Think i just fried my graphics card...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by rsb0204, Nov 30, 2013.

1. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

was playing beamng yesterday same 25 fps as always, decided it was time to go to SB so I put the computer in sleep mode. this morning things went bad, computer had a fatal error of some sort last night that caused it to shut down, turn it on and got some error message about the graphics card (witch I didn't read, like an idiot) and when I tried to play beamng I was getting LESS than 1fps, literally. I get about a frame every 2-3 seconds at best. well that's about it... think its toast?

Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor (1.9 GHz)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7640G with (3053 MB)
    RAM: 6 GB

2. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

restart your pc, get the error message, i'd imagine it would show up again

3. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

ok restarted it and it says this:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphics
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not
    functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for
    your AMD hardware.

-OK-

Pretty self expanitory i guess. Ill try installing the latest drivers.

4. argilla11

argilla11
    Expand Collapse

Your graphics card runs everything visual on your PC, if it stops working you should notice differences during normal use outside of beamNG, but I don't see you mentioning anything about that. I would shut off your PC for a few minutes and let it cool off and give it another try.

5. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

It could be getting way too hot... You've tried turning it off and on right?

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

All GPU's on the market right now support a basic VESA driver which is more or less the same for each card. If the operating system supports VESA (namely all the major ones) then it can output non hardware accelerated graphics. As a result, you often wont notice any difference outside of BeamNG when using a card without an actual driver installed as the only things that tend to depend on it are DirectX or OpenGL software which is mainly used within games.
    Also he may have an integrated graphics chipset which the OS can fallback on and BeamNG may simply be assigned to the wrong one (it isnt so good at auto detecting which GPU to use when there are multiple).

OP:
    In future. If you have a graphics problem usually the first thing to check is updated drivers. Although a driver update coming out of course cannot suddenly break your old one, updating will force a driver reinstall which may fix any issues there might have been before.

7. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

curser was real jumpy and when I ran ATI tool to test it I was only getting 6fps, tried letting it cool down, didn't work. tried installing new drivers, didn't work. so finaly I just said screw it and tried disabling the driver signature verification. that fixed it. all is good now. thanks for your replies tho.

8. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Kind of OT but does your laptop run this game well with only 1.9ghz clock speed?

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Core i3 @1.8ghz in my laptop fares okayish. But thats intel not AMD, even with the lower clock I still probably have the CPU edge, but I also only have the HD4000 GPU. We're talking playable framerates on lower settings.

beamNG has decided that there is an update even though I dont think there is so I cant get actual numbers.

10. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

surprisingly it doesn't run to bad, only 25 FPS but its smooth and constant, no lag spikes or anything with 2 cars. of course my settings arn't all the way up, got em pretty high tho.

and remember this is a cheap 400$ laptop were talking about, laptops and gaming tend to be natural enemies. so all things considered, im impressed.

11. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

ATM I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go intel. The cheapest intel haswell based pc I can muster right now is still going to cost me like 400 bucks when an amd a6 pc would cost me 250, less upgradability though.

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, whats your max budget atm

13. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Well you don't ACTUALLY have a graphics card.. You have an APU, meaning it is built straight into your CPU.

It's unlikely you fried it, probably just the drivers missing or become corrupt, it has happened to me before on my 7970. Installing the latest Catalyst beta fixed the problem.

Another thing to note, your graphics performance is based literally on your RAM speeds, seeing as it's an APU and it shares the RAM memory, so check your RAM speeds. :eek:

EDIT: Just noticed it's a laptop, my point still stands. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice