1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Thermal Simulation Feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diamondback, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

This is not currently implemented. I am not en expert so I may be wrong but I don't see this as a very hard thing to do. Just cut the engine on a rapid temperature drop and add a few crack textures. I make that sound a lot easier than it probably is...

• Like Like x 1
  2. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

It has been better than 5.4 and 5.3. Great job so far.

3. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

That would unrealistic

Engine block wont crack 99.9% of time.

Atv air cooled and radiator cooled are always dumped in water with no issue..

Or snowmobile in summer when doing show are shot with water to cool them just after.

Or Nos-Methanol-etc powered mudtruck running all days long without any issue.

4. Bison

Bison
    Expand Collapse

Yes, this is true but the first two are air cooled so they would never get hot enough, and I'm not up on my mudtrucks so I don't know on that one. I'm suggesting that after the coolant is drained from the radiator and the block is up around 600-700 degrees F and plunged in to 60-70 F water the block would crack from the stress from the metal pulling together from cooling down. Most engines will never get hot enough if you don't mess with the coolant.

5. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I noticed it and use it. Get a little more time of abuse before motor starts to overheat lol. It isn't that realistic though, seems the thermostat is stuck wide open, cuz the engine doesn't heat up while idling for 15 minutes (Yes, I tried it to see)

6. Destroyer247_52

Destroyer247_52
    Expand Collapse

I've seen that too, and also seen even driving at high RPM's barely increases the speed at which it rises.

7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Idling won't heat up your engine much at all. The thermostat stays closed until it reaches its opening temperature.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

From here on discussion about 0.5.6.0 version of the game

• Like Like x 1
  9. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

.5.6? Did you guys sneak another update past me? You guys need to slow down.

10. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

I think the block would just seize or melt before getting hot enough on the outdoor to crack with water.. I dont know

11. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Correct, but go start your car in 70 to 80 degree F weather, and tell me your temp gauge doesn't creep up after 5 to 10 minutes. I know how thermostats work, that's why I was saying the coolant temp behaves like the thermostat is stuck open.
    Actually have had this happen on vehicles before and then it would take a lot of time to reach normal operating temperature even while driving, but with a proper working thermostat, even in the winter assuming it's not terribly far below freezing, it shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes to come near normal operating temp.

12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Did you notice the temp gauge on the Tacho app only starts around 50C or so? Everything below that will leave it empty.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Oh, no I didn't notice. Never bothered to check.

On a different note, tried out the new update, added a few Chase AI with derby setups that I made... They are aggressive! Haha, now if only they would back up when they pin me against a wall.

On topic, the radiators are very strong now... Maybe a little too strong, but I like that they don't break from backing into someone lol (yes I've done that in the game)

I blew my radiator, then I let the car sit and cool for a while, and when I started driving it again, I kept getting a message saying that the engine was starved of oil until it finally locked up on me... I'm wondering if the invisible oil filter was on the front of the block and it got smashed? Is this something that is simulated?

Sorry if this is off topic. I know it said the discussion was for 5.6.0 only... Are we still talking Thermal simulation in the new update only?

If not... The cars are pretty fun to drive as they are right now. Had a good time wrecking the bots in the "stiffened" Barstow. That car would be pretty tough in an A-arms forward show with a decent bumper on it. Cars don't seem to get stuck in tires as much anymore which is a huge plus!

14. roy Lueftner

roy Lueftner
    Expand Collapse

I think coolant is cooling down way too fast!
    If it hits a temp of 100°C, radiator fan turns on for like 1 second and coolant temp already is down to 95°C again.
    Same if you back up you car on a steep hill (or brakes engaged) and stop when your temperature reaches close to 100. If you then roll forwards at 5km/h it will be back to 90 after a few meters.

Overheating an old car with a heavy trailer attached is pretty much impossible, even if going up a mountain in first gear and the car really struggling with its load.

15. Kiruke

Kiruke
    Expand Collapse

Since this topic is about thermal, how does turbocharger overheating work?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

It's a very simple take on thermal turbo damage, which basically mixes together exhaust gas, coolant and oil temperatures.
    If the final mixed value goes over a threshold it starts to increase the internal turbo friction (much like the engine thermals increase the internal engine friction when the oil is too hot)

At some point the exhaust gases won't be able to rotate the turbo anymore against the internal friction which in turn essentially drops down the turbo rpm until it stops completely.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kiruke

Kiruke
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much... I love this new feature. It makes the game even more realistic.

18. bowdlerize

bowdlerize
    Expand Collapse

I'm loving the new brake thermals, I'm guessing this is already planned but disc / drum glow would be a nice addition and perhaps even the brakes catching fire / overheating the tires in extreme cases.

• Like Like x 1
  19. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

No, the "starving of oil" occurs when oil is forced upwards out of the oil pan and into the cylinder walls, effectively internally hydrolocking your engine, it's something that occurs if the car's been upside-down with the engine still running.

In other words, it is simulated.

20. VWlove38

VWlove38
    Expand Collapse

And how exactly can i make it happen in the game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice