Released Rally Forest (Now with winter version!) 1.5.1

Medium size map with dirt and paved roads in a dense, detailed forest

1. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

Rally Forest

screenshot_00000.jpg screenshot_00001.jpg screenshot_00002.jpg screenshot_00003.jpg screenshot_00009.jpg
    screenshot_00004.jpg screenshot_00006.jpg screenshot_00007.jpg screenshot_00008.jpg screenshot_00005.jpg
    Awesome trailer by Calais!

New Winter Version
    screenshot_00004.png screenshot_00003.jpg screenshot_00002.jpg
    screenshot_00001.jpg screenshot_00000.jpg screenshot_00016.jpg
    Map is now standalone thanks to Dummiesman because I was too stupid to see the 2 missing file renames when I tried!​
    Please read the included read-me in the winter version of the map, it tells how to install the map and the custom groundmodel. If you do not install the groundmodel.lua you will have incorrect physics when on the deep snow since it will default to asphalt. Also please back up the file before replacing!
    New Version of map is available on the mods repository
    LINK
    Description
    Here is my third map I teased about in the development screenshots thread a week ago. I worked on this map for 3 weeks straight and it's decently sized, lots of detail, and very fun!

The map has many long winding dirt roads with tight driftable corners. there is a small town in the map with a single downtown street and a few houses.
    Also the map has many lakes, streams, and a large scenic river with covered bridges and a campground next to it.
    The forest is very dense but to keep performance up it uses billboards behind the trees to create an illusion of depth, therefore it wont look right to airplanes.

This map is very fun with rally cars, especially Jalkku's VW Polo which is fast and rides over bumps well, as well as the Hirochi Sunburst Rally, which is very good at drifting!
    There are a few custom assets made by me and a custom terrain texture and a pine needle decal. All the textures are from cgtextures.com

Let me know of any errors and if there is anything new I should add to the map!
    Please do not redistribute or use any thing from my map without my permission
    Please download the updated groundmodel and use that instead of the one in the rally forest snow .zip to have proper settings for the rest of the maps with the beamng early access release update. View attachment groundmodel.zip

Attached Files:

#1 dpitkin, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Re: Rally Forest

YESSS!!! i was waiting for this. its so beautiful. great work dude. :cool:

3. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

im going to try this now looks gr8
    lets see how good the 20bx stage 2 turbo really is

4. Tibi Seres

Tibi Seres
    Expand Collapse

Hi dptikin!

I would like to ask you how could you make these amazing background sounds?

Thanks for reply.

5. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

I got the sounds from a sound effect site, then I edited them in audacity to make them loop and exported as mono .ogg to make them useable as 3d sound objects, stereo can only be used for non 3d sound that applies to whole level

6. jake44

jake44
    Expand Collapse

bit like dirt rally lol NICE work:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

needs fps improvement but thats about it

8. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

should have seen it before optimizing! :p without reflections I get around 40 fps with GTX 670, I find it to be similar to East Coast Usa. reflections slow down a lot because it redraws everything reflected essentially doubling draw calls.

9. Tibi Seres

Tibi Seres
    Expand Collapse

dpitkin

Please tell me!

what the sound effects site:confused:

10. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

Do you accept donations?

11. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

www.freesound.org literally the first site after googling sound effects :p

- - - Updated - - -

I would gladly accept steam gifts! ;) my username is the same, just let me know your from beamng.

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

You have an admirable workflow Dpitkin....the billboard theory is very intriguing too!

13. Tibi Seres

Tibi Seres
    Expand Collapse

Thanks the reply very. :eek:

And the map is VERY AMAZING!!!!!!!

14. xerodephex

xerodephex
    Expand Collapse

Much or just blank?

• Like Like x 1
  15. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

Beautiful and challenging map man! Really fun trying to get fast through the tight corners and misserably fail at it ^^ I get the same amount of fps as the official tracks btw.
    Thanks for the release!

16. Combustibob

Combustibob
    Expand Collapse

This is a REALLY pretty map, there were moments where I had to just stop and look at the scenery. My favorite spot is the covered bridge over the waterfall, so nice. Honestly I think it runs great, with a 2500k and 7870 with pretty high settings it ran smooth with no noticeable areas of slowdown, didn't check FPS but I'd guess between 40-50. I did get some artifacting, but that's because my card was about 92C -_- but this just seems to be a reoccurring trend with this card lately. Roads are great fun to drive on and explore, by no means easy but fun to master; They have a good width and very natural feel to them. The Lancer Evo feels at home here.
    Reminds me a ton of the many acres of logging land I use to ride ATVs on years ago, with the dense areas of forest and really serene grassy clearings with the many streams and small bodies of water scattered throughout. I enjoyed the small town and the long paved road that cuts sharply into the trails at a roadblock, along with the campground area and cabin by the lake. These little touches give it a very realistic feeling.
    I can tell you put a lot of effort into the map, and it really shows, great job! Definitely a new favorite map.

17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Frame rate on this map is fine for me. My 870M isn't going to cut it in 6 months though.

I think this is the most properly done waterfall I have seen yet::cool:

screenshot_00007.jpg

I'm getting a crash to desktop returning to game after changing lighting properties in the editor.

18. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

yeah, i don't know if it's my map or the game, it seems the editor is a lot more unstable in this latest release, sometimes it would crash every time then other times it never did.

19. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree and it's annoyingly hard to pin point a specific case and replicate it. Doesn't affect regular gameplay on Rally Forest at all though.
    Thanks for releasing this, it's beautiful!

20. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Incredible map! Everything comes together so well and creates quite an atmosphere :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice