Worst Crash You've Been In IRL

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Carlover0529, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Carlover0529

Carlover0529
    Expand Collapse

1. Where and when did it happen?
    2. What cars were involved?
    3. How fast were you going and what kind of crash was it?
    4. Describe the event(s) in the crash and leading up to the crash (optional)
    5. What was the aftermath?

I'll start. Post pics of it if you have any.

1. Waterford, MI, September 6, 2016, 5:06 PM
    2. Victim- Red Jeep Wrangler JK, Me- Gold 1998 Buick Regal LS
    3. I was going 38 and rear-ended the Jeep which was stopped
    4. I was going to meet my friend at a tattoo shop, I looked down to check my speed and when I looked up I saw she was stopped so I slammed on my brakes but they cut out so I tried steering out of the way but I didn't have enough time. My rear tires came off the ground, my airbags both went off. I remember it all seemed to happen in slow motion, my Pepsi flying onto the dashboard, my backpack slamming against the back of my seat. When I opened my eyes I was slumped over and had airbag burns on my hands and face. I checked to see if she was okay, she was fine, I was okay, just both shaken up.
    5. My Regal- Total Loss, frame damage, airbags went off, engine pushed backward. I now have constant back pain in one spot that feels like a pinched nerve, and occasional shin pain and chest pains.
    Jeep- Scuffed bumper with one crack in it, ding on the muffler. She was able to drive away with just minor whiplash.

Attached Files:

• 13424004_1078796145520193_59045425162547273_n.jpg
    • 14359122_1151153618284445_836804551696968242_n.jpg
    • 14333734_1151153614951112_5556211775601972443_n.jpg
    • 14322368_1151153611617779_2700431221793310370_n.jpg
    • 14364786_1151153671617773_3398119163469283515_n.jpg
  2. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

My mom rear ended someone a few years ago. I died. Also, earlier this year someone drove into me at a gas station parking lot. I died then as well.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Got a pretty weak one, hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Where and when: My neighborhood SW of Wasilla, sometime in the winter of 2013-2014
    What cars: Pontiac Sunbird driven by me
    How fast, what kind: Somewhere between 15-25 MPH, single-car ditching

Events: I was coming home on break (my job at the time was giving me hour lunches, and I'd forgotten my lunch that morning), making a routine right-angle turn at what I thought was a pretty reasonable speed even given the icy conditions (at the time I thought I was at the lower end of the range given above, though I'm no longer sure). Besides, the turn was slushy and full of gravel. I arrived at the corner to find that the slush, and the gravel I thought would give me traction, were completely iced over, which resulted in me having no steering and no brakes. As I slid helplessly, I realized that the plowed-up snowbank in front of me would probably have all the resistance of paper mache... and so it did, allowing me to punch through effortlessly and end up in a deep ditch in such a way that my right rear wheel was well in the air. Had to call my mother to come pull me out with a tow strap and her 4x4 SUV. She failed, as did a passerby. Finally someone came along with a 4x4 Nissan Titan and managed to yank me out without backing into a ditch himself.

Aftermath: This is probably what dented my gas tank. Somehow, I got home in time to wolf down my lunch, then back to work in time to not be late. My mother got another reason to think I'm a crazy driver (not that I don't intentionally nourish that idea).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Location: Outside of Baton Rouge, LA, Interstate 12, December 12th, 2008
    Involved cars:
    1. Aunt's 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
    2. 2002 Suzuki Forenza driven by the guy that hit us
    3. 2004 Chevrolet Malibu
    4. 2007 Honda Accord
    How fast, What type: 55-ish from the impact, offending car was driving at 85mph rear end crash

Aunt and I were driving to go up to visit relatives in another state, traffic on the highway came to a grinding halt, we were in the left lane with a rather large Ford F-350 in front of us, all of a sudden, we hear this long drawn out tire screech behind us, me being confused looked around, until aunt had gasped and tried to drive into the median, and next thing we knew. We're violently hit from the rear my aunt had managed to turn the wheel and swerve onto the grassy median, barely missing the pickup truck in front of us, and we flew past several cars before what was left of the brakes managed to slow the car down, smoke was pouring out of the AC vents, the SOS emergency call system kicked in and a 911 operator was already speaking to us through the speakers, my door was jammed, both of us were shaking. 911 operator assured us that EMS was on the way, and we managed to climb out, back end of the car was completely smashed, more so on the passenger side, the offending car, sat in a crumpled mess, pinned against two other cars in the right lane.

Aftermath: The car was a total loss, the whole rear end was all smashed in, passenger side doors were jammed, the rear right wheel had broken off, and the passenger seat I was sitting in had collapsed backward from the impact. The guy that hit us, his car's front end was smashed to the point that he couldn't open the door and had to climb out from the rear passenger door, the two cars he had hit after hitting us, he sideswiped the Honda, and clipped the front end of the Chevy. Injuries were minor to somewhat moderate, along with some bruising, the impact had hurt my aunt's shoulders badly, and to this day she has trouble lifting stuff above her head, and trips to the Chiropractor didn't help. I was shaken up from the crash, but made it out fine. The guy that hit us, had a bloody nose, broken glasses, and some bruises on his face. The infuriating and amazing thing was, when the officers were taking statements and asking questions, a witness said that he climbed out of the car, STILL TALKING on his phone. He was found at fault, insurance paid for the damages, or well, the Mercedes was written off, and she used the money to buy a new car. But overall, it traumatized her for a while after that crash.

She was scared of driving on the highway, and seeing identical cars of that Suzuki still makes her uncomfortable. I fared a bit better, although that violent impact had made me a little paranoid for a little while after that. I've heard and seen bad accidents before, but never have I expected to be in one just as bad and escaped it relatively fine, let alone a rear end crash.

5. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

1. St. Anthony Sand Dunes in Southern Idaho. October 10, 2016
    2. Just our side by side. Unless recovery vehicles count, then an F-150 was involved too.
    3. Not sure but probably about 30-40 mph. It was an end over end crash.
    4. I was driving along the edge of the dunes on an established trail with my dad in the passenger seat. I was driving pretty fast because I thought it was pretty much a straight shot back to the campground but I was wrong. I came up to a large dip I never would have expected to be there and barely had time to hit the brakes, which probably just made it worse. From there we started tumbling and ended up doing two full end-over-end rotations, landing on the wheels. Same as CarLover, things seemed to be going in slow motion.
    IMG_0833.JPG
    You can see where we hit on the hillside. The first mark was the front tires, then the rear, front again, then all the way back onto the wheels.
    5. The radiator, driver side suspension and box are all completely destroyed. We hit with so much force that the windshield mounts broke. My dad hit the glove box pretty hard at some point which broke him and the glove box. We both ended up with some whiplash but other than that we came out surprisingly unscathed.
    Front damage:
    IMG_0832.JPG
    I had been driving with the guy who owns Boondocker and another guy who owns Timbersled all weekend and managing to keep up so I was pretty bummed when I made such a stupid mistake. I learned a lesson though and now I have a pretty good story to tell.

6. Carlover0529

Carlover0529
    Expand Collapse

Glad all you guys are okay, those seem pretty scary. I replaced my Buick with an 00 Lexus, but got no insurance due to no-fault liability-only. As with Nismo's aunt, I can't do certain things when I drive like listen to Led Zep or drive around red Jeeps. You never understand how scary it is until it happens but I'm just glad you're all fine :^)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

Does a skiing crash count? :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I was quite a moron back when I was 20, your average rebellious guy, you know.

I loved to bend the elbow and to drive my car pretty hard. Bad habits in their own rights that get a lot worse combined.

That's how I split a Type 175 Fiat Coupè against a tree. How I got my licence suspended for 6 months. How I got myself 3 compressed vertebrae. How my personal 4-wheeled mean of transportation turned from oddball looking italian sportscar into wheelchair for the next 12 months.

Lesson to be learned: don't be a dick. Don't drink and drive.

Been straight-edge since then, that incident also thaught me moderation and a bit of well-mannered behaviour.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr. Avanzato

Mr. Avanzato
    Expand Collapse

theres not many bad crashes I have been in just crahing into a minivan at 30 or 40 mph and a corolla vs a metal pole.
    the corolla was this year and the minivan was in last year or the year before almost ripped the bumper off.

10. jusOnedrift777

jusOnedrift777
    Expand Collapse

I was waiting for my mum to get some cash from a cash point in Flitwick.. Must have been about 5 years ago i was twelve at the time. Anyway i was waiting in the Polo when some hillbilly in a transit truck thing reversed into the front of the Polo. i just felt a large bang and looked up. He got out and seemed very sorry lol. The only damage was a bent plastic grill and a chunk out of the number plate holder.

11. Carlover0529

Carlover0529
    Expand Collapse

That sucks! I always liked the 175's, but at least you got a good lesson out of it.
    Not bad for 30 mph, glad nobody was severely injured.
    Better a dent than the whole car!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr. Avanzato

Mr. Avanzato
    Expand Collapse

Just a broken finger nothing major a few bruises.

13. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Similar thing almost happened to me while I was drivng around the neighborhood on a dirt road only doing like 30 in my family's side by side and it turned out there was like a 60 degree slope at the other side of the hill that I barely noticed... once again probably because of my dad yelling at me same with when I almost drove into a brick wall or off the road completely at a 3 way intersection and when I was driving on the wrong side of the road briefly twice. I'm not a bad driver, I'm just a bit oblivious

14. JayPlaysBeamNG

JayPlaysBeamNG
    Expand Collapse

Okay...
    Got 2 candidates...
    1: I was a baby.
    My parents were driving along a highway in New York City to the Bronx. Then we rear-ended this Subaru Outback, which got pushed into a Porsche Panamera.
    IDK how fast we were going, but nobody was hurt.

2: I was older.
    My mom was driving through Washington DC then she hit a tree.

15. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

I've been lucky worst car to car crash I've been in was a tire to tire impact at between 10 and 20 mph, nobody was hurt(which is surprising considering the thing I was driving was a total deathtrap and I didnt even bother with seatbelts because I figured either way in a hard crash I would die), and the only thing that was even slightly damaged was my pride. At the moment of impact I thought that something in the car just broke that somehow caused an abrupt stop, took me a bit to realize that the car next to me may have been the cause of the sudden stop.

My worst non car to car crash was at night in the same deathtrap of a vehicle and this time I decided not to wear sunglasses because I was lazy, it was dark and the roads were empty, so I drove around the block for a bit and on my way back home I got into an impact at about 25-30mph directly to my eye with a bug of some kind, luckly it died on impact but it got stuck between my eye and eyelid so that was a bit painful until I had it pulled out.

...so overall my worse crash I have been in was with a tiny bug...

16. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The Panamera came out in 2009-10. If you were a baby when that happened you can't be more than 10 years old now

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JayPlaysBeamNG

JayPlaysBeamNG
    Expand Collapse

well maybe I don't remember correctly I know it was a porsche

18. Locofan2003

Locofan2003
    Expand Collapse

I was in my mom's VW Golf riding shotgun, we got T-Boned by an old Buick and i was sitting exactly where the Buick hit us. That's how i got the memory loss i still live with!

19. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

1. At a neighborhood in FL, (I wasn't there)
    2. MB C-Class 230 Kompressor (Ours) , another MB (idk which one I wasn't there) and a Toyota Sienna.
    3. 3 way crash in the rear end, me parents were in the front, the sienna behind us, then a texting teenager in a MB suv rams into the sienna, which rammed into us.
    5. The sienna's front + Back = rip, our MB's back = rip, the MB SUV's front = rip.

20. Mr. Avanzato

Mr. Avanzato
    Expand Collapse

cayenne from 2003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice