WIP Beta released Shea's Bluff, a scenario-centric mini-map r44

A scenario-centric mini-map

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

This is a very small map using a high resolution heightmap. It's definitely not the most fun in freeroam. I created it as a canvas on which to implement scenarios. I think it's functional as that much right now. While it is a work in progress and I would like for it to be at least tolerable as a tiny freeroam map when I'm done, the primary purpose of this map will always be to contain scenarios.
    • 5x scenarios, all marked very high difficulty. Feedback on re-rating these properly is welcome.
    • All scenarios are doable as of v0.4.3.2. Some may be harder with a keyboard.
    • Scenario hints are a WIP and feedback is welcome!
    • Freeroam doesn't currently provide access to the start-point of the "Blind Faith" scenario. This is not by design, I intend to wrap a road around to fix this as my time allows. As this is one of the harder scenarios and freeroam practice is helpful, I apologize to those without the skills/knowledge to teleport themselves over there in freeroam.
    screenshot_00170.jpg screenshot_00099b.jpg screenshot_00107b.jpg screenshot_00151b.jpg screenshot_00169b.jpg screenshot_00199b.jpg

Scenarios:
    • Hill Climb Stage 1 - What would normally be a straightforward floor it and go situation is slightly complicated by your factory-spec 4WD pickup.
    • Hill Climb Stage 2 - Breeze through the same section in the Offroad D15 and then move on to a couple of larger challenges.
    • Hill Climb Stage 3 - A misnomer since it's actually a descent!
    • Dragster Climb - In the spirit of my What a drag! scenario pack this has you seriously misusing the Drag configured Moonhawk. It's probably the easiest of the 5.
    • Blind Faith - Another mean-spirited offroad scenario.
    Extra details and what's known to be unfinished:
    • 2048x2048 terrain @ 0.25 squareSize = 512x512 meter play area
    • Purely aesthetic mud on the seafloor using an extra terrain with no collision.
    • Unfinished - Two "no material" decals are present on the paved road as placeholders.
    • Unfinished - Additional work is needed on the paved road. I'm familiar with basic concepts such as camber, turn radius, and appropriate grades. I intend for the finished product on the paved road to be equivalent to a poor access road which has had single-lane asphalt applied on top of it. I feel that I'm already quite close to that mark. Constructive criticism or advice with these things held in mind is still welcome!
    • Unfinished - If it's not entirely obvious, the half of the paved road with asphalt sticking out from under it is newer and currently receiving TLC.
    • Unfinished - As mentioned above, there will be a connection between the area of the map where "Blind Faith" starts and the rest of the map.
    • Unfinished - There is a network of trails extending from the house with the paved driveway over to the concrete road barriers at one end of the paved road. It includes a mud pit with a severely off-camber floor. All of the trails in that network are entirely unfinished, as is the forest in that area.
    • Unfinished - Yes, I know the blue house is back there.
    • Unfinished - Terrain texture work. I intend to attempt to re-do the textures in the same way stock levels are done, with one level-sized diffuse map. After scrutinizing Jungle Rock Island I see that this technique yields a really great result. You have much more control over color, automatically get smooth transitions, and you can add bands of light/dark for various effects. Awesome.

Latest release is either in the repo or somewhere deeper in the thread. r43+

#1 torsion, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Awesome! :)

3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Bump for a 60s demo reel:

4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Good lookin' map!...very windy. Will download when or if I ever get home from work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Am I the only one who thinks about shia lebof's intense motivational speech when I read the maps title?

6. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Yeeeup.

OT: I am getting no texture on what looks like a few decals placed around the map as well
    as the bridge. All cache folders deleted and no corresponding conflicts that I am aware of.

7. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.

Two of them (on the paved road) were simply placeholders. Something much more subtle should have been used before releasing the map. With that in mind I've replaced those 2 with less obvious placeholders.

As for the other 3 decals... I'm not sure how those became damaged, but they aren't working in my copy of r36 either! I've uploaded r37 to fix the issue. It's in the OP.

#7 torsion, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

Really love this map! Scenarios are difficult and lots of fun. It has some wonderfully hard offroading trails.

10. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks JackAttak!

Right now I'm looking to dress up some of the major rough edges on this map in quick-and-dirty ways. For me the most glaring problem with the map has certainly been that it lacks a drive-able route to the start of the Blind Faith scenario. For that reason I've added a concrete ramp to get around that end of the map. It's at the unfinished end of the paved road.

Revision 38 is attached, although somehow I've broken my decals again. I posted a thread about the problem if anyone has thoughts on what I've done wrong.

Attached Files:

11. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

There have been some significant game engine/content tweaks since the last major update to this map. I wanted to make sure that the map was still playable (in v0.5.1.0). While I was at it I recorded video. The video below has a basic demonstration for each scenario. I think that all but Blind Faith* represent my first completion in v0.5.1.0, so they aren't hot times or anything - just enough to get the job done. While the video catches a few reverse-and-try-again manuvers it also glosses over a couple of the tricky areas by slamming through them in one go. At least it shows that everything is doable! :(

* Blind Faith seems to have been really crippled by something in the U-transition at the top of the intial hill climb. I think that the difference is the addition of bump-stops to the D15, reducing and harsh-ifying effective suspension travel. For this reason I posted my second successful run since I messed around in the U-area for ~3min solid on my first completion and nobody wants to watch that.

12. Locofan2003

Locofan2003
    Expand Collapse

is this POSSIBLE on keyboard?

13. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

• In v0.4.x.x the answer was yes for at least the first 3 scenarios. (I don't remember RE: Blind Faith or Dragster Climb)
    • Currently (v0.5.1.0) two scenarios are much more difficult than before: Hill Climb Stage 1 and Blind Faith. I think that those two are probably not possible with a keyboard in v0.5.1.0, but the other 3 should be OK.
    • All of the scenarios are very difficult. Practice the problem areas in Free Roam so that you can CTRL+R nearby!

14. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Temporarily moved mods repository status to "UNSUPPORTED". I need to figure out where things are going with the groundmodel and then update the mod based on that. I'm also planning to add BNSE reset features to make everything more manageable. In the version currently on the repo most scenarios are effectively impossible.

15. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Hillclimb 1 is broken for me. When i spawn, i fall through the road.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok i just made the conclusion the whole map is glitched for me. I fall through anywhere

16. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about that @(GNG) [S.PLH] wearyNATE15 - I totally forgot that r37 would have that problem or I'd have mentioned it in the previous post. I'm not sure that an "Unsupported" mod which doesn't currently function rates a 2/5 rating. ;) IMO it would be best not to do a review at all until the mod is marked Alpha/Beta/Release/etc - those markings indicate that the mod should function.

That said, try the attached r40. While that should allow you to drive around, you will not be able to complete the scenarios. As I mentioned Friday all of the scenarios are currently badly out of tune. They are supposed to be extremely hard, but currently they are nearly impossible due to changes in the groundmodel. I expect the devs to continue to tweak the ground/tire models for one or two releases, so I may not be able to provide working scenarios right away.

Attached Files:

17. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Im sorry, when i made my review, it still showed Alpha WIP or something, sorry. and thank you for the file, Cheers

18. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

That's OK, but it would be nice if you deleted your review for now! You're right about the status: the discussion thread doesn't automatically change when you change the status of a resource. While the resource page was showing Unsupported this discussion thread was still showing some kind of active status. :-(

19. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

So im guessing this is dead?

20. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely not. :) As of v0.6.0 the groundmodel problem (with BeamNG.drive) has been fixed, so r40 should function as-is. I'm currently waiting on some possible improvements to bnse before I make a big effort to implement resettable checkpoints. I think that the improvement which is on the table is an important one and if Scepheo doesn't have time to implement it someone else will probably pitch in. Without that particular functionality I'll need to do a lot more re-work, so it makes some sense for me to wait. In the meantime I've been working on updating / creating other mods: I've updated my wheely monster mod for v0.6+ and I've created a vehicle-to-vehicle coupler mod.

I also started working on a fresh scenario pack with some even more hardcore scenarios..

In the meantime I'm very glad you brought this up because I forgot that while r40 works r37 is still completely broken... and that's what's in the repo! Shame! So I'll go ahead and put up r40 for approval now as a hotfix.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice