1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering system breaking with custom differentials

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Teamlyons, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Teamlyons

Teamlyons
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone, Today I created a custom locking differential for the Gavril D-Series, only to discover that when it was installed, it breaks the steering system. ( I believe the part is called the steering rod, not 100% sure ) The issue is resolved when I install the standard 4.10 locking differential, but the 6.40 locking breaks it. The strange part is it only breaks the steering rod's connection to the right front wheel, and it hangs below the axle. As a result the truck can still steer left, but is unable to turn right or reset the wheels to a straight position. In order to create the differential, I copied and pasted the coding for the 4.10 locking differential, and changed the ratio to 6.40. I also changed the locking strength to 30,000 vs. the normal 20,000. Anyone seen this issue before or have any idea how to fix it? The issue only occurs when the truck has a solid front axle and a 4-wheel drive transfer case. upload_2017-1-22_13-37-17.png
    --- Post updated ---
    With further testing I found that disconnecting the front axle will prevent the steering from being damaged. As soon as four wheel drive is re-engaged it breaks the steering though.
    --- Post updated ---
    Alright, I've reduced the differential ratio 5.00 and found that the tie rod no longer breaks instantly. It WILL break after one to two uses though. If anyone has experienced this or has any idea how to fix it please let me know.

2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Did you also change the rear diff ratio? Because if not that creates a huge amount of stress in the powertrain as the two axles try to rotate at different speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Teamlyons

Teamlyons
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Both differential match. The issue occurs with modified transfer case ratios as well. I've made another thread in the bug reports forum with slightly more detail. It seems to be an issue with a node called ST4 detaching or sliding off.

4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

The issue is that the torque multiplication is so high with these ratios, that the sudden forces fed back into the jbeam skeleton from the torque reaction nodes can break things nearby. So essentially even though the powertrain simulation doesnt have things breaking from torque, its possible to destroy the suspension instead.

In this case the torque reaction nodes were moved to the hubs, which the steering also connects to. You could try adding mass to the hub nodes used as torque reaction nodes, that should help (fh4r/l, fh1r/l). Also try decreasing the spring and increasing strength of that st4 slide node (line 1153 or 1252 of pickup_suspension_F_heavy)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Teamlyons

Teamlyons
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. I'll try both of those solutions later today and see if it helps.
    --- Post updated ---
    Alright, The problem has been solved. I changed the node weight on the hubs from 6.0 to 60.0 (Drastic change, yes, but I wanted to be sure) and the issue appears to be gone. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice