler stays in the same position. How do I change this that the spoiler moves with the adjustments?

Attached Files:

12. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

For adjustable downforce, the only realistic way to do it is to make the beams that support the wing adjustable using beamprecompression. By doing this it will also ensure that the effective area of the wing stays the same and produces the same amount of downforce and also ensures that the jbeam matches the dimensions of the mesh. Have a look at the rear wing on the covet and you should get a good idea of how it works and how to set it up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice