Steam Beta Tree for Older Versions

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by exfil, Jan 18, 2017.

1. exfil

exfil
    Expand Collapse

The 0.8 update broke all of my beloved mods, and being Steam, it forces you to update. I wish I could stay on the previous release until a majority of the mods are updated to be compatible. I am currently just taking a hiatus from the game until they get updated. It would be incredibly nice if the developers could leave older versions of the game in the Steam Beta tree similar to how Euro Truck Simulator 2 does it. See below:

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

This is not going to happen.
    The game is developing forward, keeping older version around will just make a mess when people start to ask for help with older versions.
    What you can do is disable Steam updating the game automatically instead.

Also most of the mods that do not work are the ones that are based on official vehicles, and that uses old engine stuff (Which big part was replaced with the proper system in the 0.8 update).

3. exfil

exfil
    Expand Collapse

You don't have to offer support for old versions. Your bug report forum already has a sticky that says "Please only report bugs if you have the latest version of the game". Also, your Beta tree has an option to go all the way back to version 0.4.0.6, but none in between that and 0.8.

This is not possible unless you run Steam in offline mode 100% of the time.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Oh, they changed that? :\

What you can do is duplicate an older version of the game.
    The game doesn't need Steam to run, so you can just go to wherever your game is installed and copy everything and keep that as 'older' copy.

5. exfil

exfil
    Expand Collapse

Steam never had that option as far as I'm aware. They did have an option three years ago called "Do not automatically update this game", but it just updated the game as soon as you tried launching it anyways. I think I might have a PC with 0.7 on it somewhere...

6. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

We did have backup downloads before on the forum.

Since the forum went public they got rid of it.

I do support the idea of having at least one current-ish option for a fall back just for this reason.

(One previous to a major update like 0.8 would be nice).

This is why I always keep a backup of a previous version like nadeox said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice