Released Uhlenköper ring 1.0

Modeled after the Uhlenköper ring, a dirt track in Germany.

1. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Hello all

This is my first terrain for BeamNG. It had all started as a terrain for RoR, about 2 years ago, and has found a second life recently with BeamNG. It is modeled after the Uhlenköper ring, which is a dirt track in Germany, hosting stock car and buggy competitions, amongst others. Learn more by going there: http://www.uhlenkoeper-ring.de - should be fun destroying cars in multiplayer when it comes!

Big credits and thanks to Lifter, who has gathered all the reference material, and made most of the 3D models. It has been a very fun job working together on the project at the time.
    Note that everything (except the BeamNG stock material) is original, no recycled content in there.
    A lot of objects are the standard ones, and they are really excellent, especially the vegetation. Hats off Sam ;) I also like very much the semi dramatic "coming storm" sky :)

There are 2 main tracks; the big (and obvious) one, which is pretty much a ring, and the short one, when you pass next to the caravans. Yes, these guys host stock car racing between their caravans and stuff... The paths should be obvious by following the ruts.

Things should be quite optimized, with dds textures, and LOD's and billboards for repititive objects, such as the 3D spectators.
    Expect glitches, since I have very limited experience with BeamNG, and this thing has not been beta tested in any way... Your (constructive) feedback is welcome.

Also I'd love to see your screenshots and/or videos if you make any, so don't be shy posting here.

Moderator Update: Fixed missing cubemaps

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00030.jpg
    • screenshot_00029.jpg
    • screenshot_00028.jpg
    • screenshot_00027.jpg
    • screenshot_00026.jpg
    • screenshot_00024.jpg
    • screenshot_00022.jpg
    #1 DeGa, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

nice dude good to c u back

lets hope we have lots more fun maps like ROR can you do some more offroad maps like ladoga please? i always liked that style of map

3. Jay2007

Jay2007
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome.
    It will be nice to drive that track in a game.
    Lets see if it feels the same way as in reallife.

Nice work :D
    Keep it going!

4. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

This map work very well with high settings in Beamng.

Attached Files:

• 2015-04-22_00018.jpg
  5. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Do you have experience with the real track? If so, your feedback is more than welcome!

6. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Beautiful track. I like tracks that focus on a small area or a single purpose and do it well :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

I like it.

#7 g0tsl33p14, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  8. Jay2007

Jay2007
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I drove same laps on the real track last year.

Ok, I just had time for some laps, but the frist feeling was realy good. It felt like the real track.
    Especialy when crossing the finishline and then breaking hard to get the next turn :D

I think die scale is pretty good. The lenght of the straights fits quite good.
    I like the details you added to the track. It feels quite authentic. I just missed some rubbish in die corners ;)

Only the heightlevel does not fit to the real track. The pit area is not that flat in reallife.
    And the spectators area after the finishline is higher as far as i remember.
    Last but not least I missed the roughness of the track from the chuckholes and small gaps on the track.
    These ones that turns the steeringwheel by 90° :)

I did it pretty good. Its awesome to see such a small and unknown track in the best racing game!!!!

PS: If you need some more Information, or some Information in german just PM me ;)

9. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

I think there's something wrong with the tire tracks on the ground, they are very "pixely" at distance. IIRC, it has to do with the image format you save the image in. I will try and save it in multiple setting to see if I can fix it.
    Will return to this post when I've found a fix.

EDIT: Can't find solution. Should work with the DXT5, mipmaps and Super Sampling...

#9 BBQ, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Indeed... It's now saved as a dds texture with mip maps, so not too sure what can be done there. Let me know if you achieve better results.

11. luckyman

luckyman
    Expand Collapse

Sniff sniff Someone deserves a certain badge for coming back and making cooler objects :D I loved all your're work.

12. bits&bytes

bits&bytes
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing this map.

It’s perfectly suitable for some folkrace, banger, crazy cross or whatever.
    It contains even a massive figure eight track.

I also like the marshals which are standing next to the track and I swear I saw them move. Sometimes some of them turn 90 degrees. Or is it just my brain which is fucked up by playing too much Beamng ;)?
    I wish they could actually raise a yellow or red flag when something happens on the track.

Can’t wait until the devs implement some working racing AI. In the meantime I use the “keeping distance” AI which actually works pretty good on this track as long as you don’t drive to fast. And if you do so, then suddenly you will find a car lying in on the track in front of you which you have to dodge. Which is fun too.

Anyway this my favorite map for now. You can pick-up some nice speed on it, without breaking your driving shafts.

13. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Hey nice work man, interesting to see the map in BeamNG too :)

14. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

Great Track!
    I´m having great fun with it, good work :)

screenshot_00322.png screenshot_00330.jpg
    screenshot_00328.jpg screenshot_00325.jpg
    screenshot_00323.jpg screenshot_00331.png

15. PhilthyM

PhilthyM
    Expand Collapse

DeGa! i was wondering where you went :p i still play ror now and then, is there a link for the ror version of this map?

16. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys for the kind words. Jujune, pretty nice pictures, I like them ;)
    The marshals might "move" a bit due to the transition to billboards. Good that it adds a little bit of dynamics to the map!

Note that the RoR version has never been released and probably will never be.

#16 DeGa, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  17. Plissken

Plissken
    Expand Collapse

Those guys are so stoic I think the time is frozen. :p

Great map as always ! Glad to see you on BeamNG !
    However it truly deserve a matching groundmodel (and maybe depthmap). As you say you have limited experience : Find the kind of groundmodel you want in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\BeamNG.drive\lua\groundmodel.lua", choose one of the available name in lines that look like this : BeamEngine:setGroundModel(g, "dirt_grass") . Then rename your material to "dirt_grass", and you should have correct particles and physical properties. Reload the map if it doesn't work. Hope it helps.

Keep up the good work !

18. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

I'm not that sure about groundmodels. The dirt already has a quite appropriate one. With the grass, the problem is that I needed several different ground types for matching with the ground cover (some places have flowers A, B or C, etc.). Hence I can't call them all the same. I guess that at some point, the modders will be able to edit themselves the correspondance between the ground layers and the used groundmodels, without relying on hard-coded naming convention. When we're there, I'l definitely do. For now, I guess I'm taking the position that if they don't all work, I'd rather have none of them to work...
    I don't believe that I need to make use of a depthmap here. The slight "sinking" effect in the grass should be achieved through the groundcover I believe, other methods look quite artificial to me.
    Thanks for the tips though...

19. MacKovisch

MacKovisch
    Expand Collapse

Uhlenköper Ring in 3 minutes with Moonhawk by AR162B !

Enjoy !

#19 MacKovisch, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  20. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Great video MacKovisch! Thanks for posting. The inside track is intended for Motocross, hats off for not breaking the Moonhawk through that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice